Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Next seasons squad

+6
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
Ten Bobsworth
Sluffy
Whitesince63
Keegan
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Next seasons squad Empty Next seasons squad Mon May 13 2024, 13:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not counting my chickens just yet but if we do go up, who is good enough to play in the Championship or who isn't? Feel free to disagree with my list below

Good enough
Baxter
Santos
Toal
Johnston
Dacres-Cogley
Thomason
Sheehan
Maghoma (if we can keep him)
Dempsey
Collins
Charles

Unsure
Jones
R Williams
Forrester
Iredale
Morley
Adeboyejo

Not good enough
Coleman
Nlundulu
Jerome
Mendes Gomes
Bodvarsson (too injury prone)

2Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 13 2024, 14:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just to add something, even if we don't think some of the squad may not be good enough, some of them (Morley for instance) are already on contracts for next season.

I couldn't understand why Morley was given a three year new contract earlier in the season, but I guess Evatt must think he is good enough to play in the Championship when we get there on Saturday!

I also suspect we will be signing Ogbeta for next season (I'm sure I read that the loan would be converted into a transfer to us at the end of the season?).

The only comment I have to your list is that I thought Mendes Gomez was just finding his feet before he was injured and I personally would not write him off so quickly - apparently we paid £300k for him so again Evatt must think he is good enough?

3Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 13 2024, 15:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was torn on Mendes Gomes to be honest but he is just too injury prone much like JDB.

I didn't realise Ogbeta was possibly going to sign for us after his loan. He's looked decent in parts but he didn't nail down that spot (neither did Williams or Ashworth to be fair)

I was torn on a few, if you'd asked me a few weeks ago about Iredale i would have said get rid but he seems to have improved and offered a better balance at LCB for me. Forrester as well i was not sure on as we haven't seen enough of him. The few times i have seen him he's played well.

I do like Morley and think he can get better, he just struggled to break up Tomo, Sheehan and Paris.

If we could sign Paris permanently that would be fantastic as he's looked a real player in the last few months

4Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sat May 18 2024, 15:23

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Not good enough
Coleman
Nlundulu
Jerome
Bodvarsson (too injury prone)

I took Mendes Gomes out for the reasons outlined above. I always thought we should have signed Alfie May and he's only gone and scored 23 times for a very average Charlton team. If we had those goals, we would have been automatically promoted and I wouldn't be the nervous wreck I am now.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

5Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sun May 19 2024, 13:11

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That lanky guy from West Brom played about 40 minutes one game and looked very good on the ball

Sadly got injured. Would like him back. 

I pray we don’t get maghoma back. With his ego he’ll be getting his agent to call Real Madrid.

6Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sun May 19 2024, 13:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I actually like Maghoma, he has been our best player for the last few months. Not sure he will come back next season. Not many of the loan players have been great this year. Taylor injured a lot, Ashworth and the RB from Liverpool hardly played and Ogbeta was up and down. 

Ogbeta is out of contract at Swansea and i think Evatt will want to sign him, not sure he is that great though.

One thing we do need to do next season is make Dempsey captain and play him more often.

7Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sun May 19 2024, 13:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Maghoma gives the ball away and kills play all the time but people forget about it because he does the odd dribble and has scored some long shots. 

Ogbeta is dreadful. League one is way too big for him.

8Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sun May 19 2024, 14:14

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I was hoping that when we got promoted we’d sign Oxford’s Cameron Brannagan, just the kind of no nonsense but intelligent player we miss in the middle but that’s obviously out of the window now. I suppose who we bring in and let go will depend on whether Evatt stays or goes. If he stays I presume most will stay with maybe the likes of Charles and George moving on. I’d send all the loans back because none other than Paris are good enough and he wants to break into the Brentford team and play PL next year. If Evatt leaves and a new man comes in it might be time for the likes of Forrester and Victor to step up. I think Forrester is one of our best defenders and for me would replace jones. Played in his natural box position and not having to run round chasing shadows I think we’d see a completely different Victor. I think alongside Collins it could make a good pairing? Obviously all up in the air until the managers position is confirmed and we haven’t yet seen the retained list either.

9Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Sun May 19 2024, 23:26

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Just to add something, even if we don't think some of the squad may not be good enough, some of them (Morley for instance) are already on contracts for next season.

I couldn't understand why Morley was given a three year new contract earlier in the season, but I guess Evatt must think he is good enough to play in the Championship when we get there on Saturday!

I also suspect we will be signing Ogbeta for next season (I'm sure I read that the loan would be converted into a transfer to us at the end of the season?).

The only comment I have to your list is that I thought Mendes Gomez was just finding his feet before he was injured and I personally would not write him off so quickly - apparently we paid £300k for him so again Evatt must think he is good enough?
When we get where on Saturday?

I'm afraid that Ogbeta proved again on Saturday that he's the kind of lightweight that we just can't afford.

I wouldn't disagree on CMG but not because Evatt paid money for him.

10Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 20 2024, 00:14

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Just to add something, even if we don't think some of the squad may not be good enough, some of them (Morley for instance) are already on contracts for next season.

When we get where on Saturday?

I'm afraid that Ogbeta proved again on Saturday that he's the kind of lightweight that we just can't afford.

I wouldn't disagree on CMG but not because Evatt paid money for him.

I backed my team to win - have you got a problem with that?

As for Ogbeta, I may have remembered it wrong but I had in my head what I said above, that the deal was a loan until the end of the season turning into a transfer thereafter.

Swansea have now officially announced they have released him...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...so it would not surprise me in the least if BWFC did announce sooner or later they'd signed him as a free agent.

As for CMG (and one or two others) I wasn't saying we should keep him because we paid money for him, I mentioned the money more as Evatt is personally invested in him (Dan, Vic, etc) because he's spent BWFC's limited money on them because he believes they are good players for us and he won't throw them under a bus without first doing his damndest to get him/them playing to the potential he believes they have - ie - it's in his own interest to do so - his credibility in spotting a player, improving them and selling them on - is ultimately at the core of FV's business model (if the owners don't stump up more from their pockets year on year as the business is not financially sustainable, then what other option is there - and if he fails then he will lose the faith Sharon has in him - and his job.

11Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 20 2024, 08:08

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CMG has been awful. 

He had a couple of average performances before his injury that’s it.

12Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 20 2024, 08:51

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:CMG has been awful. 

He had a couple of average performances before his injury that’s it.
Not saying you are wrong but there were signs of significant improvement just before CMG got injured. Sometimes it take times for players to settle in. By the same token, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

There are difficult decisions to be made this summer.

13Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 20 2024, 15:26

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There's no point worrying about which players are good enough when the manager clearly isn't. I'm sorry to be so blunt but until Evatt's replaced I wouldn't be confident of gaining promotion if we swapped our entire playing staff for Manchester City's. 

Evatt is a choker in my opinion and that mindset has affected the entire coaching and playing staff. Change the manager now, before the transfer window officially opens and let the new person decide which players we should keep, move on or otherwise.

14Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Mon May 20 2024, 16:05

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apparently we want Ashworth back according to Nixon. 

Bit odd but so be it. As long as we don’t get Ogbeta.

15Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 10:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers announce 2023/24 player retained list

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers have announced their retained list for the 2023/24 season with Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Cameron Jerome the headline exits.

Declan John has also been released at the end of his contract, having spent last season on loan at League Two Salford City.

Five loan players - Paris Maghoma, Nathanael Ogbeta, Zac Ashworth, Caleb Taylor and Calvin Ramsay – have all returned to their parent clubs.

The first team retained player list is as follows: Victor Adeboyejo, Ricardo Almedia-Santos, Nathan Baxter, Dion Charles, Joel Coleman, Aaron Collins, Josh Dacres-Cogley, Kyle Dempsey, Will Forrester, Jack Iredale, George Johnston, Gethin Jones, Carlos Mendes-Gomes, Aaron Morley, Dan Nlundulu, Josh Sheehan, George Thomason, Eoin Toal, Randell Williams, Luke Matheson and Conor Carty.

An option has been taken up on young goalkeeper Luke Hutchinson to stay with the club for another year, along with a number of B Team players, including Nelson Khumbeni, Charlie Hayes-Green and Yestin Shakespear.

Among the B Team players retained are Ben Andreucci, Trevon Bryan, Max Conway, Sam Inwood, Ellis Litherland-Riding and player/coach Andrew Tutte.

Sonny Sharples-Ahmed and Noah Halford have accepted an offer to stay with the club, while a response is yet to emerge from Wes Frimpong.

Jack Flint, Finlay Lockett, Gerald Sithole, Matthew Tweedley, Lamine Toure and Eric Yoro have been released.

Under-18s captain Sean Hogan earns a professional deal, along with goalkeeper Jack Dallimore, striker Harrison Fleury, defender Joseph Toole and midfielder James Westwood.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

16Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 12:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I would like to see Khumbeni and Matheson get a chance in pre-season to see if they can step up.

Not surprised to see John, JDB and Jerome go. Only loan player i would take back is Maghoma but it won't happen. I know we have been linked with Ashworth and Ogbeta as permanent signings but think we can do better.

17Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 12:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We should get Caleb Taylor back. He could replace santos no problem.

18Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 12:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:We should get Caleb Taylor back. He could replace santos no problem.
He'd make a half decent goal post.

19Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 12:32

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think he’d be very good at this level. 

Clearly the big egos will want to leave. Sheehan santos and dion. 

We need to replace them on the cheap clearly.

20Next seasons squad Empty Re: Next seasons squad Wed May 22 2024, 13:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:We should get Caleb Taylor back. He could replace santos no problem.
 Did you actually see him play? Saw him a few times and did exactly the same as Santos - standing on the ball and slowing the whole game down but actually worse than Rico.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum