Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was either penalty a penalty?

+12
Soul Kitchen
Boggersbelief
King Bill
Bwfc1958
Norpig
okocha
bryan458
xmiles
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
whatsgoingon
Bolton Nuts
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Which do you agree with most?

Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_lcap26%Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_rcap 26% [ 5 ]
Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_lcap32%Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_rcap 32% [ 6 ]
Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_lcap0%Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_lcap16%Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_rcap 16% [ 3 ]
Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_lcap26%Was either penalty a penalty? Vote_rcap 26% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 10:34

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Simple really, vote for your choice and comment below.

We have had our fair share of bad luck in penalties not given or given against us harshly over the last few months - I don't know - you wait all season for a soft penalty and then two come along at once.

Would you have given them Would you have been disappointed if they had been given against us?

I honestly thought the ref was running over to book Clough for the first one!

So, make your choice...

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 10:35

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I would have been furious had the first one been awarded against us, at the time would have been furious with second too but with hindsight would have accepted that one.

3Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They were both dives, if the ref had given them to Bury there would have been a riot.

4Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The first was a clear dive as Clough hurled himself down at the slightest touch but the ref was behind Maher so couldn't see the side view which exonerated Maher. Understandable why it was given but I'd have expected the linesman to see it and intervene.
The second was simply Clough getting outmuscled in a fifty-fifty but he flew through the air and made it look far more dramatic than it actually was.
Neither pen was a clear cut foul in the box and I wouldn't have awarded either. That said, we deserved to win the game on the balance of play - it's just unfortunate that we don't have the firepower to have taken other chances so that we are seen to have won fair and square.

5Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Clough should be fined and banned but the "laws" don't allow that.

6Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:33

Both stone wall penalties.  We are lucky Clough can still walk after both of them.  Big bad nasty Bury.

7Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:36

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Clough should be fined and banned but the "laws" don't allow that.
Welcome to modern football, a manager will congratulate him on that and it wouldn't surprise me if work is done on it in training.
Footballers spend 90 minutes trying to con officials into making wrong decisions then bleat like babies when they do and it goes against them.
I think the second one was a penalty (albeit a soft one) but the first was a shocker, but that said we've had plenty where we should have had one and didn't get it.
He might be a diver but he's our diver  Very Happy

8Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:44

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

whatsgoingon wrote:

Smile Remember Diouf?

9Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:45

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:

Smile  Remember Diouf?
Yes he might have been a diving spitting wife beating drunk driver, but he was our diving spitting wife beating drunk driver  Very Happy

10Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:54

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

y2j 3.0 wrote:Both stone wall penalties.  We are lucky Clough can still walk after both of them.  Big bad nasty Bury.
:agree: bang on !!!!

11Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:57

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bryan458 wrote:
y2j 3.0 wrote:Both stone wall penalties.  We are lucky Clough can still walk after both of them.  Big bad nasty Bury.
:agree: bang on !!!!
Ok I'll play too, they were lucky to finish with eleven men on the pitch, both surefire reds

12Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 12:05

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't get this term "soft" penalty. If the attacker is held, barged, impeded or tripped, it's a penalty, simple as that. If he'd been outside the box, free kicks would definitely have been given, so the same applies inside the box.

The Sky replays show clearly that Clough was tripped and manhandled, so both were correct decisions. They also show that he did not make a meal of the fouls, falling --understandably given his speed and light weight-- without histrionics at the obvious contact.

What about holding and shoving in the box from corners? Are we going to start calling these "soft" penalties when correctly awarded? Refs began the season by implementing the crackdown on defenders pulling or impeding attackers, but it is they, the refs, who seem to have now gone "soft" again. Uphold the laws until players get the message that annoying foul play will not go unpunished

13Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 12:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:

The Sky replays show clearly that Clough was tripped and manhandled, so both were correct decisions. They also show that he did not make a meal of the fouls, falling --understandably given his speed and light weight-- without histrionics at the obvious contact.

Understand what you are saying but the SKY replay which I watched several times showed that there was no initial contact with Clough at foot level i.e. he wasn't tripped but rather thrust his feet backward as he dived to try to make contact with Maher. Shpuld have been booked IMO.

As regards "manhandling" the difference for me is that whilst contact is permissible, it is cheating when a player throws himself down to pretend he has been pushed i.e. the reaction should be proportionate to the weight of the contact - which clearly wasn't the case last night. The second penalty looked like a fair challenge to me i.e. Clough showed too much of the ball and had basically lost possession when he fell over after coming into contact with the defender's shoulder.

14Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 12:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i don't care, they were awarded and we scored, end of.

15Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 12:27

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:i don't care, they were awarded and we scored, end of.
and we've had enough stonewallers this season not given to feel guilty

16Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 12:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i don't care, they were awarded and we scored, end of.

Fair enough. That's all that will be remembered even though the pens were controversial.
Although to me it raised the issue that in both cases, if Clough had been just that bit quicker he'd have got the shots off before the defenders arrived and we wouldn't even be discussing it.

17Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 13:51

Sky edited the footage cos they fucking hate us cos they aint us

18Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Tue Oct 25 2016, 14:43

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

They were never penalties. I would have been pissed off if they'd been given against us. 

Do I care? 

Do I fuck as like. We're due the luck and I'm happy to take it.

19Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Wed Oct 26 2016, 10:00

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

First. Pen. Clough was going nowhere, Maher didn't back off, made contact and paid the price. 

Second. Pen. Clough was in front of the defender when he deliberately pushed him off the ball.

Some 'fans' moan when we don't score and moan when we do.

20Was either penalty a penalty? Empty Re: Was either penalty a penalty? Wed Oct 26 2016, 10:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

King Bill wrote:First. Pen. Clough was going nowhere, Maher didn't back off, made contact and paid the price. 

Second. Pen. Clough was in front of the defender when he deliberately pushed him off the ball.

Some 'fans' moan when we don't score and moan when we do.

Who moaned that we got a penalty?

The first one was never a penalty, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum