Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why sports journalists just shouldn't bother...

+8
bwfc71
terenceanne
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Lyric Todkill
Michael Bolton
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You need a hobby. That was clearly a joke about the Fulham Gazette.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:You need a hobby. That was clearly a joke about the Fulham Gazette.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh dear.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Are you proud of yourself?

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Coyle was the right appointment for me, Megson was a disastrous appointment, but Gartsides job was hindered by his utterly baffling and catastrophic decision to hire Sammy Lee.

I don't agree, I think Sammy Lee was a fair appointment. He had been Fat Sam's second in command during some good times - it makes sense to promote from within and keep some continuity. When any business is doing well they will aim to do the same.

I kind of agree with nat. I mean look at Steve Clarke at WBA, he I'd foing great, why shouldn't a very good number 2 not become a top manager? Spammy lee was proven to be a very good coach, he was worth a try. But there is one problem with spammy lee, he suffers from short man syndrome, it's a condition where he is pissed off with the world and is a stubborn little man who when in a position of power he gets carried away and tries to make everyone's life a misery. If spammy lee was 6'3 like me he'd be a great manager.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Poor Natasha

Poor Sammy Lee

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:But there is one problem with spammy lee, he suffers from short man syndrome, it's a condition where he is pissed off with the world and is a stubborn little man who when in a position of power he gets carried away and tries to make everyone's life a misery. If spammy lee was 6'3 like me he'd be a great manager.

Is that why Hipster is so angry all the time?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The article has some points to make. I personally have no interest in if the fans like the manager or not. I could hate the mans guts as long as the product is on the field.

Mugson was carp but in hindsight still better than the Scotsman. Now we want the Gunner .... is he the right man? I have no idea and neither does anybody else on this board.....and neither does Darkside. Apparently we have to wait 5 weeks to land Gunner .... if that's true and he is the one we want then I will let Sammy run the team until then.

On another matter I watched Sordell play for the U21's yesterday .... a strange quirk is I have never seen him kick a ball for BWFC .....having missed the games he was picked.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:

On another matter I watched Sordell play for the U21's yesterday .... a strange quirk is I have never seen him kick a ball for BWFC .....having missed the games he was picked.

Was he any good?

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

why do your exclusives always "change their mind" scratch

Andy Johnson failed a medical, he didn't change his mind.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

oh dear...

Bloody hell that snippet was 2 days before my 40th birthday and 8 days before I ended up on gardening leave for almost 2 months!!!! Well at least my old department has been disbanded and out of an office of 70 people there are now only 30!!!

Meanwhile getting back on topic....

BN Bolton journalists - not worth the paper they work for. They just seem to reprint whispers from forums and twitter et al

National journalists - they have no f'in idea and write what they wanht without actually researching - not bothered about us as we are not a top 5 club!!!!

doffcocker wrote:Where do you even start on the flaws in this argument?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unbelievably this isn't the worst article I've read since Coyle was sacked.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

It's all a game. And I don't mean the game of football.

I don't think (That's a different way of saying IMO) there will be an appointment until after the next match. If that goes OK, well then see what happens next time out. If there is an improvement, errmm ........ what will Garside do?

The board hate spending money (except when it comes to their own salary) so if they can get by with Little Sam, they will and could hand him the job on a rolling contract.

But, unlike some on here, I don't pretend to know what goes on at the Reebok, this post is just my little day dream.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Answer to Natasha:

Sordell didn't have much to do ...... no service. Didn't look like a world beater and then he was subbed out in the second half.

He did turn, run, and beat a man along way so that puts him ahead of SKD in my book. He might be carp but should have a run in our team to find out for sure.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a tricky one but I'd liked to have seen some experimentation with e.g. Sordell and N'gog or even Sordell and Eagles up front at least by now. On-form Sordell is a decent target man who holds and uses the ball well and knocks it down well for runners. Playing Eagles more centrally with Sordell in a 442 or similar would have at least been worth looking at but - no. We can only wait and see how open-minded to players and systems our next manager will be. I see Amir Khan's gone out in the betting from 250-1 to oblivion. Maybe he ruled himself out?

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Now a message has been sent to the dressing room that everything is about to change, including probably the identity of the first team. Not exactly the most encouraging of motivational statements.

Probably the kick up the backside the Overpaid Ponces™ need.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The saddest thing about Coyle's sacking is it sends out the wrong message with regards to Megson.
All the article in question is saying is the fans wanted Coyle, not Megson but Megson kept Bolton up where Coyle didn't. In typical sports journalism fashion, the author takes everything for how it seems at face value, and either doesn't do research into key circumstantial information or simply chooses not to include it because it devalues his argument. The most obvious example being the massive difference in resources Coyle and Megson had to work with.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Did they though?

Coyle inherited Megson squad for the second half of the 9/10 season and more or less got the same average points per game as Megson had - plus Holden and Wilshire on loan

The following season the squad remained more or less the same plus the likes of Petrov plus Sturidge on loan - they had a great first half of the season and relegation form from the New Year onwards (note months before the Stoke semi). Cahill left in January.

Last season he lost Elmander but gained Reo-Coker and Eagles.

He consistently played 'Megson' players rather than his own signings - Knight instead of Wheater, Davies instead of Sordell, Ricketts instead of Alonso, etc.

If Megson wasted money then what did Coyle do buying players he never went on to play? A ridiculous situation to achieve!

Megson was hated by the fans - but he was a capable manager, Coyle was loved by the fans and he was an utterly clueless waste of space.

People might not want to accept that - but it's true never the less.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

This is all so wrong - Bolton fans wouldn't have wanted coyle if they realised how bad he really was. I wanted coyle, not because he was an ex player and a nice guy, but because his cv before Bolton was mighty impressive. Did anyone expect it to turn out like this and he'd relegate us and leave us 18th in the championship? No! Coyle was hopeless sadly, tactically inept. I just think the article is crazy to have a pop at Bolton fans because he even said arsenal and Liverpool were interested in him at one point, he really did seem a great appointment at the time.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They talk about the legacy OC has left so I can only assume that the young signings were always intended as players for the future, however as results have been so bad I find it incredibly frustrating that he didn't mix it up a bit. Couldn't have been worse results-wise and it would have at least created genuine competition for places.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum