Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should we Retire number 6? (Muamba's Number)

+14
aaron_bwfc
xmiles
BoltonTillIDie
Soul Kitchen
chipbutty
doffcocker
largehat
Lofty_Love
mgsg24
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
Michael Bolton
bwfc71
Hipster_Nebula
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know people are anti everything American (mostly) but one thing i particularly enjoy is the retirement of numbers. It links a player to a club for eternity as their number hangs in the rafters.

I think it'd be a lovely tribute to Fab, after what he went through, to have the number 6 hanging in one corner of the ground.

Thoughts?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

No, it shouldn't be retired, why should it just because a player retires from the game?

If the worst had happened that evening in March, then I would have agreed to have it retired.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it goes a little deeper than "just because he retires from the game" this isn't a typical retirement is it.

anyway, entitled to your view of course. I expect others to have a similar one tbh.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No I don't think so.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

No, I don't think so. A player who has given long and meritorious service to the club could have a number retired - a one club man who spent 14 years wearing the #11 shirt could have a number retired, but that sort of thing isn't the norm in English football.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well exactly there's no precedent is there, so i don't see why this is such a negative thing.

I'd be against it too if we actually retired any numbers or did anything to honour former players.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We don't usually honour old or past players - we replace them with as little fanfare as possible. Neither Campo nor JJ had the opportunity to even wave goodbye to the fans, did they?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

well exactly my point really.

Thats why I'm a fan of this kind of thing, creates a link between that player and the club for all time.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:well exactly my point really.

Thats why I'm a fan of this kind of thing, creates a link between that player and the club for all time.

What happens in a 100 years if we've retired numbers 1 to 22?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not that that would happen obviously, but they'd have to wear another number.

Do you not agree with honouring players somehow?

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm agreeing in principle with the concept but disagreeing that Muamba's number should be retired. I'd have been more in favour of retiring Bibi's former #11 shirt. It does give that link between player and club that family feel though, I know exactly where you are coming from. No, not Aberdeen - before Natasha asks.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:I'm agreeing in principle with the concept but disagreeing that Muamba's number should be retired. I'd have been more in favour of retiring Bibi's former #11 shirt.

Will you give it a rest with your bias towards Jamaican players, anyone would think you were from Jamaica. Gardner was a decent player when he was fit, but he was never bloody fit! Hardly a legend.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Testamonials I agree with.

Retiring numbers when a player dies whilst playing for the club I agree with.

Its the British and European way - don't forget we are not sentimental Americans, we are stiff upper-lip English!

Does a number a player has actually mean anything? To me its just a squad number and doesn't matter who wears it just as long as we remember good players names who played for the club!

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Keegan wrote:I'm agreeing in principle with the concept but disagreeing that Muamba's number should be retired. I'd have been more in favour of retiring Bibi's former #11 shirt.

Will you give it a rest with your bias towards Jamaican players, anyone would think you were from Jamaica. Gardner was a decent player when he was fit, but he was never bloody fit! Hardly a legend.

Stop internet bullying me, mon.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Testamonials I agree with.

Retiring numbers when a player dies whilst playing for the club I agree with.

Its the British and European way - don't forget we are not sentimental Americans, we are stiff upper-lip English!

Does a number a player has actually mean anything? To me its just a squad number and doesn't matter who wears it just as long as we remember good players names who played for the club!

I knew it would come down to a sense of anti americanism, as i stated initially.

mgsg24

mgsg24
David Ngog
David Ngog

For my two pennies worth, are we also forgetting the Gary Speed attachment to No.6 or is that a distant memory?

Sometimes we need to remember things anyway we can.

I will always think of Fab (Mumble) Muamba with this in mind, he might not have had the best footwork but often comes came up with the goods to allow other to prosperā€¦ resistance if futileā€¦

Dance with Mumble!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Don't really think its anti-americanism. It just isn't tradition here, so why do it?

Runs the threat of turning the whole thing into an even more shameless self promoting media circus event than Bolton University did.

Its fantastic he is ok now, and tbh I don't think he needs any more proof of how happy everyone is to see him well, the support was overwhelming.

Would keep him listed as number 6 for the forthcoming season. Would have liked Jussi's number 22 to be retired if he had finished his career with us.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd like Ngog to retire.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I have to agree with Natasha. Ricardo Gardner did extremely well out of his career with Bolton Wanderers. 347 league appearances (including as a sub) in 14 years is not very many. We only had about 2-3 good seasons of football out of him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum