Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can we/should we ban pedantic twats?

+2
Bernard Dennis Park
wanderlust
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Can we/should we ban pedantic twats? Empty Can we/should we ban pedantic twats? Fri Aug 03 2012, 09:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just wanted to get an idea about what folk think about this...
So I'm all in favour of banter, even though some of it on here is pretty low quality i.e. if I can't think of a witty response I'll just insult someone.
Secondly, we all/the mods get touchy about slagging folk off/personal comments.
So why can't we extend the same principle to include pedants?
It can be a pain reading through endless threads where some pedantic twat has started a row over an (intentional?) misinterpretation of the original post or comment. Or a spelling/grammatical error. Or a "technicality" - you know what I'm talking about.
From my perspective I'd like to see healthy discussions about what's happening with the team, opinions about how we play the game (or don't) and creative ideas rather than page after page of "your opinion is wrong because I am incapable of either being positive or understanding what you really mean".
Folk are getting bogged down with having to explain themselves repeatedly and the quality of the threads is affected by having to carefully word things so they're "idiot proof".
Just my opinion as always, but I wish we didn't have to wade through the crap to get the interesting stuff re the Whites so much.
After all there is another forum for people to big themselves up, cop off and wax their keyboards so can't we keep this one strictly business?

Thanks for your comments wanderlust, I hope you don’t mind that I’ve moved it to "Wandering Minds".

Firstly, it’s Summer, there’s only so many threads you can create about the Wanderers when there’s so little action on and off the pitch, if we did stick to threads just about BWFC this place would die in a matter of days. I’d be the first jumping ship if all Nuts had to offer was Coyle is Great/Coyle is Crap threads!

I take your point about people arguing over stupid things, but this reflects real life I’m afraid. If you put twenty strangers in a room and picked a topic for them to debate they’d be a brawl within half an hour. It’s the differing viewpoints that make a forum lively and interesting in my opinion, I think it’s impossible to get people to agree to disagree when there are so many egos in the room.

What I will say is threads tend to follow the pattern of the original post. If Natasha or Angry Dad start a thread it almost always has an element of comedy, and therefore the whole thread seems to follow in the same way. If Largehat starts a thread about something he’s knowledgeable about (films for example), again the thread seems to follow a more serious tone. I honestly feel if you started a thread people would realise it’s not Natasha or Angry Dad and post accordingly. People know you’re well educated with a balanced view of things and they would generally respect that, but everyone gets some ribbing on forums from time to time.

This is just my opinion, sluffy is much better at replying to this sort of thing though. Like you say, it would be interesting to hear what other people think.

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I can't think of a witty response so I'll just insult you both. Wankerlust and Pissi.

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:I can't think of a witty response so I'll just insult you both. Wankerlust and Pissi.

You know how to put a guy down Very Happy

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderlust you'll need to show some examples of what you're talking about?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderlust - I agree with you mate.

I see it almost as a form of internet bullying .

It's almost as someone is saying how dare you argue with me, you know nothing compared to me - so you obviously will be wtong and on the off chance you might be right, I'll tie you up on enough grammatical knotts or tautology so that no one will be any the wiser that you were right!

In the past I've had a quite word with one or two who might not even known that is how they may come across in public.

I once saw the following cartoon and it sort of guides me when I'm on the computer in how not to take things too seriously -

Can we/should we ban pedantic twats? Duty_calls

I like to think we no longer have that sort of a problem on here anymore but if you (or anyone else) thinks there still is then please pm me with details and I'll have a quite chat behind the scenes to amicably sort it out.

Fair enough?

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

I think you'll find that it's,
"Can we AND should we ban pedantic twats?"
Just saying.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Wanderlust - I agree with you mate.

I see it almost as a form of internet bullying .

It's almost as someone is saying how dare you argue with me, you know nothing compared to me - so you obviously will be wtong and on the off chance you might be right, I'll tie you up on enough grammatical knotts or tautology so that no one will be any the wiser that you were right!

In the past I've had a quite word with one or two who might not even known that is how they may come across in public.

I once saw the following cartoon and it sort of guides me when I'm on the computer in how not to take things too seriously -

I like to think we no longer have that sort of a problem on here anymore but if you (or anyone else) thinks there still is then please pm me with details and I'll have a quite chat behind the scenes to amicably sort it out.

Fair enough?

Please learn to spell 'quiet' before your next sermon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum