Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers legend Frank Worthington dies, aged 72

+10
Banks of the Croal
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Sluffy
okocha
wessy
terenceanne
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
14 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers legend Frank Worthington has died at the age of 72 following a long illness, his family have announced in a statement to the PA news agency.

One of English football’s great mavericks, Worthington died peacefully in hospital on March 22, his family announced in a statement to the PA news agency.

Worthington won eight England caps and represented more 20 clubs in a long playing career that began with Huddersfield in 1966.

He captured hearts at Wanderers for what he brought to Ian Greaves' swaggering Bolton team of the late seventies.

Worthington’s wife Carol paid tribute to the much-loved football showman, who died in hospital in Huddersfield.

“Frank brought joy to so many people throughout his career and in his private life,” said Carol Worthington.

“He will be greatly missed by everyone who loved him so much.”

More to follow

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sad news RIP

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One of my favourite wanderers players ever. RIP Frankie.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

One of the best players to ever put on a BWFC shirt.
In the days when football was fun and before political correctness Frankie was pure entertainment on and off the field. 
RIP.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Been watching Bolton since 1963 seen a lot of fantastic footballers but for pure talent three stand out for me recent history JJ because he did things mere mortals can't do, and the same was true of Frank Worthington a true genius on a football field. when they say Maddison is a maverick Frank broke the mould. No one remembers anything but joy when Frank played so sad, the other was an unsung hero but Peter Thompson used to take three players out of every game just through his sheer talent on the ball. Plus they all did it at the very top level. And yes i was on the 18 yard line when he scored that goal.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Was only talking about Frank with three mates just yesterday (by zoom, of course). An entertainer, match-winner and magician. RIP

How many clubs did he grace during his career?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Sad news although I'd heard he'd been ill for a while.

Wonderful skills and a great entertainer, scored that goal at Blackburn on that glorious night that took us up.

A little mention to his biggest fan Bill Maynard who used to follow whatever club Frank played for and could often be seen at Burnden back in the day.

RIP the both of you.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Catch Frank on talkSPORT2 tonight at 9pm, talking to Danny Kelly, in 'My Sporting Life'.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP Frank, great player.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

RIP Frankie Worthington, what a player he oozed skill and played the Beautiful  Game the right way.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

R.I.P. Frank. The player who made me fall in love with football and Bolton Wanderers FC. Apparently, I reluctantly agreed to go to the Ipswich game when he scored the greatest goal I’ve ever seen in person and am assured that was the moment I started to obsess about the Whites.
I have a cracking black and white signed print of him somewhere which I’ll be framing and hanging when I can locate the right box in our basement.

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

RIP Frank Worthington, one of the greatest plyers ever to grace the green grass of Burnden Park.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Such sad news, he was the first Bolton player i remember as a 7 or 8 year old when we got to the First Division. I remember having the long sleeved White Umbro shirt as a kid and pretending to be him when i played on Shepherd Cross street fields with my mates, RIP Frankie.

I still have a copy of his autobiography which was a great read, may have to dig it out again.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was eight when he joined us and he was my hero instantly. The flash clothes and car and the sheer cheekiness of his grin were something I aspired to but he was even more fun on the field. When he scored the goal against Blackburn to send us up I was in Heaven especially since my dingle supporting brother was there for me to laugh at. Of course the goal against Ipswich is legendary and rightly so but it (imo) actually detracts a little from the recognition he deserves for everything else he did in our shirt. A wonderful player and a really decent human being. I had the distinct priviledge of meeting and talking to him once and in those five minutes he treated an awe struck ten year old as an equal and made me feel fifty feet tall. Rest in peace Frank, I hope God has an XJS with a hot blonde in the passenger seat waiting for you mate.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum