Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 4-0 Gillingham - Match Report Post #32

+18
Bwfc1958
Hip Priest
boltonbonce
okocha
bryan458
finlaymcdanger
karlypants
Lard Lad
MartinBWFC
Soul Kitchen
whatsgoingon
wessy
observer
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
Boggersbelief
gloswhite
Bread2.0
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Never ever thought id give Madine MOTM, best performance this season, yet another fucking utter shit league 1 ref, Chris Taylor WTF !!!!!

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

A complete performance, Not seen us so entertaining for a long time....and very solid at the back. We actually looked classy! Need a lie down!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brilliant stuff. I'm going to bed happy.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Some good performances again tonight keeper both full backs and a solid back four. 

Midfield closing down, running into space Vela looks like a different player, Clough two assists and Madine finally getting some reward for his hard work, and Ameobe making Nat look like a real plonker what a goal.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Ameobi has come on leaps and bounds in the last month. Sure he drops bollox but he's one of those players that can get your arse off the seat, and we haven't had much of that this year.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Wow ! The most complete performance I've seen for I don't know how long. Well done the boys. Absolutely excellent.  :clap:

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bryan458 wrote:Never ever thought id give Madine MOTM, best performance this season, yet another fucking utter shit league 1 ref, Chris Taylor WTF !!!!!
Exactly, WTF Parkinson sees in that shithouse god only knows, he's so shit he actually is comedy gold.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Great performance tonight. Can't remember when I last enjoyed going to the match so much.
I do feel a bit sorry for Chris Taylor. I can remember him being a pretty decent player for Blackburn but he just looks truly awful at the moment. Doesn't even look like a football player these days. Easy to see why his previous club released him and why Parky signed him up I've no idea.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The most complete performance in a long time, Alnwick looks very calm as he should with that defence in front, Wheater and Beevers imperious, two fullbacks improving every game and a midfield that's dominated from start to finish, the closing down was Barcelonaesque and so was some of the passing topped off with one of the most dominant centre forward displays I've seen in a white shirt since SKD.
Hopefully that will whet people's appetite and get them out of their armchairs and start increasing the crowds, we're starting to look like the real deal.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

As I work weekends and never get chance to get to the match I decided at the last minute to get down there and I wasn't disappointed. The pressing was good again and for the first time in years we look like a team rather than a bunch of clueless individuals and the goals were first class. If some of those goals were scored by Citeh or Chelsea we'd never hear the end.

Having said that, Gillingham were shite. As good as we were they didn't half make it easy. They spent most of the game just backing off and letting us do what we wanted. There was no closing down and thwy had no awareness about them whatsoever. They had wide men who had no intention of ever tracking back and were terrible at marking literally anybody. They couldn't even take a legal throw in at one point.

You can only beat what's put in front of you though and we took full advantage and did it with a bit of style which is nice to see. You would have to say that that performance is above and beyond anything else you are likely to see in this division so for a change, things are looking good.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bwfc1958 wrote:As I work weekends and never get chance to get to the match I decided at the last minute to get down there and I wasn't disappointed. The pressing was good again and for the first time in years we look like a team rather than a bunch of clueless individuals and the goals were first class. If some of those goals were scored by Citeh or Chelsea we'd never hear the end.

Having said that, Gillingham were shite. As good as we were they didn't half make it easy. They spent most of the game just backing off and letting us do what we wanted. There was no closing down and thwy had no awareness about them whatsoever. They had wide men who had no intention of ever tracking back and were terrible at marking literally anybody. They couldn't even take a legal throw in at one point.

You can only beat what's put in front of you though and we took full advantage and did it with a bit of style which is nice to see. You would have to say that that performance is above and beyond anything else you are likely to see in this division so for a change, things are looking good.
In all fairness Gillingham were only as good as we allowed them to be and it was a dominant performance from start to finish all over the pitch, and we have shown that in glimpses recently so to see it maintained for a full 90 minutes is the thing I'm most pleased about.
Everytime we lost the ball we hunted in packs to get it back and they didn't have the ability to cope with that,we scored four goals and their goalkeeper was probably their best player.
The biggest compliment I can say to Bolton tonight is that Gillingham will play like they did last night in other games this season and get a result, we were just too good last night.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton 4-0 Gillingham

IN BRIEF

Wanderers moved back into Sky Bet League One's top two with an emphatic 4-0 victory over Gillingham in front of the television cameras on Monday night.

The deadlock was broken inside 14 minutes with Gary Madine nodding home a Josh Vela cross, while the academy graduate turned goalscorer just short of the half hour mark when slotting home a cheeky Zach Clough back-heel.

Madine then doubled his tally in the 65th minute of the clash when heading a Jay Spearing free-kick past the Gills’ keeper, while Sammy Ameobi made it four with ten minutes to go with an absolute piledriver from distance to cap off a memorable evening for Phil Parkinson's men.

TEAM NEWS

Wanderers were unchanged in their starting XI from the side who began the Emirates FA Cup game against Sheffield United nine days previous.

FIRST HALF

The home side started brightly in the clash, with Gary Madine flashing an effort from distance just wide of the post inside three minutes.

It was very much one-way traffic, but on a rare foray downfield the Gills almost snatched the lead against the run of play as Max Ehmer saw a thunderous shot blocked with Ben Alnwick a beaten man.

Up the other end of the pitch meanwhile, Josh Vela’s half volley flew agonisingly wide of the upright with Macron Stadium on their feet.

And the deadlock was broken in the 14th minute as a superb cross-field ball from Vela found Madine in the area, with the big frontman given the simple task of nodding home past a helpless Stuart Nelson.

Buoyed by their opener, Bolton proceeded to power forward in their numbers in a bid to extend their lead with the Gills at sixes and sevens at the back.

Justin Edinburgh’s side just couldn’t cope with the Whites, with Nelson having to be at his best to deny Zach Clough at range soon after.

Again though, the visitors were looking a threat on the counter with Frank Nouble firing an effort down the throat of Alnwick in the 28th minute.

They didn’t have to wait too long to add to their tally however, with a beautifully crafted move between Clough and Vela seeing the latter calmly slot beneath Nelson from a clever back-heel with the goalkeeper simply unable to do anything to prevent it.

It was a joy to watch as Wanderers pushed to add more goals, with those inside Macron Stadium on the edge of their seats at the clock ran down to half time.

A third appeared to have arrived just before the break, with Sammy Ameobi’s effort being parried out by Nelson, but Clough’s rebounded effort was adjudged to be offside.

Come the end of the opening 45 however, it was just the two goals for the Whites.

SECOND HALF

With no changes at the break, proceedings got back underway and the Trotters were right back on it, looking to extend their lead. 

The visitors almost grabbed a lifeline against the run of play however, with Jake Hessenthaler’s header seemingly bound for the back of the net, only for Wanderers’ blushes to be spared.

Gillingham were certainly enjoying more time in Bolton territory inside the opening stages of the second period, but Bolton were soaking up any pressure put their way while Alnwick was simply being called upon for simple collections.

On the hour mark meanwhile, a third goal looked to have arrived as Spearing’s drive stung the palms of Nelson, with Madine unable to tuck the ball away from a tight angle on the rebound.

That goal however arrived with 25 minutes of the game remaining as Madine made no mistake at the second time of asking, nodding home a Spearing free-kick with ease to the delight of the Macron faithful.

Wanderers visibly weren’t finished for the night, with substitute Chris Taylor seeing an angled drive blocked by the Gills keeper shortly after.

Gillingham simply couldn’t cope with the Whites, with Phil Parkinson’s side running riot as the clock ticked down to full time.

And it was four with ten minutes to go, Ameobi the man this time with an absolutely sensational strike from distance to send the Bolton fans into raptures.

Completely and utterly deserved by the Trotters, the final stages of the clash brought a penalty shout for substitute Keshi Anderson and a golden opportunity for James Henry inside the six yard box, but ultimately it mattered not at the final whistle as Wanderers ran out emphatic winners.

FULL TIME

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Probably our best performance since dicking Wigan 3-1 early in Neil Lennon's reign.

Defence looked solid, Spearing and Thorpe superb, and even the front men looked lively.

I fully expect us to get dicked at Chesterfield now, we never put two good performances together.

As for Ameobi, he was his usual self, his goal apart what did he actually do?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

He showed us what a ridiculous haircut he has. 
Other than that, he scared the defence, made some, (a few), good passes, drew out the defence, and scored a cracker of a goal. Other than that, I agree, he did nothing  Very Happy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Best performance of the season so far. Chesterfield must be quaking in their boots.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No Trotter......no coincidence??  Much more pace, movement and purposefulness. Laughing

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Re: The Ameoba, I commented on the Chatbox last night that he reminded me of Glen Hoddle.

Seriously.....

His link up play behind the front two was imperious and his ability to spot (and play) a clever pass to create space was exceptional.

I can fully see why Newcastle can't find a place for him in the Championship because he's a bit of a luxury, but in the 3rd Division, he's a real asset.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How many chances did he create? How many assists?

BIG FAT ZERO.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Clearly, he has turned your advances down in the not too distant past!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Clearly, he has turned your advances down in the not too distant past!!

I can do better. Pratley has been showing interest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum