Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed

+7
terenceanne
Norpig
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
finlaymcdanger
Leeds_Trotter
Sluffy
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bolton Wanderers are pleased to confirm the signing of Chinedu Obasi on a short-term deal until the end of the season, subject to international clearance.
The 31-year-old was last on the books of Swedish side AIK, and completes his move to Macron Stadium following a successful trial period.
A full Nigeria international, the striker was a member of the side that finished third at the 2010 African Cup of Nations before suffering a group-stage exit at the World Cup later that year, while he also won a Silver Medal at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Starting his professional career with Norwegian side Lyn in 2005, he signed for 1899 Hoffenheim in 2007 and helped them win promotion to the Bundesliga in his first season in Germany.
Moving to Schalke 04 on loan in December 2011, the move was made permanent at the end of the season with Obasi helping them qualify for the Champions League in each of his four campaigns with the club.
Playing alongside recent Wanderers signing Jan Kirchhoff during his final 18 months at Schalke, the forward left the club at the end of his contract and signed for AIK for the first time in August 2016.
Linking up with former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson at Chinese side Shenzhen in February 2017, he returned to AIK the following summer and remained with the club until the end of the calendar year.
Having signed for Wanderers on trial last month, Obasi scored the winner in an Under-23s clash with Burnley at Macron Stadium and now joins Phil Parkinson’s side until the end of the season.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hopefully he can do a job for us.

3OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 pm

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

4OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll give it 24 hours before Parky utters the words "not match fit".

5OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

6OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nigeria star Chinedu Obasi signs pay-as-you-play deal at Bolton

Wanderers fans have been warned not to expect too much, too soon from new arrival Chinedu Obasi.

The ex-Nigeria international signed a short-term deal with the Whites until the end of the season, an announcement strangely made just 15 minutes before kick-off in Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Preston North End.

Phil Parkinson said at his weekly press conference he had not seen enough of the 31-year-old to make a firm judgement – but The Bolton News understands the club’s hand was forced after two Swedish clubs offered him an immediate deal.

Speaking after the game, Parkinson revealed the details of Obasi’s deal and told supporters he will need a few weeks to get up to speed, having not played competitively since the end of last year.

“I haven’t seen a great deal of him in training because of the weather and now we given him a contract which is pay as you go,” said the Whites boss.

“He is not ready yet. But I thought for no cost we might as well tuck him in the Under-23s to see how he gets on and then if he gets to a level and can make a contribution, great.

“He has played at a good level in the Bundesliga etc but I don’t want the supporters to think he’ll be out there making a difference in a week’s time because we had to make a decision on what we’d seen in the dome playing seven a side.

“It got to the point – and no fault of his – but he’d played in the Under-23s game and had one or two offers. He said ‘I’ll back myself and come on a pay as you play contract’.

“To have another striker at no cost unless he makes an appearance is one we decided to take. He’s a good lad but he’s got work to do.”

7OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He'll be wishing he went to Sweden in a few weeks as it's clear Parky has reservations about him

8OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's already shown more commitment than many of our own tugboats.

9OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nigeria legend Jay Jay Okocha inspires new Bolton man Chinedu Obasi

AS a teenager, Chinedu Obasi gazed on in wonder from the stands at Nigeria’s darling, Jay Jay Okocha, at the peak of his powers for Wanderers.
Now, Bolton’s new striker signing hopes he can make a lasting impression on the North West.
Obasi’s arrival on a free transfer has by no means been a simple one. A weather-interrupted trial afforded him about half an hour of Under-23s football – in which he scored a winner against Burnley – and by Friday last week, even Phil Parkinson was unsure if he would be keeping the striker on for closer look.

But hurried on by interest from Sweden and the 31-year-old’s insistence he would not accept a wage until he played competitively, the scene is set for a former AIK, Schalke and Hoffenheim front man to make an impact on Wanderers’ relegation fight.
“It’s a great honour to be part of this great club and an honour to be part of the team,” said Obasi, having finally signed for the club. “It is a big relief. I have always wanted to play here. It’s a great platform for me and a great opportunity for me to show myself in the UK and then see what the future holds.
“I definitely hope for great things and to help the team.”
Obasi was at the Macron on Saturday to watch his new side labour against Preston North End.
While the game emphasised what a fight the Whites have on their hands to stay in the division, Obasi says the surroundings are still as luxurious as the first time he watched Jay Jay in action.

“It’s a great stadium,” he said. “I came here when I was about 15 or 16 with the Nigerian national team. We came to see Jay Jay and it was my first game in the UK.
“It is weird being back in the stadium, which was then Reebok and now it’s Macron, but it’s still a great stadium.
“He’s a legend. It’s always an honour to be linked with a club he has played for. It’s a big pleasure for me.”
Obasi has played with Wanderers’ other new arrival, Jan Kirchhoff, in the Bundesliga for Schalke and will be sharpening his skills in the Under-23s until fully fit.

But the Nigerian is excited by the challenge of playing in England, having been linked with a string of clubs down the years.
“I want to help the team in any way I can,” he said. “I love scoring goals and I’ll do whatever I can – supporting the team, helping the team is the most important thing.
“Whatever comes, we just have to stay in the league, that’s the main focus right now.
“I’m really looking forward to playing and I’ll need all the support I can get. Being in this league is new but I’ll do my best and fight for every minute.”

10OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A re-tweet on by Iles -

this is Obasi song in AIK. They Singing "do you know obasi obasi do you know obasi. He Love the song.

11OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Let's say we believe he is not match fit.....why can he not come on as a sub in the 80th minute instead of Old Will?  It's nonsense as per usual.

12OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:10 pm

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

terenceanne wrote:Let's say we believe he is not match fit.....why can he not come on as a sub in the 80th minute instead of Old Will?  It's nonsense as per usual.
Why?  We will be leading 1-3 by then!  (Let's hope)!

13OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

He's not match fit according to Iles tweet -

Tweet to Iles - How far off a start are Noone and Obasi?

Iles - Noone is fine. Obasi, weeks

reply - Are we rolling him out for the final game then!

Iles - Should be OK before that - but manager insistent he's staying with U23s for now.

14OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I suspect they don't want to pay him since he is on pay for play deal. Ken probably told PP not to play him unless absolutely necessary. That's why a professional footballer is not fit enough to play ten minutes as a sub...they would have to pay him for the full game I would imagine.

15OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:58 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They could afford to pay him. Just divert the money they spend on the WD40 that keeps Wilbraham going.

16OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 pm

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It wouldn't surprise me if he was on the bench. I'm sure Parky would prefer a big lad up top for these next two games, especially against lightweight Wednesday.

17OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:42 pm

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:He's not match fit according to Iles tweet -

Iles - Should be OK before that - but manager insistent he's staying with U23s for now.
The good news is he is Nigerian, they can pretend to be under 23 well into there 40's

18OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

DEANO82 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:He's not match fit according to Iles tweet -

The good news is he is Nigerian, they can pretend to be under 23 well into there 40's

Very Happy

19OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Correct Okocha was 53 years old when he left us aged 32.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

20OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Chinedu Obasi signed Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat must be Nigerian.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum