Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton's current situation

+13
xmiles
Soul Kitchen
Michael Bolton
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
aaron_bwfc
gloswhite
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
scottjames30
Reebok Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
Copper Dragon
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

How do you feel about the finances and where you are at the moment?

Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_rcap 42% [ 14 ]
Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_rcap 45% [ 15 ]
Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% [ 2 ]
Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 33

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 10:51

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
But we are where we are so there's little point in raking over the past and it would benefit the club if our fans accepted it and moved on.
:agree: 

22Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:08

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Furthermore what kind of idiots are we to respond to a post by a rival supporter who is no doubt wearing a warm glow at this.  That's how low we've sunk!!
Just two questions Soul Kitchen....

Why would I have a warm glow?

Why do any rival fans talk about other rival clubs (I've read plenty of posts on here posted by Bolton fans about the fortunes of Blackburn)?

23Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 11:45

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Michael Bolton wrote:

Coyle's signings weren't that bad though were they? He never had a lot to spend, he had to sell Al Habsi to fund N'Gog. He signed Holden who was good apart from the fact he is always injured. I thought NRC was excellent for us. Wheater again on paper looked a good signing and yet he got injured. Lee was out for almost a whole season too. Considering we only went down on goal difference we were pretty unlucky to not have picked up one more point had we had Lee, Holden and Muamba.
Carrying on raking over the past (sorry), Coyle also signed Pratley, Mears, Tuncay, Ream, Sordell, Wylde, Andrews and Mills and re-signed Knight and SKD. He also failed to make sensible use of loanees despite early success with Wilshire and Sturridge - anyone remember Boyata, Kakuta and Afobe?

24Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 12:02

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

xmiles wrote:
Michael Bolton wrote:

Coyle's signings weren't that bad though were they? He never had a lot to spend, he had to sell Al Habsi to fund N'Gog. He signed Holden who was good apart from the fact he is always injured. I thought NRC was excellent for us. Wheater again on paper looked a good signing and yet he got injured. Lee was out for almost a whole season too. Considering we only went down on goal difference we were pretty unlucky to not have picked up one more point had we had Lee, Holden and Muamba.
Carrying on raking over the past (sorry), Coyle also signed Pratley, Mears, Tuncay, Ream, Sordell, Wylde, Andrews and Mills and re-signed Knight and SKD. He also failed to make sensible use of loanees despite early success with Wilshire and Sturridge - anyone remember Boyata, Kakuta and Afobe?
Very true. I had forgotten about some of that rubbish.

25Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 13:04

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Copper Dragon wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:
Furthermore what kind of idiots are we to respond to a post by a rival supporter who is no doubt wearing a warm glow at this.  That's how low we've sunk!!
Just two questions Soul Kitchen....

Why would I have a warm glow?

Why do any rival fans talk about other rival clubs (I've read plenty of posts on here posted by Bolton fans about the fortunes of Blackburn)?
I don' tbjnk either of those questions need answering, so the float won't be goin under the surface!!

26Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 16:18

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We are a sleeping giant, we'll be in a deep sleep when we get relegated next season.

27Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 17:16

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's Megson and Coyle that are to blame.

I tire of this myth that we're now paying for the great days under Allardyce. We lived very much within our means during that time and a lot of players BSA left behind would be sold on for a healthy sum.

Anelka - £15m
Al-Habsi- £4m
Nolan - £4m
Dzemaili - £2m
Diouf - £3m
Meite - £2.5m
Faye - 2.5m
Ben Haim would have gone for good money had his contract been dealt with correctly.

The only thing we're paying for now is the final five dour seasons we spent in the Prem, in which we paid top dollar for utter shite.

28Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 17:18

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Michael Bolton wrote:Those who say Megson spent £30m plus need to understand he sold Anelka, Diouf and Nolan for about £22m. 
Those who say Megson spent £30m need to understand he spent a lot more than £30m.

29Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Fri Sep 06 2013, 17:19

Selling Dzemaili always riled me, we had a quality player on our hands there and should have stuck with him. Megson just had no idea who he was and didn't give him a chance.

He moved to Napoli for €9 million a couple of years ago. Another player who should have given us good resale value but didn't.

30Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Selling Dzemaili always riled me, we had a quality player on our hands there and should have stuck with him. Megson just had no idea who he was and didn't give him a chance.

He moved to Napoli for €9 million a couple of years ago. Another player who should have given us good resale value but didn't.
Pissed me off too that one. There seems to be a pattern of developing talent but not giving them a proper chance in the first team - or perhaps it's more being so obsessed with results that successive managers aren't willing to give them game time to develop.
Ironic as we always gave other clubs' loanees that opportunity. Dzemaili is a good player - one of many we have let slip through our grasp for short -term gain.

31Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:51

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

If memory serves we signed Dzmaili on a pre-contract in the January window. Shortly after this he picked up a long term injury before actually joining us. When he started to reach full fitness didn't show much in the few games he played at first team and reserve level. Probably tapped up (by the Italians) but complained early on he wasn't happy and wanted to leave. Suspect he was released because of an attitude problem, maybe not going down well in the dressing room. We signed him on a free and don't remember getting a fee for him.
Sure he has done well since moving to Italy but did not show this beforehand and we certainly did not see this coming. Fore sight is a wonderful thing!

32Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:14

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Read elsewhere we got a million for Dzmaili. That one bye-passed me!

33Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:44

You've pretty much summed up the impatient attitude which cost us Barry, I don't remember hearing or reading anything about an attitude problem with him. He just wasn't given the chance because Megson had no idea who he was.

He had shown plenty of potential before we signed him, captain of Swiss U21's and his club team; who he'd made over 100 appearances for before he turned 20, Allardyce was excited about him. He was only given one cup game as a substitute before we loaned him to Torino and sold him the season after, a real waste of a talent from our perspective.

34Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You have to question the backroom staff at the club, it's their job to bring young players through.

I still can't believe we haven't given Dario Gradi a position.

35Bolton's current situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Bolton's current situation Sat Sep 07 2013, 15:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:You have to question the backroom staff at the club, it's their job to bring young players through.

That was one of the things I thought was positive when ever so briefly it looked like the Dream Team were going to be given a shot - they knew the youngsters and were probably more likely to give them a shot. Dzemaili played plenty of times for the development squad and it was clear he has class.
The backroom staff can work their nads off with the youngsters, and make sure everyone knows how good they are but ultimately it's not their job to pick the first eleven.

If they train with the first team and the manager gets to see plenty of them, it's good news all round.
The first eleven are competing for their places, the youngsters develop more quickly and are pushing for a place plus it's easier to sort out the dross and replace them with others that have the potential rather than keep them for years for nothing or develop other clubs' kids on loan.

There's something about our club - perhaps some sort of status or elitism issue - that appears to stand in the way of the entire squad developing together and competing for places on an equal opportunity basis.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum