Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson calls for some back-up ahead of Grimsby FA Cup clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson believes a winning attitude is spreading right across his squad.

With injury problems stacking up, the Wanderers boss may have to make do and mend for tomorrow’s Emirates FA Cup first round clash with Grimsby Town.

Without a handful of key midfielders, Parkinson has been delighted to see the players he has drafted into the team – Liam Trotter, Tom Thorpe, Derik Osede – have blended in seamlessly in a side which has won its last six games in all competitions.

Faced with further changes against the Mariners, the Whites boss is confident that whoever he calls upon will be capable of booking a place in the second round.

“I think Trotter is a good example – and one I used after the game on Saturday in the dressing room – because he’d had a couple of poor games, had missed training with one or two niggles, and he’s a player who really needs to train,” he told The Bolton News.s

“But as I said to the lads, when they are out of the team they really need to train hard. They can be as disappointed and disillusioned as they like but once they walk on to the training pitch the standard have to be maintained.

“If you can do that you’ve got a better chance of staying in the team and performing well.

“I keep on at them all the time – make sure the supporters see them doing the extra running after games, or when they come in on a Monday morning without the lads who have been in the team, all those little bits are bolted on. Their attitude has been spot on just recently.”

Parkinson watched the likes of Chris Taylor, Dean Moxey, Jamie Proctor, Ben Alnwick and Max Clayton carve out a convincing 4-1 win over Hull City’s Under-23s in midweek, underlining his point about the outlook within his squad.

Taylor scored twice and is now knocking heavily on the door for a first team recall after a month in the wilderness.

“I was pleased with that because North Ferriby wasn’t the greatest surface, the floodlights were poor and it could have been a night where the senior pros didn’t perform. But their attitude was excellent and they got a great workout,” the manager said.

“If you play for the Under-23s and you go through the motions you might as well not bother playing.

“All the lads who played contributed to a really good win for us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum