Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meteor shower in Russia!

+2
Reebok_Rebel
Boggersbelief
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:57

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not really much else I can say, just watch:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7c-0iwBEswE

In this video you can hear the sonic boom, windows breaking and alarms going off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKld9ftxBvQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:17

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Why do meteorites always seem to hit Russia?

Seriously, they do.

3Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Why do meteorites always seem to hit Russia?

Seriously, they do.

The one in Deep Impact didn't.

4Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:34

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Seriously, they do.

The one in Deep Impact didn't.

The one in deep impact was an asteroid.

5Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:

The one in deep impact was an asteroid.

Is this the part where you tell me the difference?

6Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:51

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Asteroids are planet killers, meteors aren't

7Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Asteroids are planet killers, meteors aren't

Pipe down Patrick.

8Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:18

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Your lack of intelligence is beginning to show.

9Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I would have thought that Nat's response to this news would be "the end of the world is nigh".

10Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Your lack of intelligence is beginning to show.

Because I don't know much about asteroids?

I bet I know twice as much as you about everything else.

11Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:57

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Your lack of intelligence is beginning to show.

Because I don't know much about asteroids?

I bet I know twice as much as you about everything else.

You know a lot about a little.

12Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 13:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:

You know a lot about a little.

I have a PhD, please address me as Dr Whittam from now on.

13Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 13:02

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seriously, they do.

because it's a large country??

14Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:08

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Since space science is a strong subject of mine, I'll try and explain the difference between a Meteor and an Asteroid as best I can:

Asteroids come from a belt of rocks (from the size of dust up to the size of dwarf planets) between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. These rocks are left over debris from the formation of the planets. These rocks become known as Meteoroids once they enter Earth's atmosphere and only become known as Meteorites once they hit ground and even then, it's only if they survive the impact.

Very complicated system to people who don't know it.

Now, I can hear some people asking: "Well what the hell is a Comet then!?"

Well, whereas Asteroids are objects made of mostly rock and metal, Comets are a mix of rock and water ice (which causes the tail when they stray too close to the Sun). Also, whereas Asteroids tend to come from the belt between Mars and Jupiter, all Comets come from the "Kuiper belt", which is another belt of rocks left over from the formation of the planets. This one being beyond the orbit of Neptune. The former planet and current Dwarf planet Pluto is a large member of this belt.

EDIT to mention: Some Comets also come from Oort cloud, which is even further out from the Sun than the Kuiper belt.

Isn't it simple when you know! Meteor shower in Russia! 3630314092

15Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So Boggers was wrong? What a tit.

16Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The other key difference is that Preparation H doesn't get rid of comets.

17Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:52

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:The other key difference is that Preparation H doesn't get rid of comets.

That actually made me chuckle! Laughing

18Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:59

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:So Boggers was wrong? What a tit.

I wasn't wrong. Asteroids are big enough to destroy earth and meteors, like the one today, aren't.

Look out for the asteroid capable of wiping out london tonight, it will fly past earth at a distance of 15-17 thousand miles, which is the closest ever recorded!

19Meteor shower in Russia! Empty Re: Meteor shower in Russia! Fri Feb 15 2013, 15:40

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Boggersbelief wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:So Boggers was wrong? What a tit.

I wasn't wrong. Asteroids are big enough to destroy earth and meteors, like the one today, aren't.

Sorry Boggers, but as above, a rock is only an Asteroid when it's in space. Fact.

Even the the rock that allegedly wiped out the Dinosaurs fell under the classification of being an Asteroid in space, a Meteoroid once in the atmosphere and a Meteorite once it made contact with the surface of the Earth (well the pieces that survived anyway).

It's one of those systems that causes a lot of confusion to anyone not familiar with it. People calling all space rocks, even once on Earth, Asteroids has become like foreign people calling all of Britain "England" or all of the Netherlands "Holland". It's widely accepted, although factually inaccurate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum