Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was Coyle right to pick that starting 11?

+8
WhiteBic
Angry Dad
wanderlust
JonnyRandom
Dunkels King
doffcocker
largehat
jayjay23
12 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

So does a 2-0 victory justify Coyle's selection for the starting 11 or did we get a 2-0 victory in spite of his choice rather than because of it?

I have to say my heart sank when I heard the team announced included K Davies and Knight. And my heart sank a little even when Davies scored because I just know it will mean months of Coyle picking him up front even if he is goalless and atrocious for the next 15 games.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I wasn't impressed when I saw the team sheet either.

However, any team selection is completely justified when you win - it's as simple as that.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wrong.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I hate you.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Davies deserved MOTM for his second half performance. The snag is the number of times he has played well for 45 minutes and/or scored a goal or two and cemented his place in the team again on the back of it, then failed to reproduce. It's time the cycle was put to an end.

This performance in itself is an argument for him being an impact sub. He was largely ineffective in the first half. By the hour mark when Derby's defence had become tired and begun to stray, he'd become very useful.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Let's not forget, we played Derby. A mid table team last season, and only scraped above a relegation spot the year before. For me, starting Kevin Davies is absolutely pointless. Bring him on with 30 minutes left when the other team are tiring. The problem now is he will start the next ten games and not score. I hope I am proved wrong though.

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

We were shit. 1st half was crap and we slowly came into it towards endbof second half. We will get batterd if we continue like that so for me no he wasnt right to pick the team he did. Teams like derby at home we should be bossing start to finish, not being sat in our own half for 1/2 to 3/4 of a game

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My frustration is that we have other talent that we don't see and there should be genuine competition for places. Quite a few were poor at Burnley, so some should have been dropped and as we now have 2 players for every position (apparently) the alternatives should have been given a chance.
That gives incentives to perform all round. But if the same players are picked regardless of how shit they perform it just demotivates everyone - including me.
However, a scrappy win is better than nowt. But I would have liked to see others, eg Vela given a chance which would help stamp out any complacency.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No he could have picked a team that would have skinned the arse off that lot.

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Our performance has to improve massively if we are going to get a result on Friday night. If we have a 1st half like that again I have a feeling the game will have already been lost.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Didn't see the game last night but from reports our midfield needs another body. Pack the middle and put Ngog or somebody with pace upfront ....that rules out SKD. We should still be able to create enough chances to win at this level.
I think we still need to sign the so-called ball winner ....then one more player in January. If Darkside is true to his word about getting promotion then we may need to spend a little bit.

He was right to pick it because we won, if we lose on Friday with the same team he will be wrong. That is probably how it's going to be from now on, with Coyle being judged on a game by game basis. Unless he wins the next ten games playing expansive flowing football.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

No, and now we are stuck with SKD and Knight starting no matter how bad they are for at least the next ten games.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

largehat wrote:I wasn't impressed when I saw the team sheet either.

However, any team selection is completely justified when you win - it's as simple as that.

Does that mean you would start the same 11 again? Really, it implies that you would be satisfied with the same line up in our next game.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No, it implies that if we win, it is justified in retrospect. Which was when you asked the question - in retrospect.

If he picks any team and we win it is justified IMO. He is the manager, it's his job to win games. How he does it is up to him.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll be honest when i saw the line up i did groan.

but clearly i was wrong too.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'll be honest when i saw the line up i did groan.

Were you wrong or where the team just VERY fortunate? I know which I would go with......

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc71 wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'll be honest when i saw the line up i did groan.

Were you wrong or where the team just VERY fortunate? I know which I would go with......

Teams winning games despite manager incompetence happens in football on a weekly basis. Managers make unreasonable decisions but win games, regardless.

One of the worst things that happened to us last season was beating Stoke 5-0, because it made a shit team and system first choice for the following five matches, all of which we lost.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum