Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why sports journalists just shouldn't bother...

+8
bwfc71
terenceanne
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Lyric Todkill
Michael Bolton
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Where do you even start on the flaws in this argument?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think it's too far off the mark.

If Coyle had no history with the club and was a bit of a morbid character he'd have been hounded out long before we were relegated from the PL.

The fact is most BWFC fans wanted Megson out and Coyle in - and now it looks like a terrible, terrible move. Only ourselves to blame really.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think the article is a load if bollocks. I remember picks of managers chosen by chairmen not fans - ie Steve mclaren for England, Howard wilkinson for Sunderland, Steve keane for Blackburn, Carlos queiroz for Real Madrid, they were all disasters and fans knew it would work out that way. I personally can't believe that guy is having a pop at Bolton fans for wanting coyle. Coyle was one of the supposedly best young managers out there, even in this guys article hd mentioned arsenal and Liverpool were linked with him. I think must people are surprised by how badly coyle turned out to be. I was sure he would turn out to be a great manager, his record at st Johnstone and burnley was very impressive. I think this article is just stupid. Were Newcastle fAns wrong 20 years ago when they wanted Keenan as manager? Were sheff united fans wrong when they wanted warnock ten years ago? I think it'd s bollocks of an argument this guy puts forward. He makes out mugson was a top manager but he wasn't, he wasn't a patch on big Sam. You could quite easily write an article on mclaren wilkinson Steve keane and put up an argument why chairman shouldn't choose the manager!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With hindsight we should have stuck with Megson, surely you can see that MB?

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Well yes and no. Was mugson a hood manager and right man to take the club forwards? IMO no. But was he a better manager than coyle? Yes! I don't think it was a bad decision to sack mugson but sadly coyle turned out to be useless.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Michael Bolton wrote:Well yes and no. Was mugson a hood manager and right man to take the club forwards? IMO no. But was he a better manager than coyle? Yes! I don't think it was a bad decision to sack mugson but sadly coyle turned out to be useless.

He wasn't a hood manager, he was a dhite manager

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Well yes and no. Was mugson a hood manager and right man to take the club forwards? IMO no. But was he a better manager than coyle? Yes! I don't think it was a bad decision to sack mugson but sadly coyle turned out to be useless.

You're right. Sacking Megson was the correct move, bringing in Coyle wasn't.

To be fair to Gartside it's a tough decision this time seeing as the last three men he made manager have been pants. That's why we might as well go for Di Canio. We might be shite under him but at least it'll be interesting.

Steve Kean seen at the Reebok this morning. Oh please god make it be true!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone who thinks we should have kept megson is wumming, simple.

Megson is another McCarthy, proficient... for a period but that period is short and sours quickly.

he made us tough to beat initially and kept us up, he also signed some good players, but overpaid for them wildly. As time went on the football got worse and worse and worse and little or no effort was paid to the attacking side of the ball.

we had a team full of cloggers, Megson would have taken us down. FACT. Not to mention his horrific relationship with the fans, terrible record all in, and countless lies and half truths he's told since he's left.

I was excited by the Coyle appointment because he had Burnley playing exciting attacking football with wingers, something he could never replicate here, and clearly he was a nieve, one trick pony of a manager who was found out. His lauded motivational skills also fell by the wayside.

Coyle was the right appointment for me, Megson was a disastrous appointment, but Gartsides job was hindered by his utterly baffling and catastrophic decision to hire Sammy Lee.

The next manager needs to do what coyle couldn't do, despite what he said, BUILD for the future. Any short term clogger will be sacked in 18 months and the merry go round will start again.

Risk/Reward.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Coyle was the right appointment for me, Megson was a disastrous appointment, but Gartsides job was hindered by his utterly baffling and catastrophic decision to hire Sammy Lee.

I don't agree, I think Sammy Lee was a fair appointment. He had been Fat Sam's second in command during some good times - it makes sense to promote from within and keep some continuity. When any business is doing well they will aim to do the same.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's the thing you see. None of us have a crystal ball. At times, the football under Megson was dire. The draw against Hull was the final straw.

At that time, Coyle seemed the perfect replacement. Decent record at St Johnstone and promotion with Burnley. Plus Burnley were hard to beat at Turf Moor in the premiership. As it turned out Coyle's record at the Reebok shows him to be one of our worst ever managers. I don't think any of us saw that coming!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I don't agree, I think Sammy Lee was a fair appointment. He had been Fat Sam's second in command during some good times - it makes sense to promote from within and keep some continuity. When any business is doing well they will aim to do the same.

sorry but thats complete crap.

A team in Europe, with a proficient squad. An attractive proposition for a tried and tested name manager or an exciting up and comer was given to a complete novice, miles and miles and miles out of his depth for the sake of "continuity" which had been completely lost anyway, considering Sam had taken every one of his backroom team to Newcastle.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

sorry but thats complete crap.

A team in Europe, with a proficient squad. An attractive proposition for a tried and tested name manager or an exciting up and comer was given to a complete novice, miles and miles and miles out of his depth for the sake of "continuity" which had been completely lost anyway, considering Sam had taken every one of his backroom team to Newcastle.

You said it was baffling. I was just pointing out it wasn't. It probably shouldn't have been Gartside's first choice, but a lot of clubs promote from within.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it was baffling, I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions but it was a complete and utter disaster which is haunting us to this day.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:it was baffling, I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions but it was a complete and utter disaster which is haunting us to this day.

Easy to say with hindsight.

When you're an international businesswoman with a string of awards, then you can talk about business strategy.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:it was baffling, I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions but it was a complete and utter disaster which is haunting us to this day.

Easy to say with hindsight.

When you're an international businesswoman with a string of awards, then you can talk about business strategy.

course, but thats where we are, analysing it. So with hindsight, I'm right.

At the time didn't you say Alan Irvine had signed a deal to take over. With Hindsight, that was bollocks.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

At the time didn't you say Alan Irvine had signed a deal to take over. With Hindsight, that was bollocks.

I didn't say he'd signed anything. He changed his mind. Good decision with hindsight.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I didn't say he'd signed anything. He changed his mind. Good decision with hindsight.

Laughing

why do your exclusives always "change their mind" scratch

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Andy Johnson failed a medical, he didn't change his mind.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Andy Johnson failed a medical, he didn't change his mind.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh dear...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum