Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wigan Athletic: Our main rival?

+6
WhiteBic
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
bwfc71
Reebok_Rebel
Sgt. Bash
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 15:17

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes, Latics are one of our rivals, but the only one to command a Wikipedia page?

Personally, I like it when our paths cross with Bury. You think Latics fans hate us? No, they hate Rugby more! Bury fans despise us! I love that they despise us. We even saved their arses when they came begging outside the Reebok with their buckets. Just so we could continue to laugh at their eternal struggle.

So, I'm saying Bury is our main rival. Who do you guys/gals think is our main rival?

2Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 15:21

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I will admit, last time we played bury the stone island posse came out in force...

3Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 16:17

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I laughed at the fact they called it a "historically a Lancashire derby" and the rivalry was only established in 1983 when both towns were already part of Greater Manchester!!!

4Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 16:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our main rival is Blackburn.

5Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 17:48

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yes, love beating the chicken lovers! Now that is historically a Lancashire derby. Contested ever since 1888-89.

In fact, we need to get Bolton (along with Wigan and Bury) back classed as Lancashire. None of this Greater Manchester nonsense!

6Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 18:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

We don't have a rival.

For some strange reason many see United as our rival - well they clearly don't see us as theirs! They obviously view City and at one time Liverpool as there's - these days they may even think that clubs like Chelsea are more a rival to them, than we will ever be.

I used to think years ago that it was Blackburn but they see Burnley as their rivals - and rightly so.

Bury view us as their rivals but we've hardly been in the same division as them over the years so it's more like wishful thinking for them.

I guess in a way we and Wigan are stuck with each other but it is not really a true rivalry to my way of thinking.

I think I'd rather have Wolves as our rivals - they seem to have been over a number of years in one way or another but they have West Brom and the other midlands clubs to compete with - so I guess it is Wigan or nobody for us!

7Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 18:37

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Can't really question any of the above.

I suppose you can throw Tranmere in there for good measures. Due to the North west being a hot bed in footballing terms and due to Bolton's journey through the league we dont really have a rival as such.

8Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 18:41

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Blackburn Rovers for me, we have played against them more often than any of the others in recent times. Nobody putting in a shout for PNE?

9Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 18:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NickFazer wrote:Blackburn Rovers for me, we have played against them more often than any of the others in recent times. Nobody putting in a shout for PNE?

When we were lower league mugs I always saw PNE as our main rivals, mainly because I lived and worked in the town.

10Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 20:30

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lt. Boon wrote:Yes, love beating the chicken lovers! Now that is historically a Lancashire derby. Contested ever since 1888-89.

In fact, we need to get Bolton (along with Wigan and Bury) back classed as Lancashire. None of this Greater Manchester nonsense!

Bolton is in Lancashire

"greater" Manchester was disbanded in 1986

11Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 20:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Lyric Todkill wrote:
Lt. Boon wrote:Yes, love beating the chicken lovers! Now that is historically a Lancashire derby. Contested ever since 1888-89.

Bolton is in Lancashire

Unfortunately not - as Wiki explains -

The Greater Manchester Urban Area is the third most populous conurbation in the UK, and spans across most of the county's territory.

For the 12 years following 1974 the county had a two-tier system of local government; district councils shared power with the Greater Manchester County Council. The county council was abolished in 1986, and so its districts (the metropolitan boroughs) effectively became unitary authority areas. However, the metropolitan county has continued to exist in law and as a geographic frame of reference,[4] and as a ceremonial county, has a Lord Lieutenant and a High Sheriff. Several county-wide services were co-ordinated through the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities up until April 2011, when the Greater Manchester Combined Authority was established as the strategic county-wide authority for Greater Manchester, taking on functions and responsibilities for economic development, regeneration and transport.

12Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:01

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:
Lyric Todkill wrote:

Bolton is in Lancashire

Unfortunately not - as Wiki explains -

The Greater Manchester Urban Area is the third most populous conurbation in the UK, and spans across most of the county's territory.

For the 12 years following 1974 the county had a two-tier system of local government; district councils shared power with the Greater Manchester County Council. The county council was abolished in 1986, and so its districts (the metropolitan boroughs) effectively became unitary authority areas. However, the metropolitan county has continued to exist in law and as a geographic frame of reference,[4] and as a ceremonial county, has a Lord Lieutenant and a High Sheriff. Several county-wide services were co-ordinated through the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities up until April 2011, when the Greater Manchester Combined Authority was established as the strategic county-wide authority for Greater Manchester, taking on functions and responsibilities for economic development, regeneration and transport.

Funny

Lancashire is since 1200 and summat

That other place was for 12 years

Only really lives on the BBC

13Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:02

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Are you a Lancastrian, Sluff?

Course you are

14Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:03

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I write Lancashire on my address as a statement/protest. However, as Sluffy has pointed out, Greater Manchester is still very much in existance and holding Bolton/Wigan/Bury and probably many more towns in it's unwanted grip!

15Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:07

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

“I can confirm that these Acts (1933, 1972) did not specifically
abolish traditional counties so traditional counties still exist but no
longer for the purposes of the administration of local Government ...”

Department for Communities and Local Government – 22nd August 2006

16Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:07

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

“Although the Local Government Act of 1888 and subsequent
legislation transferred to newly constituted Councils administrative
business and responsibility for redefined areas, such legislation did
not alter or affect the Duchy palatinate boundaries which remain the
same as the old (pre 1888) geographical County of Lancaster. Both
Furness and Cartmel lie within the County Palatine”

Duchy of Lancaster Office – 23rd September 1992

17Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:08

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

"The Local Government Act 1972 did not abolish traditional counties,
only administrative ones. Although for local government purposes some
of the historic counties have ceased to be administrative areas, they
continue to exist for other purposes, organisations and local groups.”

Department of the Environment – 3rd September 1991

18Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:08

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

“I can confirm that the Government still stand by this
statement,.…that the local authority areas and boundaries introduced in
April 1974 do not alter the traditional boundaries of counties. The 1974
arrangements are entirely administrative, and need not affect
long-standing loyalties and affinities.”

Michael Portillo MP, Minister of State for Local Government – 11th July 1990

19Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Tue Oct 30 2012, 22:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Lyric Todkill wrote:Are you a Lancastrian, Sluff?

Course you are

Born in the same hospital as 1966 World Cup winner Alan Ball and brought up in Halliwell

Used to walk for many a year down Higher Bridge Street, left on Deansgate, then right down Bradshawgate and Manchester Road - to get to Burnden.

Happy days!

20Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Empty Re: Wigan Athletic: Our main rival? Wed Oct 31 2012, 07:49

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Greater Manchester is composed of nine Metropolitan Borough councils, Bolton, Bury , Wigan etc and Manchester city council. Each Metro is responsible for their own Education, Social Services, Leisure Services, Planning etc.

Next time you are in the town hall square look on the ground in the middle in front of the town hall. You will see a mosaic of a red rose. This was put in at the last revamp of the square to mark our connection with Lancashire.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum