Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coyle Book Review?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coyle Book Review? Empty Coyle Book Review? Tue Nov 27 2012, 17:17

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Below is a book review from the Amazon site posted by a reviewer named Coyle who gives his location as Bolton. The thing to bear in mind is that this is supposed to be a review of a BOOK. Seems like the kind of mistake our beloved OC could make. Wink

0 of 8 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Suggestion, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Battle Castles: 500 Years of Knights and Siege Warfare (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to this programme. I am in fact "target audience": interested in Medieval History and good well-made documentaries, but, having watched less than 10 minutes on the Discovery Channel I was really disappointed to discover that, once again, the director had ruined the commentary and even the "face to camera" bits with loud, irrelavent, intrusive, distracting and infuriating music!!!!

When will documentary makers learn, that nobody but nobody ever says: "did you see Battle Castle last night? Wasn't the music just fabulous! Wasn't it brilliant how they played it OVER the narration? How very original was that!!"

Anecdotally, more people are likely to say, as I did... "switched it off, couldn't hear what the guy was talking about!"
I thought it was just me, but speaking to friends it seems I am not alone.

My rule now is, the programme's quality is in inverse proportion to the intrusiveness of the music. If the music is too loud it is generally to distract from poor quality narration...hence the 1 star rating.

If the producers of this video could indicate to me whether the Special Features include a "Music off" button, I might be interested.

2Coyle Book Review? Empty Re: Coyle Book Review? Tue Nov 27 2012, 17:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

There's fine margins between a good documentary and a bad one.

I think Coyle will have to take his medicine and accept that this is not one of the elite programmes that he likes and accept that Barclays Battle Castle (did you know it was sponsored - me neither!) is no longer in the Premier League of English fortresses and must consequently face the music of being in a lower division

To sum up I think Coyle (who is probably a nice guy) is absolutely clueless on this matter!

3Coyle Book Review? Empty Re: Coyle Book Review? Tue Nov 27 2012, 19:32

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

You miss the point spectacularly Sluffy. When I was watching your comment above I found myself distracted by all the colour in your video!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum