Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was Coyle that bad?

+16
MartinBWFC
bwfc71
doffcocker
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
Copper Dragon
Keegan
Angry Dad
observer
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
xmiles
Sgt. Bash
jayjay23
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:The one thing that Coyle lacked is a football brain, and was never going to achieve anything with the stooges he had around him, Gartside is as much to blame for blatantly giving him more time than he deserved though.

That's down to the "Bolton factor". If Coyle had never played for Bolton he'd have gone a lot sooner.

22Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:35

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We should probably have another thread: "Is Gartside that bad?" After all, if it were up to him, we'd still have Coyle..

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

23Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:39

Keegan wrote:We should probably have another thread: "Is Gartside that bad?" After all, if it were up to him, we'd still have Coyle..

Have I missed something? I thought Gartside sacked Coyle.

24Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:45

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The rumours were Gartside was willing to keep Coyle if he agreed to have Sammy Lee step up to be his assistant.

But apparently Eddie Davies stepped in and brought it all down.

Obviously that might be complete crap! But thats what i read on, i think the BN.

25Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:03

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Keegan wrote:We should probably have another thread: "Is Gartside that bad?" After all, if it were up to him, we'd still have Coyle..

Good idea - I've just done it. Smile

26Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:46

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'll expect my cheque in the mail. Wink

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

27Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 21:15

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

But how many were dancing with joy when OC was brought in? ..... seemed like the majority.....so all where fooled.

I wasn't against it but I'm on record for years that we need a foreign manager.....I still hold that opinion even with the Doog.

And of course I blame SKD for the whole thing lol!

28Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 21:20

A foreign manager? What made you come to that conclusion?

29Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 22:37

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I thought Coyle and Freedman were foreigners.

30Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 22:45

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

xmiles wrote:I thought Coyle and Freedman were foreigners.

Nope they are British!!!

31Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 23:01

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc71 wrote:

Nope they are British!!!

Wait for the referendum in 2014.

32Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Tue Nov 27 2012, 23:04

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The majority of Scots are proud to be British, only the Irish immigrants want Scottish independence. So anyone hoping Scotland will be leaving the union are set to be disappointed in 2014.

33Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 13:19

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I believe that a foreign manager with no ties or knowledge of BWFC is the only way to truly change our style. Hoofball is not acceptable in Spain/Italy etc.... with that half of the team would be long gone including SKD, Zat and others who can't pass a ball.

Can't be done? look at Wigan as an example.......

OC was supposed to be doing this but was unable to identify a footballer.....jury out on Doogie for the moment...but he does seem to be putting the donkeys back in the team and after the Brighton display I think a concern or two is in order.

34Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 15:05

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

xmiles wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:

Nope they are British!!!

Wait for the referendum in 2014.

Its a pity us English are not allowed to vote, to be fair, then they would become foreigners!!! As it is the Referendum, as mentioned, will not bring about a change.

35Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 15:12

terenceanne wrote:I believe that a foreign manager with no ties or knowledge of BWFC is the only way to truly change our style. Hoofball is not acceptable in Spain/Italy etc.... with that half of the team would be long gone including SKD, Zat and others who can't pass a ball.

Can't be done? look at Wigan as an example.......

OC was supposed to be doing this but was unable to identify a footballer.....jury out on Doogie for the moment...but he does seem to be putting the donkeys back in the team and after the Brighton display I think a concern or two is in order.

What a load of rubbish. What connections does Freedman have with Bolton? Nobody could turn our current crop into a good passing side, the whole team is too poor.

Which Donkeys are back in the team? Knights been our best defender by all accounts.

There are plenty of foreign managers who have come over and been shit, its naive to assume that they're all passing football gurus, capable of turning the likes of Bolton into Barcelona.

Your point about Wigan shows how good a manager Martinez is, not foreign managers as a whole. By your logic DF will lead us to glory because he is Scottish and so is Fergie.

36Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 16:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

What a load of rubbish. What connections does Freedman have with Bolton? Nobody could turn our current crop into a good passing side, the whole team is too poor.

Which Donkeys are back in the team? Knights been our best defender by all accounts.

There are plenty of foreign managers who have come over and been shit, its naive to assume that they're all passing football gurus, capable of turning the likes of Bolton into Barcelona.

Your point about Wigan shows how good a manager Martinez is, not foreign managers as a whole. By your logic DF will lead us to glory because he is Scottish and so is Fergie.

I agree with terenceanne to an extent. Freedman has come in and instantly fallen into the same trap as Owen Coyle - different team every week, certain players dropped from the squad for no reason, same personnel in defence, Mark Davies picked at all costs.

A foreign manager with no knowledge of BWFC would have been less likely to follow the Coyle book of football management.

By the way, Zat Knight may well have been our best defender, that doesn't make him a good defender. He's rubbish and giving him a new contract must rank alongside paying £11m for Johan Elmander in terms of BWFC cock-ups.

37Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 16:31

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

I agree with terenceanne to an extent. Freedman has come in and instantly fallen into the same trap as Owen Coyle - different team every week, certain players dropped from the squad for no reason, same personnel in defence, Mark Davies picked at all costs.

A foreign manager with no knowledge of BWFC would have been less likely to follow the Coyle book of football management.

By the way, Zat Knight may well have been our best defender, that doesn't make him a good defender. He's rubbish and giving him a new contract must rank alongside paying £11m for Johan Elmander in terms of BWFC cock-ups.

Mark Davies is our best and only attacking midfielder, he should play and any manager who wants to play passing football would have him in the side as he's one of few who know how to keep the ball.

Regardless of how poor we all think Zat Knight is, on current form he warrants a starting place?

Coyle's problem wasn't a different team every week, it was keeping the same team every week regardless of results, performances and opposition!

A foreign manager would be no better equipped to turn us into a good side, the notion that foreign managers are better than British ones is a load of rubbish, Dougie's as good a manager on paper as we could of got in at this point, I'd rather him than that Solbakken at Wolves for instance.

DF's not picking the team based on any previous connections with the club, it's obvious he's doing it on his own judgement, rightly or wrongly.

38Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 16:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Mark Davies is our best and only attacking midfielder, he should play and any manager who wants to play passing football would have him in the side as he's one of few who know how to keep the ball.

I'm not debating that really, although last season he was pretty dire in my opinion.

My point is that Mavies doesn't fit into what would be our strongest team/formation.....too many times Coyle picked Mavies first and them created 10 players around him, desperate to find a place for him.

I have no doubt Freedman will pick Pratley in the Mavies role tonight, I wish to God he'd be brave and pick Spearing & Andrews with Eagles & Petrov on the wing.

39Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 16:41

Mavies fits perfectly into a 4-2-3-1 as the man behind the striker, Coyle's biggest problem was not realising that and putting him in a 4-4-2, which is a waste of time you're right.

Hope he doesn't play pratley the guy really is a joke (thanks again Owen) I' like to see the four players you mention too, can't see it though!

40Was Coyle that bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was Coyle that bad? Wed Nov 28 2012, 16:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Mavies fits perfectly into a 4-2-3-1 as the man behind the striker, Coyle's biggest problem was not realising that and putting him in a 4-4-2, which is a waste of time you're right.

Hope he doesn't play pratley the guy really is a joke (thanks again Owen) I' like to see the four players you mention too, can't see it though!

Yeah, I just want to go out there and try and win the game. Two defensive midfielders stops teams walking through us, but gives licence to the wingers to push forward - and if we had Ngog & Sordell upfront I really think we'd score a few goals.

I have no doubt he will pick Kevin Davies though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum