Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

In war, does anything go?

+8
Lyric Todkill
Keegan
gloswhite
Angry Dad
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1In war, does anything go? Empty In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 10:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Look at this, a "farmer" blown to bits by an american chopper is mockingly serenaded by his executioner.

Bit sick isn't it, but in a war does morality go out window?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2169418/US-helicopter-strike-blasts-Afghan-man-pilot-sings-Bye-bye-Miss-American-Pie.html

2In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 11:23

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

In the wider sense, no, I don't think 'anything goes' at time of war.

However I'm not particularly disgusted by the video because the context is not known. The victim could be a suicide bomber on his way to blowing up civilians. We just don't know.

It did remind me of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the nutcase is shooting random people out of the helicopter though.

3In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 11:28

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot of soldiers become desensitized at some of the things they have witnessed in conflict. Making a joke of a tragedy is a way of letting off steam.

Like LH says for all we know they were not farmers but members of the Taliban. The American Troops don't make a habit of blowing farmers up for no good reason. It's not good for morale.

4In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 13:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

If anyone is interested in stuff like this then I strongly recommend you read a book by Jim Frederick, called 'Black Hearts'.

It tells the true story of a platoon of American soldiers in Iraq in 2005 who see their mates blown to pieces, captured and beheaded, extremely poor leadership culture from above and how a group of them ended up committing an atrocity.

I picked the book up for £2.99 at one of those high street cheap book chains (sorry can't think of their name) - for that price I thought I could chuck it away if I could not get into it - and found that it was the best book I've read in ages.

5In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 13:31

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Yes.

6In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 18:14

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

No, it doesn't. Circumstances may change, but the basic tenet of protecting the innocent should never be violated, reagardless of which 'side' they belong to. Anyone who is involved, in whatever way, is fair game, but should still be handled in proportion to what they have done. 'Minimum force' is more of an ideal than a reality, but should still be adhered to whenever possible. Over-reactions to situations should always be taken in context, and that includes both mental and physical considerations.

7In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 19:45

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

The soldier has found that removing the humanity from the situation makes it easier to deal with. Understandable, in my view. I don't think 'anything goes', however.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

8In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 20:50

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Angry Dad wrote:Yes.

indeed

9In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:04

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

We are not at war.What happened in Iraq and now in Afghanistan is totally unacceptable. Tens of thousands (although we will never know how many) of innocent civilians killed, mainly by the Americans. They did the same in Vietnam (what the hell were they doing in Vietnam). They couldn't match the north Vietnamese fighting them in the jungle so resorted to mass carpet bombing resulting again in thousands of innocent civilians losing their lives. The Americans with their stupid love of guns have brought us to were we are now but will never be brought to account.

10In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:27

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

yesbutno wrote:We are not at war.What happened in Iraq and now in Afghanistan is totally unacceptable. Tens of thousands (although we will never know how many) of innocent civilians killed, mainly by the Americans. They did the same in Vietnam (what the hell were they doing in Vietnam). They couldn't match the north Vietnamese fighting them in the jungle so resorted to mass carpet bombing resulting again in thousands of innocent civilians losing their lives. The Americans with their stupid love of guns have brought us to were we are now but will never be brought to account.

they were fighting communism, which is most noble

11In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:45

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

So you think communism is noble?

I don't think it's noble but must admit it has its good points.

12In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:34

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I'm with YEsbut on this. Not only did the Yanks bomb the crap out of Vietnam, and Iraq but think it's ok to wipe-out villages in Pakistan. But that's ok because the whole world (apart from those mussers) just loves us. Go on you Englanders admit it. Don't you really wish you were American.

13In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:43

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

yesbutno wrote:So you think communism is noble?

I don't think it's noble but must admit it has its good points.
No i think if you read it again he means its noble to fight communism.

14In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:47

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Why is it noble to fight someone who has a different view than yourself on the way the cake should be shared out.

15In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sat Jul 07 2012, 11:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The problem with Vietnam was that the Americans were fighting an ideal, and could not differentiate who was ally and who was enemy. Because of this they resorted to the 'American way', which as we saw didn't work, and certainly caused more deaths and misery that such an approach demanded. Unhfortunately, their view of the world doesn't seem to have changed, nor their role in it.

16In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sat Jul 07 2012, 20:04

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

No the problem with Vietnam was not that they couldn't differentiate but that they have this massive sense of entitlement and don't care how many die. We are the best god damn country in the world and we know what's best for you. (Don't forget we can always 'nuke' you)

17In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sat Jul 07 2012, 20:55

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

You're right in that they have no concept of how to deal with other countries, and how they see themselves. Read something the other day, where they are beginning to wonder just where they are, (especially with Obama's shambolic foreign policies), and are beginning to get very nervous with the financial and military power of China. When you add to that the Soviet threat is beginning to rise again, then its a bit worrying if they (the Americans) try their 'We know best' approach to things.

18In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sun Jul 08 2012, 07:19

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Iran will be a problem. We mustn't tell the Americans that we will support them. They will find it harder to take the military option if they are on their own. Not for troop numbers but world opinion.

Anyway huge new oil (shale) reserves have been found in the US and with the high price making exploration more attractive their Middle East adventures may be less important to them.

19In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sun Jul 08 2012, 10:43

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

CB, you're right, being a more established democracy, etc, we are often taken along for the vote rather than any material support. I agree with the comment about the shale oil, but the down side is that when you get idiots like Ahmadinejad, to leave them alone coulds be extremely dangerous. It would seem liket we need the Americans to push the indecisive UN to actually doing something, but without their gung-ho attitude.

20In war, does anything go? Empty Re: In war, does anything go? Sun Jul 08 2012, 11:49

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I never really knew anything about Vietnam so I read a bit last night - I had no idea how long it went on for. Yonks. And yonks.

You see a lot of films about the war and it seems to always portray Americans as "goodies" who save the day. Very propaganda-ry.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum