Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I wish last season had never stopped' - Isgrove elated by new deal

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

LLoyd Isgrove admitted he dare not celebrate a new deal with Wanderers until he had seen the ink dry on the paperwork!

The winger found himself marooned at this time last year after promotion with Swindon Town but fell on his feet after linking up with Bolton in September. Yesterday the club confirmed Isgrove had been given a new two-year deal after his efforts last season to help the club back into League One.

“You never know what can happen in football, things change with the times, so I was delighted to get it done,” he told The Bolton News.

“I had it at Swindon last year. It got taken away. I was happy to stay, happy with the situation and excited to play for them but because of everything going on with Covid, a few things at the club itself, I suddenly found myself without a club.

“That’s what makes me so happy that I am standing here now, after the season we have just had, calling myself a Bolton Wanderers player. It’s a privilege.”

Isgrove had called for Wanderers to try and keep their promotion-winning side together and with Gethin Jones also penning a two-year contract on Tuesday, it appears he is getting his wish.

“We speak a lot between ourselves, we’ve been out for dinner, and we have all said we need to stick together,” he said. “If you can keep that core, the togetherness off the pitch has been really good. We’re good mates in and out of the club. And I think that is what got us over the line in the end.

“It is certainly going to help us next season, that’s for sure.”

It took Wanderers some time to fire last season and Isgrove now views those first few difficult months as more of a settling in period.

“I don’t think there were any issues within the dressing room - or even a significant switch, either, I think we always had the ability,” he said.

“I can’t put my finger on why it wasn’t happening. Obviously there were 18-20 new players, it was a brand new group, and it can take time.

“The gaffer got given time, we got given time, and with a good January we turned it all around. It has been unbelievable since then.

“As the gaffer has said we gave the league a 20-game head start, so to come from there to where we finished is unbelievable.”

With the announcement of Wanderers’ pre-season schedule, starting on July 10, the new campaign in League One is already looming on the horizon.

Isgrove admits it cannot come soon enough for him.

“I have been saying to the boys, momentum is going to be huge next season,” he said. “I wish it had just carried on into the next one and not stopped.

“The way we were playing, we were flying.

“I suppose everyone needs a mental switch off to relax and prepare but I am already buzzing to go again.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum