Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kyle Dempsey on feeling 'at home' at Wanderers and helping young players

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kyle Dempsey on feeling 'at home' at Wanderers and helping young players 16104089

Kyle Dempsey feels “at home” at Wanderers – and believes his leadership qualities are starting to show.

Dempsey joined the Whites from Gillingham during the final stages of the January window but had a tough start to his time at the UniBol due to a series of injuries.

The midfielder impressed during the recent wins against Accrington and Burton as Ian Evatt’s men came from behind on both occasions.

He is aiming to nail down a place in the side despite the strong competition for places in the middle of the pitch.

Dempsey is also no stranger to leadership responsibilities, having served as captain during his time at the Priestfield Stadium.

But that was not the first time the midfielder had been trusted with the armband.

He explained: “There was actually one time in my first ever year at Carlisle in professional football where I think it was halfway through the season that Keith Curle just came up to me before a game and said, ‘captain?’

“I don’t know whether it still stands but I think I was the youngest captain to ever captain that side, so that was a massive achievement for myself. I think I was 18 at the time.

“As an actual skipper, it was the first time at Gillingham where I was captain throughout the year.

“I think it brought out a character in which I didn’t really use to my full potential - at other clubs I’ve been at you’ve got the captains, you’ve got the senior players and I was always a younger player who played every game.

“It definitely brought out qualities that I knew were there, but it brought them out even more.”

The 27-year-old also had spells at Huddersfield, Fleetwood and Peterborough before joining Gillingham in the summer of 2020.

He isn’t afraid to be vocal on the pitch and hopes he can use his experience to benefit the younger members of the Bolton squad.

Evatt has not been afraid to put trust in youth since taking charge at Wanderers, with George Thomason becoming a regular starter over the past couple of months.

Aaron Morley also became an important member of Evatt’s side during the second half of last season after joining from Rochdale, while Manchester City loanee James Trafford has become a key figure in goal.

Dempsey has now had the time to build relationships with his Bolton team-mates and hopes it will pay off on the pitch over the coming weeks and months.

“Now for me being settled here, it feels like home. Every one of the lads, I know now and I have good relationships with them,” he added.

“I can be that leader on the pitch and I can deliver what I’ve learned throughout the years and nurture the younger lads coming through.

“We have got a lot of them and you’ve got to teach them how you were taught when you were younger as well.

“I feel at home now and I feel that real leader responsibility has come out in the last couple of months here.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum