Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Billy Davies - Beware?

+8
aaron_bwfc
Alf Hooker
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
chipbutty
MartinBWFC
Sluffy
doffcocker
12 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 00:37

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've long supported the idea of Coyle being replaced by Billy Davies, and despite the information I'm about to reveal, can still envisage him doing a good job, though I've certainly had a rethink.
His name is certainly being banded about far more than it once was so on Saturday night I decided to ask his former employers' supporters what they thought of the idea of him taking over at Bolton. Here's some responses I received:

Preston:

He did a good job with us after initially losing our two best forwards. He tightened us up defensively and whilst not the greatest attacking team we were lucky to have a decent striker at the time in Nugent at Championship level.

I am sure he would do a decent job for Bolton in tightening up your defence, making you hard to beat and most likely a top six side on limited resources.

Still very much unproven at anything above Championship level so it depends what you are after really.

Derby

Where to start?

His ego, no club will ever be bigger than Billy (spoken in the 3rd tence of course!)

He used to know his way around this league quite well to be honest, he even got use promoted, however, it is getting more competitive, not sure he will be as effective before.

His football isn't attractive to watch but was effective.

Poor signings on big money Claude Davis and Earnshaw are 2 prize examples!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and finally, he will moan and bitch about the chairman giving him less to spend than Mancini. Stay well clear he causes rifts with chairmen everwhere he goes.

Thank god he is gone, sadly not forgotten!

He's good at creating a siege mentality - us against the world- type dressing room philosophy, but as first reply said... bad to watch and really unpleasant character at times.

I always felt like I didn't really want to like him, but he was effective...in this div

He drills average players into good teams. (With major emphasis on the us against the world aspect posted by someone else). However, he is a terrible judge of a player. Give him £10m, and he'll sign you £1m worth of players. Our debacle Prem season was mainly due to the fact that Billy signed poor players (Craig Fagan, sigend for £750k, last seen at Bradford. Claude Davis signed for £3m, last seen at Crawley (I think)). Forests travails last term were down to the same reasons.

Just to add Billy is great at creating an underdog atmosphere, the term 'siege mentality' has been used and this is spot on. The moment expectation starts to rise he 'bottles it' for want of a better phrase. He cant cope with pressure or expectation and leaves clubs arguably worse off than when he started.

Knob head who only cares about his CV, stay well clear. Don't listen to florist fans, been so long since they were in the top tier they'll literally whore themselves to anyone who shows a hint of getting them there. Feel sorry for them in a way, kinda sad.

Whether it's good to watch or bad, one thing that can't be argued about is that he is successful at taking teams that are struggling in this league and making them challengers.
He did it at Preston, he did it at Derby and he did it at Forest. Preston fans complained despite getting results, it was like watching footballers 'playing by numbers', it was pretty dull most of the time, though loads of passion. It was similar at Derby, very good results but bloody dire to watch. At Forest however, he managed to get a team playing some really good football - maybe he had learned by that point?
However, the issue over bottling it does have some legs.His main problem is his personality. He not only falls out with his employers at each club, he does so very publicly. His loyalty is even more questionable, because once he shows some level of achievement he actively promotes himself for other positions - he did it at Preston, he did it at Derby, he did it at Forest. So it's a balance - on the one hand you have a guy who could take a pub team and get them into the top 6 and on the other you have a self serving, manipulative, paranoid little man who will eventually fall out with the clubs chairman.

Nottingham Forest

When he was hired as our manager we were in a relegation battle. He was ex Derby and everyone knew he was opinionated and gobby.
We avoided relegation and finished in the play off places for the next two seasons, including a remarkable unbeaten run at home. He was at loggerheads all the time with our chairman regarding lack of ambition and refusal to give him pieces of his jigsaw for promotion. I think he was right about the lack of ambition and was sacked for saying so. Following that we were relegation candidates again.
Some Forest fans would have him back in a heartbeat - some wouldn't. Some think two top six finishes are a failure.
Hope this helps

A good manager with limitations on the pitch (Is the Championship his level?) but a complete nightmare off it. Continually at loggerheads with the board and used the media to air his grievances with the club.

Forget your reserves / youth development, Billy is only interested in signing players.

In short - I don't ever want thst poisonous dwarf near my club again.

Good manager if giving financial backing.

But I wouldn't want to see him back at forest as his constant, public whinging was a disease which blighted our club throughout his tenure.

Blaming the board just exposed his own shortcomings.

He was given more money than most in the league (Blackpool or Swansea for instance), but then refused to use younger, home grown players or loans, to supplement his squad.

He always just wanted the next "stellar" signing, he is the Championship Harry Redknapp, will spend all the money he is given and then still always be 'two players short' of 'moving to the next level'.

I've been going home and away for some 45 years & Coughie aside, Billy is in the top 2 Managers weve had in that time... can't remember too much about Johnny Carey as i was very young bit certainly in the last 30 years, it's Cloughie - mumber 1 with either Billy or Dave Basset number 2

2Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 00:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Excellent work Doff - well done.

I'd have Davies over Coyle any day of the week.

3Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 01:01

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Gotta go with you there Sluffy, and by the sounds of it theres more than a whiff of sour grapes in some of them comments

You would have to think that he would have these players up and running before Christmas, and that could push us on for at least a play off place.

4Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 01:26

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

My biggest worry with regards to bringing in Billy Davies having read these responses is that we could be appointing football's second vilest manager.

There are blatant similarities as well as differences between him and Megson.

Let's first list the similarities:

1. They're both bastards.
2. They both play ugly football.
3. They both cause trouble wherever they go.

Now for the differences:

1. Though both bastards that cause trouble wherever they go, Davies' confrontations are apparently limited to the boardroom, where Megson's can extend to the stands.
2. I can't think of any others except that Davies isn't ginger.

5Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 02:21

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:My biggest worry with regards to bringing in Billy Davies having read these responses is that we could be appointing football's second vilest manager.

There are blatant similarities as well as differences between him and Megson.

Let's first list the similarities:

1. They're both bastards.
2. They both play ugly football.
3. They both cause trouble wherever they go.

Now for the differences:

1. Though both bastards that cause trouble wherever they go, Davies' confrontations are apparently limited to the boardroom, where Megson's can extend to the stands.
2. I can't think of any others except that Davies isn't ginger.
I dont remember Davies being a dick, maybe he has aspirations beyond certain chairmans aspirations, but with him comes proven results, and yes he comes accross as a bit Megsonesque, however the supporters will take to him straight away, as opposed to ginger, now ask yourselves this, if Megson was asked to replace Coyle, had he not managed us before, would he not recieve a better welcome, so Billy Davies no matter what other clubs fans think will be a welcome incumbent as he has Jules Darby in his backroom team, and he has experience at this level, the problems start when or if he gets us promoted, but surely he represents a brighter future than Coyle can deliver.

6Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 07:37

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Cocker, a very good piece if I may say so, interesting and informative. You obviously went to some trouble to put it together.

What is an underlying message from fans of different clubs about BD is that he is ambitious and expect the board to match his plans. It would appear that he believes spending money is the way to achieve success. Sadly his view of the football world is a long way from that of BWFC.

7Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 08:51

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I think davies will be another mistake,there,s enough warnings already,i'd rather curbs if possible.

8Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 09:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's a good read doffcocker.

At the end of the day no manager who replaces Coyle will be perfect - how many managers are there that haven't failed somewhere? For example, Alan "8 Year Contract" Pardew got sacked by Charlton not too long ago. Even my first choice to replace Owen Coyle, Di Canio, would be a risk as he's never managed higher than League 1.

I think Billy Davies is a sound manager who would at least get us defending properly and bring back a bit of spirit. The problem is, like a lot of managers, he might get us out of the Championship but probably doesn't have the skills to keep us in the Premier League. So do we go for a Championship expert and worry about the PL when and if we get there, or do we pump for someone who has the potential to manage at the highest level? That sort of manager costs big money though.

Right now I'd take anyone over Owen Coyle, but somehow the appointment of someone like Davies or Curbishley seems so bloody boring!

9Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 11:59

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

I'm coming round rapidly to the Ole Gunnar Solksjaer option - just a thought...

10Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:18

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

How about terry tibbs.

11Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:23

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Good read that Doff, it's surprised me to some extent to what the fans of other clubs he has managed think of him.

We're not going to attract the likes of Mourinho so i'd give the guy a chance if PG hired him.

12Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alf Hooker wrote:I'm coming round rapidly to the Ole Gunnar Solksjaer option - just a thought...

Wash your mouth out.

13Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:30

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good read Doff. I like Billy Davies, stunned that many prefer Mick the ***** to him.

I remember when i suggested Di Matteo a year ago and Nat laughed and told me to "let the big boys talk about football"

Champions league winner and currently sitting top of the premier league.

lets be honest you never know what you're going to get with managers, right club, right time and it can work.... or the other way round.

14Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:31

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Alf Hooker wrote:I'm coming round rapidly to the Ole Gunnar Solksjaer option - just a thought...

Wash your mouth out.

Ian Greaves didn't do too badly for us

15Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 13:09

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I agree with solksjaer. Id take him, di canio or curbs.

Id like benitez but i can dream ha!

16Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 13:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I remember when i suggested Di Matteo a year ago and Nat laughed and told me to "let the big boys talk about football"

You bloody liar, you suggested Dominic Matteo.

17Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 13:49

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

NO chance! Not another Davies!

It's bad enough having the team play poorly without bringing in a manager who has no intention of playing decent football. Had enough of that to last a life time.

18Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 16:41

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

jayjay23 wrote:NO chance! Not another Davies!
This. Mad

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

19Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Tue Oct 02 2012, 22:29

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I'd take Mr Blobby at the moment...might give the team a lift and probably has a better footballing brain

had enough after tonight now

20Billy Davies - Beware? Empty Re: Billy Davies - Beware? Wed Oct 03 2012, 00:00

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Coyle should sign T. Neemelo from this game:
FC Viljandi[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Nomme JK Kalju

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum