Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » The future....

The future....

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:34

Bwfc1958

Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Found this article interesting and can actually see this stuff coming to pass in the not too distant future. Does anybody actually have a job that couldn't be done by some sort of technology? 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/future-predictions-article-dr-robert-m-goldman-andrew-woodward

2 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:36

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
No way could a robot run Whittam International plc.

3 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:42

rammywhite

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Bwfc1958 wrote:Found this article interesting and can actually see this stuff coming to pass in the not too distant future. Does anybody actually have a job that couldn't be done by some sort of technology? 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/future-predictions-article-dr-robert-m-goldman-andrew-woodward

Vast parts of my job are now dependent on technology-and that will increase in the future.
Why should I go and stand in front of a class and lecture to them when I can record it and they can watch it at their leisure.
But as I'm retiring this year I couldn't give a monkeys what happens

4 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:43

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
rammywhite wrote:
Vast parts of my job are now dependent on technology-and that will increase in the future.
Why should I go and stand in front of a class and lecture to them when I can record it and they can watch it at their leisure.
But as I'm retiring this year I couldn't give a monkeys what happens

Selfish.

5 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:57

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
This is how Skynet started.

(Just saying.)

And how's this for a consideration: Most commercial airliners nowadays could happily fly you to your holiday destination without the aid of a human pilot sitting up front.

And I mean take off, flight and landing - all automated.

I read somewhere once that he chances of pilot having a heart attack at the wheel (yoke?) are about 1 in 50,000 or something and the odds of his back up also becoming incapacitated take it to about 1 in 5 million or something.

The odds of a catastrophic systems failure in a plane's hi-tech flight management computer system which would result in the plane crashing are about 1 in 25 million, ie still considerably less than both pilots croaking.

But would you get on a plane with no pilot?

Na, me neither.

6 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:08

Norpig

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
i long for the day a robot can wash my bedpans, save me the job and i can spend more time on here

7 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:15

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Does one of these robots fancy driving me to glasgow tomorrow so i can sleep?

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

8 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:16

Norpig

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
self driving cars will be on the roads in the next 20 years i reckon, i might even get a car myself then

9 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:41

Bollotom2014

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Self drive cars, driverless trains, pilotless aeroplanes, (as pointed out by Bread), crewless ships, workerless factories and warehouses, construction workerless houses, gravediggerless cemteries.
   You could have total automation in a few years. But the friggin' benefits bill would soar.

10 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:08

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I was just about to say that it's not garlic bread when I read the title. Very Happy

11 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:09

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't hold your breath. In 1960's they predicted we'd have robots running everything from industry to private homes within 20 years. We had TV dinners then, but that died a death. And where the f*** is my jetpack?

TBF Tomorrow's World accurately predicted the advent of the mobile phone, ATMs, touch screens, laser eye surgery etc but they were a long time coming and many more predictions still haven't materialised.
Especially the jetpack. Always wanted one.

Why I apparently can't have an effing jetpack....

12 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:09

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

13 Re: The future.... on Tue Jan 03 2017, 18:42

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Really enjoyed that article, Lusty.

So much so that I clicked on the link to his Twatter page and have just bought his book.

Now that's the real power of modern technology....

14 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 08:48

whatsgoingon

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:self driving cars will be on the roads in the next 20 years i reckon, i might even get a car myself then
Tesla have one on the road now, every Tesla sold now has an upgrade option of complete self drive.
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/all-tesla-cars-being-produced-now-have-full-self-driving-hardware

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Wed Jan 04 2017, 08:54; edited 1 time in total

15 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 08:52

whatsgoingon

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
wanderlust wrote:Don't hold your breath. In 1960's they predicted we'd have robots running everything from industry to private homes within 20 years. We had TV dinners then, but that died a death. And where the f*** is my jetpack?

TBF Tomorrow's World accurately predicted the advent of the mobile phone, ATMs, touch screens, laser eye surgery etc but they were a long time coming and many more predictions still haven't materialised.

The reason you can't get a jetpack is that you are not allowed to discriminate against one person and it is considered a potential national disaster in the making Bonce having one.

16 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 09:14

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Get stuffed self driving cars. Made it to Glasgow in 3 hours and twenty minutes and slept most of the way.

17 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 09:46

Norpig

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
y2johnny wrote:Get stuffed self driving cars. Made it to Glasgow in 3 hours and twenty minutes and slept most of the way.
 sounds like the Father Ted episode where he falls asleep behind the wheel and wakes up next morning and is still going  Very Happy

18 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 12:05

gloswhite

Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
I wouldn't mind one that can be used when required. I came down from Paisley to Cheltenham on the 2nd Jan, and a 5' 30'' (ish) journey took 8'15'' because of the traffic. Even then, I was glad I didn't have a manual box, with all the stop-start driving.

19 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 12:26

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
No matter how many times I re-read that, I still keep hearing "8 foot, 15 inches" in my head.

20 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 13:36

Bollotom2014

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Bread2.0 wrote:No matter how many times I re-read that, I still keep hearing "8 foot, 15 inches" in my head.

It struck me as 8 minutes 15 seconds in navigation terms. 

>Smart Ass hat on< Isn't 8 foot 15 inches, 9 foot 3 inches? >Smart Ass hat off<

21 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 13:36

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
whatsgoingon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Don't hold your breath. In 1960's they predicted we'd have robots running everything from industry to private homes within 20 years. We had TV dinners then, but that died a death. And where the f*** is my jetpack?

The reason you can't get a jetpack is that you are not allowed to discriminate against one person and it is considered a potential national disaster in the making Bonce having one.
Harsh,but probably true. Very Happy

22 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:23

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Norpig wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Get stuffed self driving cars. Made it to Glasgow in 3 hours and twenty minutes and slept most of the way.
 sounds like the Father Ted episode where he falls asleep behind the wheel and wakes up next morning and is still going  Very Happy
Not quite sure how i managed to stay awake to be  honest (well i do......two travel mugs of coffee Smile )

Neighbours where balling and shouting until about 1am and i was up at quarter past 4.

Been home an hour though so not too bad

23 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 21:22

gloswhite

Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Bollotom2014 wrote:
Bread2.0 wrote:No matter how many times I re-read that, I still keep hearing "8 foot, 15 inches" in my head.

It struck me as 8 minutes 15 seconds in navigation terms. 

>Smart Ass hat on< Isn't 8 foot 15 inches, 9 foot 3 inches? >Smart Ass hat off<
I did wonder about that, but what would either of you two have put ?

24 Re: The future.... on Wed Jan 04 2017, 22:11

whatsgoingon

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
8 and a quarter hours

25 Re: The future.... on Fri Jan 06 2017, 11:43

Bwfc1958

Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Forget the future, we haven't got one. It's Gary Madine's fault this. 

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/03/conspiracy-theorist-claims-the-world-will-end-in-2017/21646701/

26 Re: The future.... on Fri Jan 06 2017, 13:44

Soul Kitchen

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Norpig wrote:i long for the day a robot can wash my bedpans, save me the job and i can spend more time on here
That's an easy solution. You'd only need a couple of operatives at the end of the line. 
However it's more cost effective to let you get shit under your fingernails than buy a washing machine transfer line.
Could a robot design the washing machine? 
Would be interesting to see.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum