Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Away goal rule flaw blatant?

+6
Michael Bolton
Sgt. Bash
Hipster_Nebula
Copper Dragon
scottjames30
doffcocker
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Away goal rule flaw blatant? Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:23

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Spurs won in the Europa League tonight losing 4-1, 4-4 on aggregate to Inter Milan. Content though I am with this outcome, it further begs a question I've been asking a long time.

Tottenham won the tie on the basis that they scored an away goal more than Inter. But in the event that the scores from the first and second leg are identical such as the match in question, the away team of the second leg stand a clear mathematical advantage in that come the end of extra time, they have had 120 minutes in which to score the all-important away goals, where the home team only had 90.

Am I the only person to have spotted this, or just the only one to find it outrageous?

2Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:29

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes, its a stupid rule.

Extra time should wipe the away goal rule out.

3Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:31

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

A similar thing happened for us against Spurs in the League Cup semi final.

4-1 down after the first leg away and we won 3-0 in the home leg but League Cup rules had changed that season and the away goal rule was taken out.

So Spurs got an extra 30 minutes to try and get through, which they did.

Jammy Spurs.

4Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:58

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw someone said it on the bbc page.

never really thought it about tbh!

5Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Thu Mar 14 2013, 22:11

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Away goals rule should be scrapped all together IMHO. If the scores are level after one or two matches, extra time and penalties should decide the match. If you don't like penalties as a decider, the only other way is replays until someone wins.

6Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 06:39

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think the away goals rule is very good, if it wasn't there away teams would have no incentive of attacking, they would play for a nil nil and look to the home leg.

I am guessing the away goals advantage in extra time for the away team is balanced somewhat by the home team playing an extra half hour at home.

7Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 06:51

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Michaels right. If there was no away goals we could possibly have some awful games more often. Having the away goal makes teams come out and play. Arsenal the other night is an example

8Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 08:06

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It's the luck of the draw.

9Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 11:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:I think the away goals rule is very good, if it wasn't there away teams would have no incentive of attacking, they would play for a nil nil and look to the home leg.

I am guessing the away goals advantage in extra time for the away team is balanced somewhat by the home team playing an extra half hour at home.

That's exactly why the away goals rule was introduced. There were some awful wars of attrition before it came in and given that everyone knows the rule from the start, it adds more spice to games.

10Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 11:53

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't have a problem with the idea behind the away goal rule. The trouble is the way it is implemented makes it, at a point, fundamentally unfair.

Michael Bolton wrote:

I take this point but is a psychological advantage a fair balance for a mathematical one? Not in my opinion.

11Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 12:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It may not be a fair trade off, but both team's know the score from the outset.
It's certainly more fair than a one leg cup competition where you're either drawn home or away.

12Away goal rule flaw blatant? Empty Re: Away goal rule flaw blatant? Fri Mar 15 2013, 12:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have you got a better idea Doffcocker?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum