Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Play-Offs or Relegation Battle?

+5
Jamster26
wanderlust
Sgt. Bash
Bernard Dennis Park
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Reply to topic

Which is more exciting?

Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Vote_lcap75%Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Vote_rcap 75% [ 15 ]
Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Vote_lcap25%Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Vote_rcap 25% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 14:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Be honest. Trying to get into the play-offs against the likes of Rovers, Brighton, Leicester etc is far more exciting than a relegation battle agsinst Man Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool.

I'd tired of the annual relegation battle where success was finishing 17th. Even if we don't make the play-offs, this season has already been better than the last two or three.

Do you find challenging for the play-offs more exciting than a PL relegation battle?

2Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 14:38

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'd rather be in the Premier League every year tbh.

But going for promotion is more enjoyable than fighting relegation.

Losing a play-off final almost feels like relegation though.

3Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:18

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I too would rather we were in the Premier League, but chasing promotion is much more exciting than fighting against relegation, which is just stressful.

4Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[quote="Natasha Whittam"]Be honest. Trying to get into the play-offs against the likes of Rovers, Brighton, Leicester etc is far more exciting than a relegation battle agsinst Man Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool.[quote]
I wouldn't know where to begin discussing a u-turn of these proportions. But I'll try anyway. "Be honest" - you haven't had a good word to say about this season until very recently and even then you've described recent matches as "boring". The "Freedman is the new Coyle" and "X, Y or Z is shit/lightweight/overpaid ponce etc" banter has died down for now, but I assume it will only take one defeat before it's back with a vengeance. If you had any shame whatsoever, you'd be embarrassed at posting this thread, but I'm guessing you haven't. You have the moral standards of a journalist. I like it.

Last edited by wanderlust on Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:24; edited 1 time in total

5Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:23

i've really been looking forward to this season and TBF was probably way more confident than i should of been!

It has had it's trials and tribulations but i do quite like this league and find having something more to play for other than a bigger pay packet by staying in the league has been a lot more enjoyable.

I know we are on a late run at the moment, and if we do make he play offs then great, but i don't think i would be too disappointed if we didn't go up first time round.

I know it will have implications like losing players, money etc, but i just think this is more our level at the moment and we need to build on this before taking another crack at the premiership.

6Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Losing players and money will leave us even less equipped to take on the Premiership, so in that respect I reckon promotion would be a good thing, then worry about the squad if we get there - a nice problem to have.

7Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 15:48

wanderlust wrote:Losing players and money will leave us even less equipped to take on the Premiership, so in that respect I reckon promotion would be a good thing, then worry about the squad if we get there - a nice problem to have.

This is very true!

8Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 16:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
I wouldn't know where to begin discussing a u-turn of these proportions. But I'll try anyway.

"Be honest" - you haven't had a good word to say about this season until very recently and even then you've described recent matches as "boring". The "Freedman is the new Coyle" and "X, Y or Z is shit/lightweight/overpaid ponce etc" banter has died down for now, but I assume it will only take one defeat before it's back with a vengeance. If you had any shame whatsoever, you'd be embarrassed at posting this thread, but I'm guessing you haven't. You have the moral standards of a journalist. I like it.

We have got to 9th in the table despite Freedman, not because of him. He's still clueless at picking a team to win a match.

But that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed this season. You have no idea what my excitement levels are.

9Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 16:16

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I prefer the Relegation battle in the Premier League.

10Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 16:40

Natasha Whittam wrote:

We have got to 9th in the table despite Freedman, not because of him. He's still clueless at picking a team to win a match.

Bollocks, we've improved because of him.

Improved training, fitness, tactics, substitutions and signings are down to the manager.

He's picked 4 teams in a row to win a match, his substitutions have been particularly successful, don't start inventing things.

11Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 16:59

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

My only problem with this season is that it is a pain in the posterior to see the games. It makes a pleasant change to see the team fighting to the top instead of sliding to the bottom. A relegation battle does have excitement - there's no denying it - but for some reason I had expected to be in the playoffs (and winning it!) instead of the automatic promotion that was widely touted. Our older members may recall my asking if you'd prefer the second automatic spot over the playoff winning spot. A trip to Wembley, a trophy and some blue/white confetti sounds pretty good to me.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

12Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:17

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Anybody who would rather get in the play-offs, and risk losing, rather than finish second and get automatic promotion is insane and should euthanised.

13Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:22

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

This season is the first time I have had a season ticket outside the Premier league, the level of opposition is fucking terrible and the refs are even worse, I think the only good thing about this season has been our current run of form and our away support. Other than that it's been dour to say the least.

I'd love a play off experience but would much prefer us to be playing the big boys every week in all honesty.

14Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
I wouldn't know where to begin discussing a u-turn of these proportions. But I'll try anyway.

"Be honest" - you haven't had a good word to say about this season until very recently and even then you've described recent matches as "boring". The "Freedman is the new Coyle" and "X, Y or Z is shit/lightweight/overpaid ponce etc" banter has died down for now, but I assume it will only take one defeat before it's back with a vengeance. If you had any shame whatsoever, you'd be embarrassed at posting this thread, but I'm guessing you haven't. You have the moral standards of a journalist. I like it.

But that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed this season. You have no idea what my excitement levels are.
I guess he has some clue seeing as we are currently 9th and haven't lost for a while despite having players who in your words are variously shit, ponces and/or lightweight. I couldn't comment on your excitement levels.

15Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:39

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Just to be clear to our newer posters, my previous post had the caveat that we would be promoted in either event. So to recap: Promoted by being the second automatic team or promoted by winning the playoffs? I chose the play-offs just to have the trophy and the winning day out at Wembley.

Thank you.

16Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:46

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Keegan wrote:and the winning day out at Wembley.

You wouldn't be having a day out at Wembley though.

17Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

A building season, so no great expectations. The one thing I don't miss is the depression after the vast majority of the games. Also, and knowing a good game is nothing more than keeping the score down, along with the expectation that the top four, (or 6) will always gives us a kicking. So for me its this season without a doubt. Its nice to be in the mix again, rather than back-pedalling the whole season.

18Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 17:54

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:

I didn't actually beat Blackburn on Tuesday either. Rolling Eyes

19Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 18:11

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For me challenging for the play-offs, is better than getting beat week in week out.

20Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Empty Re: Play-Offs or Relegation Battle? Thu Mar 07 2013, 18:15

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Keegan wrote:
Bernard Dennis Park wrote:

I didn't actually beat Blackburn on Tuesday either. Rolling Eyes

Shit fan.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum