Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sunderland boss Lee Johnson's praise for Wanderers following heavy defeat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sunderland boss Lee Johnson's praise for Wanderers following heavy defeat 13424732

Sunderland boss Lee Johnson says Wanderers’ gameplan was “very well-executed” following his side’s 6-0 defeat at the UniBol.

Dion Charles bagged a brace, with Dapo Afolayan, Kieran Lee and Declan John also on target, plus a Danny Batth own goal.

It is the first time the Whites have scored six goals in a fixture at the UniBol and sees Ian Evatt’s men climb to 14th in the league table.

Johnson admits his side played into Bolton’s hands and apologised to the 5,000 away fans in attendance.

“This is the worst feeling I’ve had in football in a relatively long career, in terms of 20-odd years as a player and a manager,” said the Sunderland chief.

“I can’t give too many answers at the minute. I felt we prepared well for the game. The pitch was good.

“We played into their hands very early but we’ve also got to accept that their gameplan was extremely well-executed.

“Right from the first action, we looked posey and it played into their aggressive pressing game.

“It’s all good and well having a great week but you’ve got to bring out your best when it matters most, and when it matters most is a Saturday.

“We have fallen unbelievably short today in just every facet of football.”

The result sees the Black Cats drop out of the top two and Johnson admits they will have to “go back to the drawing board”.

He added: “I still believe in the players – that hasn’t changed. I think we’ve got some good players.

“I have to take responsibility for that game today. It hurts to do that but I think I have to.

“Part of my job is to get the boys tactically right, but it’s also to get the boys mentally right and focused.

“We clearly didn’t show that, so that’s on me and we go back to the drawing board on an individual and collective basis.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum