Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'During the game I don’t have friends' - Ian Evatt on facing Stephen Crainey's Fleetwood

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'During the game I don’t have friends' - Ian Evatt on facing Stephen Crainey's Fleetwood 13657241

There is no room for friendship as Wanderers prepare to take on Fleetwood, according to Ian Evatt.

Evatt’s friend and former Blackpool team-mate Stephen Crainey will be in the opposite dugout at the weekend.

Crainey’s side are only above the drop zone on goal difference and will need to match Gillingham’s result against Rotherham to avoid relegation on the final day.

“It is football and Steve will understand that,” said the Bolton boss.

“We will be mates before it and we will be mates after it but during the game, I don’t have friends – I just want to win, and that is no different (on Saturday).

“I hope he has success in the future. It is great to see that Blackpool squad having manages come out of it.

“Rob Edwards has been promoted at Forest Green, you have got Jason Euell at Charlton and now (Crainey) – now manager at Fleetwood.

“It shows you that squad had something special about it. I am really pleased that he has got this opportunity but fundamentally, we are in this game to win regardless of the circumstances.”

Evatt is no stranger to this situation, having also come up against a friend in Doncaster boss Gary McSheffrey earlier this month.

Wanderers ran out 2-1 winners on that day thanks to second half goals from Amadou Bakayoko and Kieran Sadlier.

The Yorkshire club are now essentially relegated and would need a miraculous turn of events to escape on the final day, even if they beat eighth-placed Oxford.

Evatt says there will be no hard feelings following Saturday’s game but insists his side will be “full tilt” in search of victory.

He added: “You have to compartmentalise it. For me, the most important thing and why I am in this game is because I love to win.

“That would be no different if my dad was the other manager - I would still want to beat him, that is just the way I am.

“We will shake hands before and afterwards but during the game, we will be full tilt trying to win. There is no doubt about that.”

After the game, the Bolton squad are set to thank supporters with a lap of honour and Evatt insists it will be that bit sweeter should they win the match.

“We are really proud of the connection new have built with our supporters again,” he said.

“I think they are really proud of the team. Three or four years ago, it was the complete opposite to that so we must remember how far we have come.

“We know the journey, we know what we are trying to do and it is great that everyone is on board.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum