Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fleetwood boss Stephen Crainey on Bolton defeat and 'freak' Charles goal

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fleetwood boss Stephen Crainey on Bolton defeat and 'freak' Charles goal 13731981

Fleetwood boss Stephen Crainey admits he has never seen a goal like Dion Charles’ second in his side’s 4-2 defeat against Wanderers.

Charles won a sliding tackle against Callum Camps around 40 yards from goal and the ball looped over the helpless Alex Cairns.

“It was a bit of a block tackle and it has just ended going up and over, and into the net,” said the Fleetwood chief.

“It was one of those freak scenarios and it feels as if that has been going against us all season to be honest.”

Declan John and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson were also on target as the Whites finished the season on a positive note.

But there was also cause for celebration in the Fleetwood camp, with results elsewhere meaning they have avoided relegation.

Crainey, who took charge at the Highbury Stadium earlier this season following Simon Grayson’s departure, admits he feels “mixed emotions”.

He added: “I’m obviously disappointed to lose the game first and foremost. We came here with a gameplan and I believed that we could win the game.

“Unfortunately, we couldn’t do that. Going 2-1 down, Bolton at home – I thought we responded well.

“A few set-plays and corners, then Joe (Garner) pops up with another goal. At that point you are thinking, ‘can we go on and win the game?’

“Then there was a freak goal to put Bolton 3-2 up so that was a bit of a sucker punch. But then we get news in the dugout that the results were going in our favour elsewhere.

The result sees Wanderers finish ninth in the League One table after Portsmouth suffered a 4-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Crainey’s men finish above the drop zone on goal difference after Gillingham lost 2-0 against Rotherham.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum