Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should we Retire number 6? (Muamba's Number)

+14
aaron_bwfc
xmiles
BoltonTillIDie
Soul Kitchen
chipbutty
doffcocker
largehat
Lofty_Love
mgsg24
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
Michael Bolton
bwfc71
Hipster_Nebula
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

mgsg24 wrote:For my two pennies worth, are we also forgetting the Gary Speed attachment to No.6 or is that a distant memory?

Sometimes we need to remember things anyway we can.

I will always think of Fab (Mumble) Muamba with this in mind, he might not have had the best footwork but often comes came up with the goods to allow other to prosperā€¦ resistance if futileā€¦

Dance with Mumble!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You know what, that's a really good point. 6 should be retired in tribute to both Speed and Muamba. Surely nobody can argue against that?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He had great potential, but he never improved his final ball/cross.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Surely nobody can argue against that?

Er, they can.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:Surely nobody can argue against that?

Er, they can.

Go on then, mouth.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:Don't really think its anti-americanism. It just isn't tradition here, so why do it?

Runs the threat of turning the whole thing into an even more shameless self promoting media circus event than Bolton University did.

Its fantastic he is ok now, and tbh I don't think he needs any more proof of how happy everyone is to see him well, the support was overwhelming.

well thats kind of my point, why isn't there a tradition of honouring players? I know we have the "statue" but thats incredibly rare and usually after deaths.

It gives me immense pride seeing a number hanging in the rafters and takes me back immediately to the great play of a particular player.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I would agree to retiring a shirt if a long-time Bolton player died, one that could be whispered as a legend.

While Speed & Muamba seem like decent chaps, one topped himself and left his family to find his body and the other is relatively fit and well.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:I would agree to retiring a shirt if a long-time Bolton player died, one that could be whispered as a legend.

While Speed & Muamba seem like decent chaps, one topped himself and left his family to find his body and the other is relatively fit and well.

I'm not even dignifying that rationale with a detailed response.

Yes I suppose you're right, you can argue against retiring number 6, if you're prepared to adopt a fucked up, pejorative and ignorant stance on the situation. I'd hate to be you, I really would.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Will you give it a rest with your bias towards Jamaican players, anyone would think you were from Jamaica. Gardner was a decent player when he was fit, but he was never bloody fit! Hardly a legend.

I have to agree with Natasha. Ricardo Gardner did extremely well out of his career with Bolton Wanderers. 347 league appearances (including as a sub) in 14 years is not very many. We only had about 2-3 good seasons of football out of him.

Stop internet bullying me.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I'm not even dignifying that rationale with a detailed response.

Yes I suppose you're right, you can argue against retiring number 6, if you're prepared to adopt a fucked up, pejorative and ignorant stance on the situation. I'd hate to be you, I really would.

I don't even know what you're talking about.

When you retire a shirt it should be a legend's shirt i.e. Bobby Moore at West Ham.

Neither Speed or Muamba are anywhere near legendary status in my opinion. Speed was a good player who gave 100%, but I have a real problem with people who top themselves for obvious reasons. Muamaba was an average player, I don't think anyone can deny that.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I must admit to growing tired of the whole Muamba thing. Before his cardiac arrest, he wasn't all that special in the eyes of the average Bolton fan. For large periods he was heavily criticised by many, myself included.

It's nice how supportive the club has been towards him and the way it seems he will be forever grateful towards us for it, but where will it end? What about a Sir Fabrice Muamba Stand?

He seems like a great lad, but all this affection for him only seemed to begin the moment he nearly died.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

doffcocker wrote:

He seems like a great lad, but all this affection for him only seemed to begin the moment he nearly died.

You're right, doffcocker, but the phenomenon you're describing is completely normal and understandable IMO - it's human nature to care about someone when they are vulnerable.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:Testamonials I agree with.

Retiring numbers when a player dies whilst playing for the club I agree with.

Its the British and European way - don't forget we are not sentimental Americans, we are stiff upper-lip English!

Does a number a player has actually mean anything? To me its just a squad number and doesn't matter who wears it just as long as we remember good players names who played for the club!

I knew it would come down to a sense of anti americanism, as i stated initially.

Its not anti-American, although they go well over the top with sentimentalism, it just plain daft because in the future you could squad number of 11111111111 and higher - can you imagine how much that will cost to have put on a shirt (especially at either 50p or 1 quid a digit - and that before the actual players name!)

Our way are Testmonials and version of Charity matches - only in extreme reasons should a shirt be retired and this si not one of them - March could have been.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Let's be honest about all this. Muamba was a poor/average player.

What happened to him was pretty horrific but for gods sake how long will this Muamba love-in go on for.

The idea of 'retiring' his number is ridiculous.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:Testamonials I agree with.

Retiring numbers when a player dies whilst playing for the club I agree with.

Its the British and European way - don't forget we are not sentimental Americans, we are stiff upper-lip English!

Does a number a player has actually mean anything? To me its just a squad number and doesn't matter who wears it just as long as we remember good players names who played for the club!

I knew it would come down to a sense of anti americanism, as i stated initially.

Its not anti-American, although they go well over the top with sentimentalism, it just plain daft because in the future you could squad number of 11111111111 and higher - can you imagine how much that will cost to have put on a shirt (especially at either 50p or 1 quid a digit - and that before the actual players name!)

Our way are Testmonials and version of Charity matches - only in extreme reasons should a shirt be retired and this si not one of them - March could have been.

If it's not anti american why mention it?

As for testimonials how many turned up to see Jussi's? Hardly anyone, they mean nothing IMO. I'd like to see a permanent way of honouring players.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I know people are anti everything American (mostly) but one thing i particularly enjoy is the retirement of numbers. It links a player to a club for eternity as their number hangs in the rafters.

As shwon abouve it was you that brought the Americans into the equation! Each country/continent have their own way of celebrating a player of their national games.

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The idea of retiring Muamba's number is ridiculous but not as silly as permanently honouring him.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I know people are anti everything American (mostly) but one thing i particularly enjoy is the retirement of numbers. It links a player to a club for eternity as their number hangs in the rafters.

As shwon abouve it was you that brought the Americans into the equation! Each country/continent have their own way of celebrating a player of their national games.

I know i did. That was my fear, which you managed to confirm.

My point is we dont have a way honouring players. Testimonials are click of the finger things which, as evidenced by Jussi's, no one gives a shit about.

The Nat Lofthouse statue, which is great, was paid for by supporters, i think I'm right in saying. I just think it's sad the club doesn't have a way of honouring players.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:...I just think it's sad the club doesn't have a way of honouring players.

I think the really sad is bit is that the club doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about past players - unless giving them a job somewhere or allowing them to train with them counts.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:

I think the really sad is bit is that the club doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about past players - unless giving them a job somewhere or allowing them to train with them counts.

Why should they give a rat's ass? They paid these players HUGE amounts of money and in many cases got very little in turn.

Keegan, if someone leaves the company you work for do you retire their chair or their coffee mug?

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:well exactly my point really.

Thats why I'm a fan of this kind of thing, creates a link between that player and the club for all time.

What happens in a 100 years if we've retired numbers 1 to 22?

The first team will be 23 to 33, easy init!?!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum