Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scrapping the match day buses

+4
boltonbonce
Ten Bobsworth
karlypants
Norpig
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Scrapping the match day buses Empty Scrapping the match day buses Wed Feb 08 2023, 09:01

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Hart is talking of scrapping the match day buses which i think is a bad idea. I know numbers have dropped and they have dropped quite a few routes but for some people it is the only way they can get to the match. What do they expect people who don't drive (like me) to do? Most of those people are probably going to be older and will just stop going to the match.

I know they say the club are losing money but they did promise to provide these buses when we moved to Horwich and it should be more about providing this service to fans rather than just about the money. 

If they did stop these buses then there isn't a lot of options other than the train which is hopeless. I don't go to evening games now as i can't guarantee i can get home as there is only one train scheduled after an evening game.

Should the club subisidise this service or look to offer other options?

2Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Wed Feb 08 2023, 09:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree it shouldn't be about the money, but sadly that's all that matters to most people these days.

However, as Bonce is quite happy to shell out £70 just for a taxi to see his dentist, he probably goes to the match by Limousine so perhaps he could pick you up?

3Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Wed May 17 2023, 09:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have confirmed they will be running a ‘streamlined’ matchday bus service for their supporters next season.

After a thorough review of routes heading to the stadium, the club has decided to combine some of their less-busy routes to reduce costs.

Chief executive Neil Hart assures supporters that no area previously served by a matchday bus will be forgotten, and that it will meet all the needs identified by the review, but feels the new service will be more cost-effective.

Wanderers had expressed concern that passenger numbers had fallen in recent years and that operating buses to bring supporters to the stadium – a legacy agreement which was made when it first opened in 1997 – was now becoming financially unviable.

Hart confirmed that a three-year deal is to be signed with local company Tyrers to become the club’s official supporter travel partner, which will encompass matchday buses, away travel and also special extras, such as Wembley trips or shuttle buses for the upcoming Pink concert from Bolton, Leigh and Wigan.

“Tyrers have been really good to work with and understand where we are coming from,” Hart told The Bolton News.

“The rhetoric from us was that it costs the club a lot of money and can we put this in a position where we can use our funds better, make it more cost-effective without putting prices up for supporters? I think this will do that.

“We looked at how the bus services were being used – an example being we had one coming from the town centre and another from Radcliffe. Why couldn’t we combine that route? Two half-empty buses become one full one.

“The message to fans is that yes, the bus service is here to stay, it is going to be streamlined from the start of next season.

“We won’t be missing any of the previous pick up points – but if a bus is half-full, it isn’t efficient, and nobody had sat down and had that conversation before.”

Hart thanked supporters for their feedback during the consultation process, which was run in conjunction with the Supporters’ Trust, and insists cutting services completely was never seriously considered.

“A lot of really nice people contacted me – grabbed me on a matchday, they know I walk the plaza, go into the Fanzone, so anyone can come and see me. Lots of people told me they relied on the service, and I completely accept where they were coming from,” he said.

“I wasn’t expecting that question in the Supporters’ Trust meeting but when I answered it, I tried to be honest and transparent – and I just said it wasn’t working for us and that we were going to have a look at it.

“It needed to work for us in a better way, but I don’t think the intention was ever to cut it completely.”

Wanderers’ involvement in the Papa Johns Trophy final in April has boosted the membership scheme to more than 50,000 people, says Hart.

Success on the pitch this season has had a positive effect on season ticket sales, which hit a post-Premier League high of 14,500 by the end of the early bird offer.

The club hope to build on that number, with the possibility of Championship football still on the horizon.

“We have had a lot of supporters who came to the final, loved everything about that day, which was pretty much a 10 out of 10, and then bought a season ticket,” Hart said.

“It has made a lot of fans and from the club’s point of view the final also helped with the membership, rebuilt the database, so there is now more than 50,000 members.

“If you think we have 14,500 season ticket base at the moment, there is another 35,000 who are members, people who have bought tickets in the last couple of years and who are active with the club.

“That shows the potential of the fanbase and the potential we have to eventually get them in as season ticket holders, or people who are actively enjoying supporting Bolton.”

When launched mid-season, the membership scheme did cause some ripples of consternation among supporters, who quickly found themselves applying for tickets for themselves and family members in an unfamiliar way.

Hart has also acknowledged that some improvements are needed, and he hopes fans will see a difference next season.

He regards the scheme itself, however, as a success, and hopes that supporters are becoming more comfortable with the idea.

“The board and I stuck to our guns on it, and I think now we are reaping the benefits,” he said.

“It is a free membership, too. I was talking to a friend of mine who is an Everton fan, and he had to renew his membership and it was going to cost him £45.

“Other clubs charge but ours is free. We want people to join, be a part of it, because it helps us. But 50,000 members is incredible and that is current data – from October 2021.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Wed May 17 2023, 13:00

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I had to get a matchday bus after the Barnsley game and it was £7 for a single! I had to pay it as i had no choice but that is pricey. Took ages to get off the car park as well.

5Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Wed May 17 2023, 13:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I had to get a matchday bus after the Barnsley game and it was £7 for a single! I had to pay it as i had no choice but that is pricey. Took ages to get off the car park as well.
I have to use the bus if I'm not getting a lift, and it usually arrives at the stadium at around 2.35. Barely enough time to get a programme and a coffee.

6Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 10:24

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have outlined the changes to a “streamlined” matchday bus service for home games during the 2023/24 season and beyond.

Tyrers Coaches will remain the provider for the service, which has been running since the opening of the UniBol more than two decades ago.

However, some of the less-busy routes have been combined to reduce costs and the bus from Leigh will no longer be available due to the “extremely low number supporters utilising it”.

Buses will be in service for every home fixture in the league and will operate one hour earlier in Saturdays, with a full timetable set to be confirmed before the start of next season.

Prices will remain the same, although he services will not be running for pre-season and cup matches unless otherwise stated by the club.

Chief executive Neil Hart told the club website: “We are happy to have reached an agreement with Tyrers Coaches and to be in a position to continue offering a matchday bus service to our supporters.

“I would like to personally thank the Supporters’ Trust for their input throughout this process and to the many fans that have provided constructive feedback over recent months. We have listened and we are pleased that the end result is a positive one for all involved.

“Not only does this service now put the club in a cost-neutral position ahead of next season, but it ensures that a number of our supporters who rely on this service can continue to get to fixtures at the University of Bolton Stadium next season.

“As a club, we know how vital your support is - especially at home - and we hope this is another step towards ensuring that level of support continues.

“We look forward to working with Tyrers into the 2023/24 season and thank them once again for their support of our club.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

7Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 10:52

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Except it won't be the University of Bolton Stadium next season Smile  but it will be Toughsheet if the new bus service doesn't work for you.

8Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 11:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Except it won't be the University of Bolton Stadium next season Smile  but it will be Toughsheet if the new bus service doesn't work for you.
I have to use the Leigh bus if I don't have my lift. I'll have to get a 'real bus'. Very Happy

9Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 12:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I agree it shouldn't be about the money, but sadly that's all that matters to most people these days.

However, as Bonce is quite happy to shell out £70 just for a taxi to see his dentist, he probably goes to the match by Limousine so perhaps he could pick you up?
Ok, 'Taxi' may have been an exaggeration.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

10Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 12:56

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They don't bother sending one to Scotland.

11Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 12:59

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:They don't bother sending one to Scotland.
Take the train to Lancaster and then the Lancaster Whites bus.

Lancaster Whites have been running a bus to the Reebok ever since it was opened in 1997.

12Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 13:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I looked up trains for the playoffs out of interest and it was a 17 hour journey because of bloody strikes.

13Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 13:30

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The trains are mega shit these days.

14Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Fri May 26 2023, 15:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:They don't bother sending one to Scotland.

You live in Coventry.

15Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Sat May 27 2023, 15:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You live in Coventry.

Big day for the blues today.  Very Happy

16Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Sat May 27 2023, 22:24

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Big day for the blues today.  Very Happy

Double heartbreak

17Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Sun May 28 2023, 13:19

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sad for Cov fans. They haven't been in the prem since I was in school. 

Imagine going through that and then having to travel back to the worst city in the whole of the UK. 

A real cesspit.

18Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Sun May 28 2023, 13:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shame for Coventry but good luck to Luton, 9 years ago they were non-league.

I thought Coventry's Viktor Gyökeres was brilliant, if only Bolton had a striker like him that could actually control the ball and hold onto it until support arrived.

19Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Sun May 28 2023, 16:39

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes that Gyokeres at Coventry is a brilliant player. Seen him a few times, scores, assists, strong hold up play.

20Scrapping the match day buses Empty Re: Scrapping the match day buses Tue Sep 12 2023, 15:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've just been reading the match day bus on ww's and as far as I can see they are missing something obvious to me.

First of all I don't use the bus service, living down south as I do, so maybe I'm not understanding the tale correctly but it seems to me the view on ww is that it is some sort of plot to ditch the buses in the future due to lack of use of them.

The reasoning is that the number of buses is limited to just one each route, the cost is £7 return apparently and the bus get's you to the stadium a good hour or more before kick off - with the inference it is done deliberately to make you spend your money in the club shop and/or food and drink, whilst you are hanging about.

There is a view that is being done to deliberately create extra income to the club by exploiting the fans, and/or force people to travel by not using the bus, so the club can cancel them in future and save themselves the cost of providing them.

There is however another way at looking at this and that is from other organisations involved in the decisions and service delivery.

The club itself (see opening article) is willing to provide a service but as cost efficiently as it can - hence running one full bus rather than two half full ones - fair enough.

The consultation on the buses was run by the ST - the ST run the Fan Zone - the Fan Zone is open before the match and provides food and drink - can you see where I'm going with this?

The bus service is NOT provided by the local service provider (and thus isn't subsidised to keep fares to a maximum of £2 per trip) so the coach company that is contracted to provide the service needs to charge BWFC an economic amount.

I'm not sure how it works but probably a contract price between BWFC and the coach company is agreed and if whatever is collected on the buses exceeds that amount is shared between the two and anything less than that amount is topped up by BWFC to the company - or something like that.

The contract may include penalties if the service does not run within certain time limits, or indeed is more expensive to BWFC as certain times (say Boxing Day fixtures for instance).

So from afar it does seem reasonable to me to run the minimum number of buses it can by running them full rather than half empty. It does seem the times of the bus arrivals are scheduled at least an hour before kick off and no doubt it is hoped that folk will use the Fan Zone and shop although this isn't compulsory (but every penny counts as the saying goes!).

The contract is for 3 years, so it doesn't look as it is a plan to ditch the bus service per se but rather allow people to get use to the times it operates and the option of getting to the ground and back if you don't have any other alternatives to you - better than nothing sort of thing?

The government is not sponsoring the £2 maximum per ride (£4 return) so a further £3 more seems reasonable to me at least?

Just a few thoughts I have on the matter but I don't really think it is all some sort of a mass conspiracy or something as most seem to think on ww.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum