Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are fishing worms the new way of doping at the Tour de France?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I know you are all eager for one of my cycling stories so here is one for you!

It's a fan favourite of course - yes it is about doping!

IF (big 'if' as you should have noticed) that there really is something in this story, then in may well be the next doping scandal of choice for the next generation of sporting stars, let alone the poor old cyclist who are always the whipping boys (and girls) of most doping stories.

Anyway...

Blood from worms usually used as fishing bait could be the newest doping technique in professional cycling, even at the Tour de France, reports over the weekend have alleged.

Haemoglobin from arenicola marina lugworms, otherwise known as sandworms, is used for medical use because of the worms' incredible oxygen transporting abilities, and according to L'Équipe last week, the creator of the technique was approached in 2020 by a "well-known cyclist" who wanted to use the product.

Hemarina, the French company founded by Dr Franck Zal, say that lugworm haemoglobin is a universal blood substitute that can transport 40 times more oxygen than human haemoglobin. Its super-oxygen transporting qualities are useful for organ transplants, but also gives it an appeal for potential dopers. It is used by Hemarina for preserving organ trasnplant and cell growth activation.

Anti-doping controls can detect the haemoglobin from the lugworms, but its short half life means it is undiscoverable after a few hours, and therefore its use is unlikely to be flagged by a Biological Passport.

The World Anti-Doping Agency WADA told l’Équipe that it was aware of the risks of the special haemoglobin being used for blood doping, but that no cases had been detected so far. The French anti-doping agency also said that it was concerned about the use of the product.

Dr Zal discovered lugworm haemoglobin in 2007, and has used the extracellular haemoglobin, M101, for a variety of products through Hemarina, but also said that he knew from early on that it could be used for nefarious means.

“I understood very early on that it could be diverted,” he told l’Equipe. “We had several direct requests from athletes or gyms, who wanted to know how to obtain the substance. I also learned of its possible administration to racehorses.”

He said that in 2020, a "well-known cyclist whose team participates in the Tour de France, contacted me because he wanted the product".

Dr Zal said that he told the French OCLAESP (l'Office central de lutte contre les atteintes à l'environnement et à la santé publique, or the office for environmental and public health) police about the contact.

“I asked them what to do, they replied: ‘Make him talk, we want to see if there is a network.’ We had around ten exchanges of emails but at some point, I told myself that it's their job, not mine,” he said.

The OCLAESP confirmed the discussions to l’Equipe but declined to add any further information.

Dr Zal helped with Operation Aderlass, the German investigation into a blood doping ring that involved 23 athletes from eight countries, including cyclists from the 2018 Tour de France, the 2016 and 2018 Giro d’Italia, and the 2017 Vuelta a España, as well as endurance skiers. The athletes used a super haemoglobin in some cases, and pre-race micro blood transfusions to help performance.

“Sea worm haemoglobin works very quickly in the body after injection but it also has a very short lifespan,” Adeline Molina of the L’Agence française de lutte contre le dopage (AFLD) told l’Equipe. “This is a product to look for in competition. But it is visible in a blood test.”

Cyclingnews reported on Sunday that research published by Analytical Science Journals into the detection of extracellular haemoglobin from Arenicola marina in doping control serum samples said that “a detection window of 4–8 h should be sufficient to uncover doping with lugworm Hb. However, no data on the administration of M101 to humans have been published so far, so the results of this study still need to be confirmed in human subjects.”

The research concluded: “Due to its promising therapeutic properties, lugworm Hb represents an emerging doping agent which can potentially be misused in sports to improve the oxygen delivery capacity of the blood.

“Even though clinical approval for in vivo use as oxygen carrier is still missing, a graft preservative for transplant procedures containing lugworm Hb as active ingredient M101 has recently obtained the CE marking allowing its marketing as medical device for ex vivo usage in Europe, which makes the drug readily available for cheating athletes.”

WADA said that they were aware of the risks of the lugworm haemoglobin, but that they had not caught anyone using it yet.

“There was a very rapid understanding of this substance and its risks for doping purposes. We bought the product and put it in the hands of the anti-doping laboratories,” Professor Olivier Rabin, the scientific director of the WADA said.

“If this substance had been found in an athlete, we would have made it public. I can't guarantee that this hasn't happened somewhere in the world. But to my knowledge, this is not the case.”

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/are-fishing-worms-the-new-way-of-doping-at-the-tour-de-france

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The things people will do to get an edge amazes me. Whatever next?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ecky thump, the things Sluffy gets up to in the middle of the night. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Its never too late to learn, you know Sluffy.

You must get a little hand put on that watch.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Ecky thump, the things Sluffy gets up to in the middle of the night. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Its never too late to learn, you know Sluffy.

You must get a little hand put on that watch.

Thank you for your concern.

But if early nights made you into the the man you are today Bob, then I more than happy to remain being the night owl that I am.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

But if early nights made you into the the man you are today Bob, then I more than happy to remain being the night owl that I am.
Each to their own, Sluffy. 

Owls are interesting. They don't have visible ears but they do listen. Quite a lot of people on the other hand, have very visible ears but don't listen.

The wonderful world of nature eh?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Each to their own, Sluffy. 

Owls are interesting. They don't have visible ears but they do listen. Quite a lot of people on the other hand, have very visible ears but don't listen.

The wonderful world of nature eh?

Yes nature is wonderful Bob.

It does give us ears, and eyes and even brains too.

It is then up to us how we use them to become the person we aware, in what personality we have, how mean we can be to others and how some may even become obsessives and poor losers.

Seems a bit waste of a waste to have all those early nights if all you end up being is a bit of a knob don't you think?

I do wonder how much you actually spend listening Bob...?

Not enough I would suggest.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Laughing Laughing

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

It is then up to us how we use them to become the person we are, in what personality we have, how mean we can be to others and how some may even become obsessives and poor losers.

Seems a bit of a waste to have all those early nights if all you end up being is a bit of a knob don't you think?

I do wonder how much you actually listen Bob...?
Your immature insults and feeble hypocrisy knows no bounds, has no limits, has it Sluffy?
You have been getting noticeably worse with each week that passes. I sincerely think you need help.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

It is then up to us how we use them to become the person we are, in what personality we have, how mean we can be to others and how some may even become obsessives and poor losers.

Seems a bit of a waste to have all those early nights if all you end up being is a bit of a knob don't you think?

I do wonder how much you actually spend listening Bob...?

Not enough I would suggest.
Careful Sluffy you're turning into me  Laughing

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
Careful Sluffy you're turning into me  Laughing
Many a true word is spoken in jest. I think you both need help.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Your immature insults and feeble hypocrisy knows no bounds, has no limits, has it Sluffy?
You have been getting noticeably worse with each week that passes. I sincerely think you need help.

Hahaha!!!

Have I touched a nerve Bob?

Isn't a bit rich YOU calling ME out for immature insults???

Isn't that also gross hypocrisy from you?

And maybe I do need help, maybe you need help yourself for how you behave on here.

I've told you before if anyone wants to have a pop at me they'll get one back.  

And that includes you.

I'm not one of your lackies you lord it over.

I'm sure you've been called far worse than what I've posted above, and if you haven't I'm sure plenty have thought it even if they dare not say it.

You have been acting like a knob, you have started all of this and I'm not going to take it from you anymore.

Play nice and we'll get on just fine, if you don't want to do that then you know where the door is.

Have a nice day.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Many a true word is spoken in jest. I think you both need help.
i think you need a permanent ban from here, hoping it comes true eventually  :pray:

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pardon me for butting in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum