Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Lonergan be given a chance?

+9
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
terenceanne
BoltonTillIDie
Barryjw
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
Sluffy
Leeds_Trotter
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 07:55

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

After his performance against Sunderland, you would have thought Dougie may have given him a chance against Millwall. Do anyone else think It's about time he gets a crack in the starting 11?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hello and welcome Trotter.

Yes I do. Thought he would have played at the weekend actually.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he deserves a game but the real issue is the defence. We are always prone to giving the ball away and have conceded so many penalties this season i've lost count.

The sooner Wheater is back fit the better, we could also do with another centre half this month if possible.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Surprised
Norpig wrote:he deserves a game but the real issue is the defence. We are always prone to giving the ball away and have conceded so many penalties this season i've lost count.

The sooner Wheater is back fit the better, we could also do with another centre half this month if possible.

We can't hide from the fact that Bogdan is also a problem, too many mistakes at important times. Also, Lonergan made quite a few penalty saves last season my mate said. I agree our defense isn't great, but Dougies team selections don't help, Mears should be out for Riley and Ream out for Ricketts.

Leeds_Trotter wrote: Surprised
Norpig wrote:he deserves a game but the real issue is the defence. We are always prone to giving the ball away and have conceded so many penalties this season i've lost count.

We can't hide from the fact that Bogdan is also a problem, too many mistakes at important times. Also, Lonergan made quite a few penalty saves last season my mate said. I agree our defense isn't great, but Dougies team selections don't help, Mears should be out for Riley and Ream out for Ricketts.

Riley was injured so couldnt of played this week even if Dougie had wanted him to. I'd quite like to see a Ream, Ricketts partnership. It's worth experimenting with the defense as they've hit rock bottom in terms of performances.

I still think our biggest problem is in centre midfield though, Andrews is a liability; not mobile or dynamic enough, Spearing is OK but needs to be in a 3 in my opinion, it's hard to judge him alongside Andrews, as he ends up being dragged about the pitch covering.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

bwfc1874 wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote: Surprised

Riley was injured so couldnt of played this week even if Dougie had wanted him to. I'd quite like to see a Ream, Ricketts partnership. It's worth experimenting with the defense as they've hit rock bottom in terms of performances.

I still think our biggest problem is in centre midfield though, Andrews is a liability; not mobile or dynamic enough, Spearing is OK but needs to be in a 3 in my opinion, it's hard to judge him alongside Andrews, as he ends up being dragged about the pitch covering.

I'd play Eagles in the middle, in more of a CAM role, he performs better there than on the wing IMO.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:

I'd play Eagles in the middle, in more of a CAM role, he performs better there than on the wing IMO.

Brilliant idea, put our weakest midfielder in the centre. No doubt you'd pair him with Mark Davies when fit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:After his performance against Sunderland, you would have thought Dougie may have given him a chance against Millwall. Do anyone else think It's about time he gets a crack in the starting 11?

Of course Lonergan should have played against Millwall, as should Sordell.

Unfortunately we have another manager who has his favourite players and sticks with them regardless of form. It really is a shambles.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Of course Lonergan desreves a chance and he may cement his claim in the cup replay. It is easy to blame a goalkeeper whether Bogdan or Lonergan for a lack of confidence in a nervy performance playing as a last line of defence behind incompetant defending from the outfield players.

It is comical listening to those in the pub who cricise goalkeepers performances who to my personal knowledge have never played in goal themselves. Their lack of understanding is bewildering. But thats football I suppose!

10Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:20

Yes Lonergan probably does deserve a chance, the main reason he hasn't been afforded the chance yet is obviously in a bid to maintain Bogdan's confidence in the hope he can continue to grow as our number 1.

Personally I don't think he's ever going to be quite good enough at this level but to drop him now would really knock him back. Can't really complain about his performance against Milwall can we? If Lonergan performs well again on Tuesday night then DF will have a big decision to make.

11Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:26

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Can't really complain about his performance against Milwall can we? If Lonergan performs well again on Tuesday night then DF will have a big decision to make.

:toppoints:

12Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Yes Lonergan probably does deserve a chance, the main reason he hasn't been afforded the chance yet is obviously in a bid to maintain Bogdan's confidence in the hope he can continue to grow as our number 1.

BWFC come first, not our goalkeeper. If he's not good enough he should be dropped.

13Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:41

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Everybody should be given a chance to play. That's why you have a rotation and a squad. First of all it gains experience for the player and mentally makes them feel part of the team. Of course Lonnie should have a game or two just to keep sharp. Eaves can't come on for 15 minutes ? I don't believe that. From all reports Pratts had his best couple of game ....so drop him....what message does that send I wonder.

14Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bogdan has also put in a few better performances recently despite the vitriole from some quarters - the occasional bad game, but not as bad as he was a couple of months ago when he was spilling everything. DF has to keep the whole squad on side, however I think the best way to do this - and not just for the goalies - is to rotate the squad a bit more. That way, more players get game time, competition for places intensifies, performances improve as a result, players are fresher, everyone knows the system/feels involved/can slot in whenever needed and fringe players get tested properly i.e. in match conditions so that we can decide who to dump.

Downside is that we're likely to get worse results in the short term, but unless the club are still genuinely thinking about promotion this season, I don't see why we shouldn't use our time effectively to develop the squad and sort the wheat from the chaff.

That said, I've been advocating greater rotation all season, if only to see what we've really got in the likes of Sordell, Riley, Eaves and all the others who never get a game, but Dougie ain't listening so I don't think it will happen.

15Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 14:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The problem is if Lonners comes in and makes one mistake he will be branded "shit"

Bogdan has kept us plenty of games with good saves, he's also made a few mistakes that might have cost us a point or three.

Thats the goalkeepers lot I'm afraid.

16Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 15:28

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yes, Boggers is still young and should expect to be rotated. Instead of having his confidence knocked, he should use the competition as motivation to up his performances and be the best GK he can be. Make any player undroppable and they're going to put in complacent performances, regardless of their position (Eagles comes straight to mind).

17Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 16:02

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Definately, how can you take a ginger goalie seriously.

18Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Mon Jan 14 2013, 18:36

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

A lot of people's defence for the club selling Al-Habsi is that he is howler-prone.

Bogdan doesn't make many monumental cock-ups, but rarely saves the day either. How many times have you gone "What a great save, Boggers!"?

Me neither.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to persevere with a keeper that's ballsup-prone because he'll save more points than he loses, regardless.

Lonergan will have a lot of flaws that weren't apparent against Sunderland, but he made two unbelievable saves. More than Bogdan's done all season. Give him a run in the team!

19Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Thu Jan 17 2013, 07:53

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yet again a superb performance, surely Dougie must now reward him with a start against Palace.

20Should Lonergan be given a chance? Empty Re: Should Lonergan be given a chance? Thu Jan 17 2013, 08:36

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

To be honest I was doubtful that Lonergan would be any better than Bogdan... actually I still am.

But hes had two good performances so he deserves a chance imo, Bogdan hasn't been good enough to expect to have the position assured.

It won't hurt his confidence! come on thats not a valid reason to not swap someone. If Lonergan is putting in better performances Bogdan needs to work harder.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum