Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adam Le Fondre's goals can get Bolton on a run, says Wheater

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater is willing to put in a few more hard yards in order to get the best out of Adam Le Fondre.

The defender is convinced Wanderers can remain on course for promotion despite losing the services of Zach Clough and Sammy Ameobi in the transfer window.

And most of his faith is pinned on the goals of returning loan signing Le Fondre, who struck eight in 17 the last time he pulled on a Bolton shirt 18 months ago.

“I think the squad is stronger now,” he told The Bolton News. “I’ve talked to the gaffer for a while now about what Alfie can do for us. He might not run a lot but he’ll score the goals and that’s what we need. Most people would agree.

“I personally don’t mind doing a little bit more running for him if he’s going to get the goals to win us games. It’s fine. We need to give him service.”

Wanderers did manage to give Le Fondre a ‘second debut’ against MK Dons, bringing him on for the last 12 minutes. But Lawrie Wilson’s departure with a hamstring injury left Phil Parkinson’s side playing with 10 men soon after.

“We need to score a few more goals but the moment we got Alfie on the pitch Lawrie went off and he had to play in midfield,” he said.

“That luck will definitely change. We’ve got quality players in and so it’s only a matter of time before we start winning games now.

“We played with 10 men for 15 minutes and could have got nothing, so it’s a good point. It’s the kind of game we’d lost last year to a last-minute goal.”

Wheater believes losing Clough was inevitable and backed him to make a success of himself in the Championship with Nottingham Forest.

“He was always going to leave at some point,” he said. “He’s a top player and obviously wants to play in the higher leagues.

“He’s a great lad and he deserves everything he’s going to get.”

Wheater also thinks Dons winger Chuks Aneke was lucky to only received one caution from referee David Coote.

“Their left winger could have been sent off easily – he elbowed me in the beak and Lawrie as well but only got one yellow card,” he said.

“I think he straightened it a little bit, to be honest. I might get it done properly when I retire. There’s no point now.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum