Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dion Charles explains freak Fleetwood goal and ending his drought

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dion Charles explains freak Fleetwood goal and ending his drought 13733087

Dion Charles was due a change of luck at Wanderers – and he admits he got one with a freakish second goal against Fleetwood.

The Bolton striker had already broken a 12-game duck by bringing the scores level before half time but grabbed a second goal in exceptional circumstances to put his side 3-2 up at the UniBol.

Callum Camps slow reaction in midfield allowed the Northern Ireland international to make a slide challenge near the halfway line, the result of which was a looping shot which embarrassed keeper Alex Cairns and bounced into the open goal.

“I’ve scored better goals that I actually meant,” he laughed after the game. And with tongue-in-cheek, added: “I saw him off his line so I thought I’ll slide tackle it over him!

“It was a challenge and it was there to be won. I went in quite strong and the ball has just come off me and gone in the back of the net.”

Charles had actually played nearly 19 hours of football for club and country since his previous goal in a 4-0 win against Wimbledon.

Signed from Accrington Stanley in January, he had made a fast start to life at Bolton and has won over his new club’s fans with his energetic and committed style.

Nevertheless, he was happy to sign off for the season with a couple of goals which he hopes will be a portent for next season.

“As a striker when your luck’s in, it’s in, and my luck was in today,” he said. “But I think when you are on a bad run you just need to strip it back to basics and do the simple things well and just hope something drops for you and a little ricochet in the box and an easy goal, so I’m quite happy.

“It’s been a bit of a frustrating full season for me considering I’d not played since the start of the year and I signed here in January, but I’m quite happy with my goal return. I think that’s eight here now and a few assists so it’s been positive.

“Obviously I was on a bit of a drought with not scoring for so many games but that’s a confidence booster, so I’ll take that into next season.”

Despite the long run without a goal, Charles says his confidence did not dip.

Wanderers have continued to score at an impressive rate and have two players – Dapo Afolayan (14) and Amadou Bakayoko (13) – on more than a dozen goals for the first time since 2001.

“If I’m not scoring, I’ll do the other side of the game as well and I’ll run until I can’t run anymore,” Charles said. “I’ll make it difficult for defenders and I might be the unlucky one where I’m not getting the chances, but my strike partner will, so my work doesn’t go unnoticed.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum