Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Checkatrade Trophy exit should be no great shakes for Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Defeat at Cheltenham in the Checkatrade Trophy did not exactly measure on the Richter Scale at Wanderers but will there be after-shocks?

The general reaction among fans as Amari Morgan-Smith’s 90th minute penalty earned the League Two side a famous notch on their belt was one of nonchalance.

Even Phil Parkinson, who had been barking and snarling on the touchline for most of the second half, had calmed down considerably by the time he spoke to the local media after the game.

But with more high-profile challenges on the horizon, the Whites boss must be careful history does not repeat itself.

Few supporters had mourned the 2-0 reverse against Everton’s Under-23s back in August, after all their team was sitting atop League One with four wins from their first five games. We all know what happened next: Supporters did not witness another win for 35 barren days.

Parkinson’s electric start had earned him the Sky Bet Manager of the Month award for August yet the contrast in the following month could not have been more pronounced.

Yesterday morning we learned that he has once again been shortlisted for the prize alongside in-form striker Zach Clough – and, as harsh as it seems, there will be a section of Wanderers supporters hoping he doesn’t get another trophy for the mantelpiece and a chance to tempt fate.

Parkinson hopes his side can take a minor setback in their stride. He made six changes to the team which beat Grimsby Town in the FA Cup and with a handful of players also on the return from injury his starting line-up could potentially have a very different look about it at London Road.

There is no question he was looking on the bright side of a defeat against lower league opposition when he described himself “perfectly happy” with his players’ performance on the night, perhaps in an effort not to create too many negative headlines.

More tellingly, the club did not allow any of their players to come out of the dressing room and give their side of events on a bitterly cold night. The damage may have been minimal, but this was a limitation exercise nevertheless.

“I think we played quite well,” said Parkinson, a smile now returned to his face after a running battle with his opposite number Gary Johnson on the Whaddon Road touchline. “They hardly had a kick of the ball in the second half and then right at the end I think the lad bought the penalty.

“We dominated, spread the ball, got into some very good positions, which was all great. Their keeper made a brilliant save from Proccy but we just couldn’t get that goal.

“Going there on a cold Tuesday night with the rain lashing down, I thought the attitude of the lads was great.

“You want to win every game and I think you saw the determination of the lads, there was nothing wrong with it. We just couldn’t find that moment of quality.

“We probably didn’t make the keeper work enough. They cleared one off the line in the first half but I think we dominated.

“We gave a lot of players a chance tonight but if there’s a way to lose a game, I think this is it.”

Kevin Friend, the Midlands referee who has watched over Wanderers games since the Premier League days, did have a second-half discussion with Parkinson after tempers flared in the second-half of Tuesday night’s game.

After the final whistle the Whites boss, who also squared up with Robins chief Gary Johnson after the game to air his views, explained what had made him so hot under the collar.

“I was a bit frustrated because I thought they were buying fouls,” he said. “We had an experienced ref and I had a chat with him.

“I had a call from the LMA this week to ask what I thought of the refereeing this season so far. Generally I don’t have that many complaints but it does frustrate me when teams buy fouls and the ref doesn’t identify it earlier in the game.

“It is only a minor complaint. We have a good run of games to look forward to now.”

Unsurprisingly, Johnson backed his striker on the penalty claim and said his team had done enough to warrant a place in the next round of the competition.

“He got tripped,” said the former Yeovil and Bristol City manager. “He got to the ball first.

“I am pleased we won it because we looked a strong unit.

“They are a good side. You can see why they are at the top of the division and Phil has got them working hard. There are some Championship-quality players there. But I thought we were dangerous, particularly in the first half, and I am pleased for the fans.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum