Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Highlights from Ian Evatt's press conference ahead of Fleetwood clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Highlights from Ian Evatt's press conference ahead of Fleetwood clash 13424618

Ahead of this afternoon’s final game of the season against Fleetwood, here are the best bits from Ian Evatt’s press conference.

How is the squad shaping up ahead of Saturday’s game?

“Rico (Santos) and Kieran (Lee) are stepping up their rehabilitation but they won’t be available for Saturday.

“MJ (Williams) has got a nasty break of his hand but it is nothing too serious really. He has got a bit of a cast.

“We don't really want to take risks at this stage. But other than that, we are all good to go.”

With one game to go, what is your message to the Bolton fans?

“I want to say a massive thank you for their unbelievable support this season. One more to go and we hope we can finish on a high.

“But I think we’re really proud of the connection that we’ve rebuilt with our supporters and fanbase. I think they are really proud of their team and we are really proud of them.

“Three or four years ago it was the complete opposite to that so we must remember how far we’ve come. And the lap after the game will be so much better with a win.

“I think that’s the message to the players really, for the Player of the Year Awards, the lap of honour after the game and the entire summer - I don’t want to go away with a bitter taste in my mouth."

How are you feeling about coming up against your old Blackpool team-mate, Stephen Crainey?

“It is football and Steve will understand that. We will be mates before it and we will be mates after it but during the game, I don’t have friends. I just want to win, and that is no different (on Saturday).

“I hope he has success in the future. It is great to see that Blackpool squad having managers come out of it.

“Rob Edwards has been promoted at Forest Green, you have got Jason Euell at Charlton and now (Crainey) – now manager at Fleetwood.

“It shows you that squad had something special about it. I am really pleased that he has got this opportunity but fundamentally, we are in this game to win regardless of the circumstances.”

Fleetwood’s survival hopes are in the balance ahead of Saturday’s game. What are you expecting from them?

“I watched the game the other night against Sheffield Wednesday and they scored from a high press situation and a set play.

“Other than that, they sacrificed the ball and were hard to beat and worked their socks off because they’re fighting to stay in this division.

“I would be amazed if they came here and threw the game open. I can’t envisage that happening because I think what we have proven is if you go toe to toe with us, you can get hurt.

“They’re in a position where they have to only match Gillingham’s result, so I think it would be pretty crazy for them to come here and go all guns blazing and all-out attack because we have attacking weapons that can hurt you.

“I think it’ll be cautious from them. I think they’ll keep their eye on the Gillingham score and then they’ll adapt their gameplan accordingly.

“But I would think fundamentally they’ll play on the counter-attack, sacrifice the ball and be hard to beat.”

As preparations for the new ‘B’ team continue, how was the recent trial match?

“We have had them in training all week and have seen little flickers from them, things we require from our players, position specifics.

“There were three or four who took the eye and we will see how things progress – but it was a good day, it was really interesting.

“There was a mixture of players. Some were from big category one clubs and others have come in and have been playing in the non-league pyramid.

“We are open minded about who and what we recruit, where they have come from - we just want the best people to progress.

“We are new to this and we will get some things right, some things wrong. It is a completely different experience for me because I have only ever known the first team, and it will always be my priority.

“It is nice to look at ‘what if’ and what might develop with a different cap on. The game was highly competitive and there were some stand outs.”

And finally, have you made any decisions about which out of contract players will be offered new terms?

“It is the worst part of my job, there is no doubt about that. I have loved my four years as a manager and had lots of success, but that is the worst part.

“You develop really close bonds and relationships with these players. I trust them and they trust me, so it is really difficult.

“At the end of the day, you are taking a job away from them. There is never a nice way to do it but we all have to be professional understand it is just the industry we are in.

“It is not personal, it is just business. I think the world of them all. It has been challenging and it is not just the first team.

“Now, I am all over the Academy and the second-year decisions as well because of the ‘B’ team. There are difficult conversations to take place in the next couple of days.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum