Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 3-1 Charlton

+6
wessy
Whitesince63
finlaymcdanger
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sat Sep 03 2022, 22:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The goals -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

42Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sat Sep 03 2022, 23:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thought we played well today and in particular Thomason, he was fantastic and MOTM by a mile.

The only issue for me is still the lack of a striker. Charles did well and put himself about but Bakayoko had a stinker. Not sure he passed to a white short all game, won 1 header all game and his hold-up play was poor. We did Dadbod back and quick!

43Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sun Sep 04 2022, 01:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Thought we played well today and in particular Thomason, he was fantastic and MOTM by a mile.

The only issue for me is still the lack of a striker. Charles did well and put himself about but Bakayoko had a stinker. Not sure he passed to a white short all game, won 1 header all game and his hold-up play was poor. We did Dadbod back and quick!
Dion can score but Evatt asks him to drop off to pick the ball up and do a pressing job which he does very well. Put him on the end of a shooting chance in the box though and he'll bury it as often as not.
Baka on the other hand doesn't look the part. He works hard but his brain and feet aren't quick enough and 20 goals could be his career total.
JDB is a finisher and if we can tweak the system a bit we'll be fine for goals.

I just think that when we throw the wingbacks forward our defence looks vulnerable down the sides.
But playing narrower with both MJ and George together does give us a more solid centre.

44Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sun Sep 04 2022, 02:00

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just about deserved to win it - but as others have said we seem to be open at the back - a better team would have 3 or 4 past us today.  Trafford made three very good saves........and on that subject..

memo to Ian: Never set up a bench again without a backup goalie ....signed Sharon.

45Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sun Sep 04 2022, 08:44

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It was a surprise to see both Morley and Dempsey dropped from the Sheff Weds game but good to see the new midfield was much better.Charlton struggled with Thomasson's strength and Lee was very good.Dion Charles put in a good shift, it was the first half decent performance from a Bolton striker in the four home league games so far.Afolayan didn't particularly impress as a sub.
Charlton created a few chances but were weak defensively, when Bolton went 2-1 up I felt that was the game won due to the ease Bolton could run through their midfield.

Maybe Dempsey/Morley is too lightweight and Thomasson is also needed with Williams.

46Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sun Sep 04 2022, 08:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:It was a surprise to see both Morley and Dempsey dropped from the Sheff Weds game but good to see the new midfield was much better.Charlton struggled with Thomasson's strength and Lee was very good.Dion Charles put in a good shift, it was the first half decent performance from a Bolton striker in the four home league games so far.Afolayan didn't particularly impress as a sub.
Charlton created a few chances but were weak defensively, when Bolton went 2-1 up I felt that was the game won due to the ease Bolton could run through their midfield.

Maybe Dempsey/Morley is too lightweight and Thomasson is also needed with Williams.

It seems to be more of a strategic change more than anything else.

Apparently Evatt identified that he needed to have MJ and Thomasson play man for man marking on two of the Charlton players - to nullify their effectiveness on the game - and I guess the result of the match justified his change.

He seems to be selecting players more on what he believes is best to beat (or stop) the team in front of him on the day, rather than pick his best team and play that eleven week in and week out.

Seems to make sense if we have the squad and players to achieve that.

Time will tell no doubt.

47Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Sun Sep 04 2022, 18:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was a good game and we were obviously worthy winners. Although you have to question the scouting at Charlton, they clearly weren't aware we don't like a fight and played right into our hands.

Ironic though that the best player on the pitch (Thomason) was the only starter not signed by Evans, and the same player who couldn't even make the subs bench on occasion.

And sadly, again, our strikers looked way off it, has one of them even scored yet? Absolutely useless. Rob Earnshaw should be brought in as attacking coach.

48Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Mon Sep 05 2022, 11:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:It was a good game and we were obviously worthy winners. Although you have to question the scouting at Charlton, they clearly weren't aware we don't like a fight and played right into our hands.

Ironic though that the best player on the pitch (Thomason) was the only starter not signed by Evans, and the same player who couldn't even make the subs bench on occasion.

And sadly, again, our strikers looked way off it, has one of them even scored yet? Absolutely useless. Rob Earnshaw should be brought in as attacking coach.

I mentioned a few games ago that playing MJ and Thomason together would solve the problem of having a soft centre and now Evatt has come out and said that Thomason has developed to the point where he [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Problem is that if you play both, it's a compromise - we play narrow giving the opposition the chance to exploit the wings especially when our WBs pile forward, and it's one less "creative" midfielder to help the attack.

Personally I thought Thomason's forward passing and linking of play was decent - something he's added to his game. He's always got stuck in, but if he can add the passing - and shooting - he'll soon be a very valuable young asset.

That said, Evatt is picking teams for specific games and even if they don't always start together it's not a bad option to protect a lead late in a game.

Whoever he picks, there's always going to be one aspect of the game compromised so from that perspective, we'll never be happy - but do you think we still need another midfielder - or just better players who can do more than one job?

49Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Mon Sep 05 2022, 11:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt is always tinkering with the line-up but i was surprised to see Thomason start on Saturday. He was outstanding but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back on the bench for the next game, it's just how Evatt works

I hope he leaves out Bakayoko, i'd rather see Dapo up there if JDB is still not fit.

50Bolton 3-1 Charlton - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 3-1 Charlton Mon Sep 05 2022, 11:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Evatt is always tinkering with the line-up but i was surprised to see Thomason start on Saturday. He was outstanding but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back on the bench for the next game, it's just how Evatt works

I hope he leaves out Bakayoko, i'd rather see Dapo up there if JDB is still not fit.
It's been a long road for Thomason to get into contention and I'm delighted for the lad. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on the bench either, but that will be down to how Evatt reckons we can beat Cheltenham and he'll pick the side accordingly.
Baka's having a rough time of it ATM and he needs a goal to get going again, but I agree and JDB would be my choice if fit as he's a natural finisher.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum