Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Womens World Cup

+11
Norpig
rammywhite
MartinBWFC
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
Sluffy
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Sat Jun 22 2019, 17:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:When does it finish? Not that I’ve watched any of it or intend to.
Not seen all of the matches, but I have to say, the goalkeeping has improved. Used to be pretty diabolical.

22Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 13:31

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

From the bits i saw of England's game against Cameroon it certainly has got a lot more physical  Shocked

23Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 13:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:From the bits i saw of England's game against Cameroon it certainly has got a lot more physical  Shocked
I noticed one of the Brazilian players was wearing lipstick against France. Shocked

On reflection, it's probably no worse than male players obsessing about their haircuts.

24Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 13:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've not really been watching it but I did see a bit where the match analysers where chatting, two ex women players and Dion Dublin (I think it was Dublin anyway). He was almost twice their height and weight!

How can women players be in anyway comparable to the men when playing the same game to the same rules.

Christ I believe one of the women keepers for England is only 5ft 7 inches tall (Mary Earps) - I'd fancy my chances at my age even now to get a header past her from a set piece play.

It's just a joke.

25Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 13:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I've not really been watching it but I did see a bit where the match analysers where chatting, two ex women players and Dion Dublin (I think it was Dublin anyway).  He was almost twice their height and weight!

How can women players be in anyway comparable to the men when playing the same game to the same rules.

Christ I believe one of the women keepers for England is only 5ft 7 inches tall (Mary Earps) - I'd fancy my chances at my age even now to get a header past her from a set piece play.

It's just a joke.

It's not a joke, the game is in it's infancy compared to the men's game.

That last post is embarrassing coming from a self-titled clever dick.

26Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 14:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:I've not really been watching it but I did see a bit where the match analysers where chatting, two ex women players and Dion Dublin (I think it was Dublin anyway).  He was almost twice their height and weight!

It's just a joke.

It's not a joke, the game is in it's infancy compared to the men's game.

That last post is embarrassing coming from a self-titled clever dick.

Don't recall ever claiming to be clever?

I do fancy my chances of scoring a header into a full size net against a 5ft 7" keeper - particularly if they are female and thus unlikely to clatter me as much as a bloke might be able to.

And it is irrelevant if the women's game is in its infancy or entering its centenary they can't compete favourably against men on a physical basis - and that's how nature has evolved our species and nothing to do with me being remotely sexist or misogynist - I'm simply stating the obvious.

27Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 16:17

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's just a joke.

Just for interest, how tall was Eddy Hopkinson?

28Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 16:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was a debate as to whether the size of the goals should be reduced but the current goalkeepers were dead against it.

29Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 16:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

rammywhite wrote:

It's just a joke.

Just for interest, how tall was Eddy Hopkinson?

According to wiki he was 5ft 8"...

...BUT don't forget he played nearly 50 years ago (last game November 1959) and he was up against strikers of that generation - Lofthouse is shown as 5ft 8" too, Jackie Milburn 5ft 9", Tom Finney 5ft 8".

Even the great colossus of a man Duncan Edwards was only 5ft 11".

30Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 16:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eddie Hopkinson was  around 5' 8", which isn't tall for a keeper these days. Height doesn't make a great keeper.

31Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 17:12

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I remember the Japanese goalkeeper pulling off some great saves against England. She's the best I've seen in the tournament so far.

32Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 19:11

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I've just watched the women's US v Spain game and although pretty slow it was as good as, and in some cases far better than, any Bolton game I saw last season.

33Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 19:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

finlaymcdanger wrote:I've just watched the women's US v Spain game and although pretty slow it was as good as, and in some cases far better than, any Bolton game I saw last season.

Hardly setting a high bar for them to achieve then!

And don't forget the US ladies team is probably the best female team in the world.

34Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 19:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Hardly setting a high bar for them to achieve then!

And don't forget the US ladies team is probably the best female team in the world.

Didn't you say earlier that our youth team would beat any ladies team?

You seem to have changed your tune.

35Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 20:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Hardly setting a high bar for them to achieve then!

Didn't you say earlier that our youth team would beat any ladies team?

You seem to have changed your tune.

Did I, I don't remember saying that and can't be arsed looking back to check.

I've had my say anyway, I think it is fair comment too.

I'll leave it at that.

Enjoy the ladies football if that's your thing, it just doesn't happen to be mine.

36Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jun 24 2019, 22:48

It's just a joke.

What are you on about?

It’s like comparing Xavi with Vinnie Jones.

37Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jul 01 2019, 13:58

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The Ladies football has been ace. I am so proud of them all. Very entertaining and so very good. Womens World Cup - Page 2 603197783

38Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jul 01 2019, 14:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:The Ladies football has been ace. I am so proud of them all. Very entertaining and so very good. Womens World Cup - Page 2 603197783
I've dipped in and out of it, and I'd be interested to see where it stands 50 years from now.
The game is fast becoming non contact, and I can envisage a time in the future when it would be feasible for men and women to play with, and against, each other.
Sadly, I won't be around to see it.

39Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Mon Jul 01 2019, 14:38

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:
I've dipped in and out of it, and I'd be interested to see where it stands 50 years from now.
The game is fast becoming non contact, and I can envisage a time in the future when it would be feasible for men and women to play with, and against, each other.
Sadly, I won't be around to see it.

Aye, who knows, it is an interesting thought. in 50 years the female centre backs could be nagging the male midfield to mark the opposing wingers and pull their weight at the back.
I watched the Brazil game against France, and was most particularly impressed with Martas Lipstick. In the video below I think the computer is Asian or something, but it explains. Marta is classy.

40Womens World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Womens World Cup Tue Jul 02 2019, 09:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

must admit I quite like it, but have noticed the 'best' team seems to do an awful lot of falling down and diving. Obviously been watching their male counterparts too much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum