Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lonergan or Bogdan

+10
scottjames30
xmiles
Norpig
Barryjw
okocha
Boggersbelief
Bwfc1958
Natasha Whittam
NickFazer
Sluffy
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 13:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Assuming we aren't selling Bogdan anytime soon - why risk playing him if we were? - who is our best keeper and who should be starting games from now on?

I've had massive doubts about Bogdan in the past and had given up on him but he seemed to have got a whole lot better all of a sudden after returning from being dropped last season.

I'd say from the bits I see on TV of them (yes I know armchair fan giving views and all that) that Bogdan was the most talented of the two but Longeran has been the most consistent.

Probably harsh to drop Lonergan after his season performance to date but I can't help wondering if Bogdan now should be brought back.

What do people think?

2Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 13:04

Surely it was to put him in the shop window.

3Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 13:11

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

y2johnny wrote:Surely it was to put him in the shop window.

Personally I doubt that.

He's been around a long time so is well known about - and is a regular international player.

If that isn't enough he will have an active agent and if the club really wants to get shut of him they will make it widely known he is available.

I just can't see how playing in a low profile early round of a domestic cup would get clubs to suddenly notice him?

4Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 13:12

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

In an ideal world you want to have two good keepers but they will both want to play regularly and both are good enough. Lennon might wait and see what Bogdans attitude is regarding signing a new contract, if he indicates he wants to move on then that's it, decision made.

5Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 13:17

Aren't they both out of contract at the end of the season?

Would be harsh to drop Lonergan after his recent peformances. Yesterday was probably just to give Lonergan a rest and to give Bogdan some game time (most teams play 2nd choice keepers in cup games).

6Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 14:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lonergan is easily the better keeper and easily our best performer this season.

7Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 14:20

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Lonners deserves to stay in the team. He's shown himself to be one of the leagues stand out keepers since Lennon came in. Bogdan showed his quality when called upon yesterday though. Bogdan would probably command a bigger transfer fee if sold in the January window.

8Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 15:31

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Lonergan is easily the better keeper

No. He isn't

9Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 16:35

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bogdan makes too many calamitous errors, often misjudges the flight of the ball, and tends to push out shots centrally to onrushing forwards. Lonergan is a safer pair of hands, has a better spring, and usually parries shots wide or over, out of harm's way. He also organises his defenders better and has more presence. Don't get me wrong though; Bogdan makes a useful reserve keeper and Lennon is right to try and keep both happy and feeling involved.

10Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Sun Jan 04 2015, 19:35

People seem to forget how young and inexperienced Bogdan was when he first broke into the team (not to mention playing behind a Coyle defence), the last year or so you could see him get more confident and as such the control over his box improved. Be a shame to lose him because I think he'll be a top keeper and first choice for years to come but at the moment Lonergan's made himself undroppable and I'd imagine Bogdan will be on his way end of the season.

11Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 00:07

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Both keepers out of contract in June. Both are excellent but I cant help but think back to the transfer of AlHabsi. Many thought he was our best keeper but he was sold as he was the most saleable asset in order to raise cash. I think Bogdan probably falls into the same category.

12Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 08:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lonergan has been outstanding since he came in, so for me he should continue as number 1.

13Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 11:19

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Barryjw wrote:Both keepers out of contract in June. Both are excellent but I cant help but think back to the transfer of AlHabsi. Many thought he was our best keeper but he was sold as he was the most saleable asset in order to raise cash. I think Bogdan probably falls into the same category.

I think you are probably right unfortunately. We can't afford to keep two good keepers when we are so desperate for funds. Sad

14Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 11:26

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Lonergan has been outstanding since he came in, so for me he should continue as number 1.
This, sell Bogdan and use the funds for strengthening the Midfield.

15Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 21:24

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

There's no right answer to this.   We should keep two good keepers if possible. You are always one injury away. 
In regards the future it makes more sense to keep boggers because he is only 25 and there are a good 10 more years in him.  But as we know Boggers is likely worth more money on the open market.
I personally think Lonnie is a better keeper at the moment but he is 32 ?

If I had my arm twisted today I would sell Boggers......only if those funds were used to strengthen the team....not put an extension on Fat Phils house.  It's catch 22 really.

16Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 21:55

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Lonergan owns the jersey, earned the Jersey, and should keep the Jersey, this should only come up if and when his form drops, he plays out of his skin each week it won't even be an issue with Lennon at this point why should it even be a consideration.

17Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Mon Jan 05 2015, 21:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:Lonergan owns the jersey, earned the Jersey, and should keep the Jersey, this should only come up if and when his form drops, he plays out of his skin each week it won't even be an issue with Lennon at this point why should it even be a consideration.
:agree:

18Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Tue Jan 06 2015, 20:11

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Lonergan is playing very well. It ain't broke so why fix it?

19Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Tue Jan 06 2015, 20:17

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Lonergan is playing very well. It ain't broke so why fix it?

At the moment I agree, but we should consider the wider issue really. Personally I'd take Bogdan, there have been moments in recent weeks where Lonergan's mistakes have been lucky not to cost us a goal. He's been excellent but had one of those gone in he'd be in danger of losing the number one spot.

20Lonergan or Bogdan Empty Re: Lonergan or Bogdan Tue Jan 06 2015, 21:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

At the moment I agree, but we should consider the wider issue really. Personally I'd take Bogdan, there have been moments in recent weeks where Lonergan's mistakes have been lucky not to cost us a goal. He's been excellent but had one of those gone in he'd be in danger of losing the number one spot.

WUM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum