Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fox hunting

+6
Natasha Whittam
Chairmanda
xmiles
Sluffy
boltonbonce
okocha
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fox hunting Empty Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 13:26

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I see that May's manifesto idea to allow a free vote on the reinstatement of fox hunting was unsurprisingly absent from the Queen's Speech in yet another U-turn.
Liam will be pleased! Very Happy

Tories acting as if they lost the election, and Labour acting as if they'd won it.....

2Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 13:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is anyone on here a supporter of fox hunting? We could have a friendly debate. Very Happy

3Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 13:41

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I always thought it was more of a high class social gathering than a serious attempt of controlling fox numbers?

Obviously very elitist and not relevant in todays society so maybe like 'blacking' up for Minstrel shows and having homosexuality as a crime, it belongs in the past.

I'm obviously not on the button with this because there does seem to be many who wants to see fox hunting back but it certainly isn't relative to my life nor a majority of others I would suggest.

5Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 15:47

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

6Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 15:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was amazed when the Tories tried to bring it back, and it changed my vote at the last minute. I'm wondering how many other voters it swung.

Even ignoring the cruelty aspects of fox hunting, you have to wonder about a government who thought it wise to bring it back against public opinion. What possible benefit did it have for the country. I'm guessing less than 0.1% of the public have even seen a fox hunt, never mind been on one.

Crazy.

7Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry to sound like xmiles (sorry mate  Very Happy) but it smacked of trying to appeal to the wealthier amongst us, like trying to buy votes in a way by saying they would look at it again. As you say though, it backfired.

8Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Sorry to sound like xmiles (sorry mate  Very Happy) but it smacked of trying to appeal to the wealthier amongst us, like trying to buy votes in a way by saying they would look at it again. As you say though, it backfired.

But how many wealthy people are into fox hunting? Not many. There will be far more anti-fox hunting amongst the wealthy.

9Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cruelty isn't confined to the toffs,you only have to look at hare coursing.

Plenty of ordinary folk involved in fox hunting too,when you get round to looking closely.

10Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:Sorry to sound like xmiles (sorry mate  Very Happy) but it smacked of trying to appeal to the wealthier amongst us, like trying to buy votes in a way by saying they would look at it again. As you say though, it backfired.

But how many wealthy people are into fox hunting? Not many. There will be far more anti-fox hunting amongst the wealthy.

I think it more to do with May's whole mindset. She had very few policies that were distinctly hers - this, bringing back grammar schools and scrapping free school lunches seem to represent some ludicrous attempt to revisit an imaginary past. A bit like John Major's speech invoking memories of warm beer.

11Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:57

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The usual defence offered by the hunting lobby is that the fox population needs to be controlled. 

How thick do you have to be to suggest to anyone with even half a brain cell and a heart that chasing creatures to exhaustion before hounds rip them limb from limb is an ideal, humane and efficient way to control their numbers!  Twisted Evil

12Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:01

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

okocha wrote:The usual defence offered by the hunting lobby is that the fox population needs to be controlled. 

How thick do you have to be to suggest to anyone with even half a brain cell and a heart that chasing creatures to exhaustion before hounds rip them limb from limb is an ideal, humane and efficient way to control their numbers!  Twisted Evil
According to Jacob Rees Mogg hunting is the most humane way to control the fox populations.

13Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They've also been caught out breeding them,just to make sure they've got something to chase.

14Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:09

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I was amazed when the Tories tried to bring it back, and it changed my vote at the last minute. I'm wondering how many other voters it swung.

Seriously? You changed your vote on the possibility that the Tories wanted to bring back fox hunting?  scratch

15Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Seriously? You changed your vote on the possibility that the Tories wanted to bring back fox hunting?  scratch

It wouldn't have been a possibility if they'd got a majority. It would have been definite.

My vote saved the foxes.

16Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just because they mooted the idea of bringing back Fox hunting it would still have to be ratified by Parliament. Surely you based your vote on something more important than the tenuous possibility that it could be reintroduced?

17Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

18Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Just because they mooted the idea of bringing back Fox hunting it would still have to be ratified by Parliament. Surely you based your vote on something more important than the tenuous possibility that it could be reintroduced?

As I've said above, it was more about the fact the Tories thought it was a good idea. It shows they don't have a clue about public opinion.

But animals are important, more important than most people if I'm being honest.

19Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Chairmanda wrote:
okocha wrote:The usual defence offered by the hunting lobby is that the fox population needs to be controlled. 

According to Jacob Rees Mogg hunting is the most humane way to control the fox populations.

It tells you a lot about JRM that he could seriously spout this rubbish. If he is as intelligent as he pretends to be he would know this is patently untrue. But then he is the kind of idiot that would go fox hunting.

20Fox hunting Empty Re: Fox hunting Tue Jul 04 2017, 19:20

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Even worse are the idiots who say they will continue to hunt regardless of the law. 

I wonder if JRM and co would change their "minds" (!!) if they were the ones being chased across the countryside by savage hounds until they were torn to shreds? A bit of JRM-hunting might be an interesting sport. Smile

The contention that hunting controls the fox population is nonsense in any case:- it amounts to a tiny proportion compared to other, kinder ways of managing numbers.

JRM is a lingering relic of a bygone era.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum