Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Team for next game?

+9
BoltonTillIDie
jayjay23
Keegan
Lofty_Love
Soul Kitchen
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
Bolton Nuts
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Team for next game? Empty Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 03:17

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Riley is out with a foot injury and is in for scans on it this week. Could be out for at least a month. Hopefully not longer unless the scans reveal anything sinister.

Lonergan could see himself given another chance after his impressive display against Sunderland.

Sordell has had surgery this week on his phone. Freedman performed the operation himself and later told us "There have been small issues off the field with his tweeting. It could be bordering on an obsession with Twitter and Facebook and all the things that go on with these kids. We are now trying to work with Marvin — by taking his phone off him.” I find it strange that the club have come out and said these things publicly. Will Sordell's cup outing and goal be enough to get him another start this weekend?

It seems unlikely that we will see any new signings in time for the Millwall game with the Baggies holding onto Craig Dawson for the time being. Having said that, if the paperwork flies through, we might get a glimpse of Craaiiig David, errr Davies who will probably challenge for a place on the bench. There is no return for Butterfield either.

Wheater, Holden and Vela are all in action tomorrow night against Oldham in the Manchester senior Cup. It's probably too early to expect a return from any of them for the weekend. Could Mark Davies be nearing fitness yet too?

So based on all of that here are the players I would pick for our home tie against Millwall...

Lonergan
Ricketts Knight Ream Alonso
Eagles Spearing Andrews Lee
Sordell Ngog

KDavies, CDavies, Holden, Vela, Mills, Petrov

I certainly think that with some of the potential new signings and some of the injured players coming back we are going to have a real dilema when it comes to selecting our best eleven!
Eagles

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 08:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Surgically removing Sordell's phone is probably a temporary fix as he can probably afford another one, but hopefully he'll learn from it.

It's great to have more options, and interesting to see how the manager plays it - we should learn a lot more about DF over the next month or so, especially if he bolsters the squad.

Thought Lonergan deserves another shot, but my gut instinct is that Mears will play RB and SKD will be up top unless Doogie has a road to Damascus moment.

3Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:20

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The thing with Sordell's phone is probably more symbollic. Perhaps they have blocked twitter and facebook on it and or taken it off him when the team get together so he doesn't sit in the corner facebooking instead of getting involved (look at that, you rarely use the letter V in a word and then two come along at once (in 'involved').

4Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is Owen Coyle Mk II we're talking about. He won't change the goalkeeper even though it's been crying out for that change for weeks. And if we do sign anyone they'll be bench-warming for at least 3 months.

5Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:This is Owen Coyle Mk II we're talking about. He won't change the goalkeeper even though it's been crying out for that change for weeks. And if we do sign anyone they'll be bench-warming for at least 3 months.

I have to agree, given what we've seen so far. There are several times when players could have been brought in to the team if only to try something different, increase competitiveness for places and generally keep them on their toes, but for whatever reason, DF seems to be another manager who knows what his team is and sticks with them through thick and thin. Mainly thin so far. It worries me that such an approach usually leads to complancency amongst those who are picked and dissatisfaction amongst those who aren't.

Maybe it's just me, but I believe there are many benefits to squad rotation.

6Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:57

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think we should sign a team that all have the last name of Davies.....that way doogie never has to change the team sheet. Razz

I expect a revert back to the usual donkey's for Millwall...... although I would love to be surprised.

7Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:59

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Biggie wrote:The thing with Sordell's phone is probably more symbollic. Perhaps they have blocked twitter and facebook on it and or taken it off him when the team get together so he doesn't sit in the corner facebooking instead of getting involved (look at that, you rarely use the letter V in a word and then two come along at once (in 'involved').

Sort of like parental control?

8Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Biggie wrote:The thing with Sordell's phone is probably more symbollic. Perhaps they have blocked twitter and facebook on it and or taken it off him when the team get together so he doesn't sit in the corner facebooking instead of getting involved (look at that, you rarely use the letter V in a word and then two come along at once (in 'involved').

Sort of like parental control?

Don't know the facts but from what's coming out of the club, it sounds like parental control is exactly what's needed.

9Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 14:38

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I think we will get a few surprises on the team sheet. And if we don't I will be surprised. So.

10Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 15:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I believe there are many benefits to squad rotation.

I think it's more a case of Coyle, and now Freedman, don't like dropping players out of form. I have no idea why.

Bogdan should be dropped as he's not good enough. Our defence is crap, but it doesn't help having a flapper behind them. Lonergan took his chance against Sunderland and should keep his shirt - if not what's the point of having a competitive number 2?

11Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:03

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I think it's more a case of Coyle, and now Freedman, don't like dropping players out of form. I have no idea why.

Bogdan should be dropped as he's not good enough. Our defence is crap, but it doesn't help having a flapper behind them. Lonergan took his chance against Sunderland and should keep his shirt - if not what's the point of having a competitive number 2?

To be fair Lonergan has been injured and every defender has now had a start under Freedman.

Ive not really seen anything that indicates much bias. I think the only player who has a right to be a bit gutted hes not had more game time considering his performances is Petrov.

12Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

To be fair Lonergan has been injured and every defender has now had a start under Freedman.

Ive not really seen anything that indicates much bias. I think the only player who has a right to be a bit gutted hes not had more game time considering his performances is Petrov.

There are a few players who have drifted off the radar though, and it would be interesting to see if they ever get a role with BWFC. I'd have hoped to have seen Joe McKee and Gregg Wylde for instance get a look in by now. OC obviously thought they could make the grade in the premiership when he signed them even though they are prospects for the future. But they've had time to settle and this is the Championship so I'd have hoped their development would have been accelerated. I guess that's why I'm not keen on bringing in players on loan unless we have a realistic chance of signing them if they work out. For me, Afobe has been a distraction, and Warnock, Butterfield and Spearing, good as they are have taken up valuable game time for our own developing players.

13Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:07

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
There are a few players who have drifted off the radar though, and it would be interesting to see if they ever get a role with BWFC. I'd have hoped to have seen Joe McKee and Gregg Wylde for instance get a look in by now. OC obviously thought they could make the grade in the premiership when he signed them even though they are prospects for the future. But they've had time to settle and this is the Championship so I'd have hoped their development would have been accelerated. I guess that's why I'm not keen on bringing in players on loan unless we have a realistic chance of signing them if they work out. For me, Afobe has been a distraction, and Warnock, Butterfield and Spearing, good as they are have taken up valuable game time for our own developing players.

I regard them more as competition than distraction, saw an article in which Zat Knight said he knew hed be playing every game because, due to injury, we didn't have enough CBs - this type of scenario can't be good. I don't see the point in throwing on youngsters when they aren't ready, its bad for the team, their moral and our points tally.

On the Gregg Wylde front I think Coyle was trying to find excuses, we tried to buy him before Rangers went bust for 100,000, when it was refused we didn't up the bid, so we couldn't have thought that much of him. He could very well get a look in now after his Bury loan.

We tried to get Riley out on loan, and O'Halloran and Eaves are on loan so Im happy with how we are developing our players.

14Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:36

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm guessing there will be no way to get updates on the reserve game? Waiting with bated breath to see how the comeback kids do...

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

15Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 21:41

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Bolton won 3-0!
Eaves on the score sheet. Holden, 60 mins. Vela 80 mins. Unscathed.

16Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 22:00

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Who to pick? My favourite game... but today I have no idea! We have loads of options suddenly.

Lonergan
Bogdan

Ricketts
Riley
Mears
Wheater
Mills
Knight
Ream
Dawson
Alonso
Warnock

Lee
Eagles
Petrov

Wylde

Mark Davies
Holden
Vela

Spearing
Pratley
Andrews

Kevin Davies
Ngog
Afobe
Sordell
Craig Davies
Eaves

Six strikers to choose from.
Six centre mids and 4 wingers.
Six centre backs.

And literally any of them is in with a shout of getting picked. Except, it seems, Gregg Wylde.

strike through = not available this week
bold = part of my best 442

17Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 22:07

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree with trying Lonergan out - played well in his last match
Sordell - Yes, lets make use of him at last
Ngog - hmmm (never know which one will turn up), but K Davies is nearing the end
Craig Davies (If he has signed and available) - would be a 70th min sub
Holden - Hopefully (but unlikely??)

18Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 22:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Taking a punt with Warnock then!

19Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Tue Jan 08 2013, 23:26

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I wondered when this day would come... Stu Holden back on the pitch!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

20Team for next game? Empty Re: Team for next game? Wed Jan 09 2013, 07:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keegan wrote:I wondered when this day would come... Stu Holden back on the pitch!

That's an old photo, there's a slim Michael Ricketts in the background. Or perhaps it's his ghost.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum