Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does Bogdan ever...?

+11
Keegan
Tigermin
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Norpig
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
Bolton Nuts
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:06

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I'm still wondering, does Adam Bogdan ever make a wonder save? You know, the kind of save you think is a certain goal and the keeper pulls the ball out of the air, or grows an extra inch on his fingers to tip it over when you least expect it?

Does he?

Every time I hear on the radio about a super amazing save from Bogdan, when I see the highlights, I am sort of disappointed. They seem like standard good saves to me. 

Does Boggers just do a pretty standard all round job or does he also pull off wonder saves that change results? One wonder save every couple of weeks can give your team an extra few points per month. Does he give us that?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bogdan's performances are reflected in our table position. Not insinuating he is responsible for that but in my opinion is average at best. He has a crap defence in front of him and I would guess his arse is twitching for 90 minutes every game. His supposedly great saves are what you would expect from any half decent keeper.
It doesn't help him raise expectation in the fans with the lack of clean sheets. To some extent I feel a bit sorry for the lad having to clean up after the donkeys and usually to no avail!!

3Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think confidence is a big deal with Boggers - and right now his confidence is shot to pieces. He's a decent goalie though and if we can produce a bit of composure around and in front of him he'll be fine.

4Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i do feel a bit sorry for Bogdan having to play in front of a crap defence week in week out must be hard. I genuinely think he is a decent keeper and will only get better, remember when Jussi first came in to the team? The same things were said about him as well and he turned into a great keeper.
The one thing he does need to work on though is his distribution, that is shocking!

5Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:58

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
The one thing he does need to work on though is his distribution, that is shocking!
Quite right Norpig. Boggy is a decent shot stopper but I'd like to see him rolling the ball out more instead of just hoofing it into the stands.

6Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 11:11

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm certainly not a Bogdan fan but he's certainly made some wonderful saves in games.

The trouble is - and why I don't rate him - is the next moment he will drop a ball, or push a shot out in to the on coming forwards, rather than push it to safety behind.

The defence is bad enough itself without having the concern of a dodgy keeper behind it. As a defender myself in my playing days, I know first hand that you HAVE to play differently with an unreliable keeper behind you.

For instance you generally try to 'show' the attacker the outside and make it more difficult for him to come inside and shoot. If your keeper is one that tends to push the ball back out into play, you tend to over compensate to doubly secure the inside and perhaps make it easier for the attacker to get a step on you as they go outside and maybe get that cross in that otherwise you probably would have blocked.

With a keeper you trust you can defend better.

I've learned over the years that it is better to have a less talented keeper who is consistently reliable than one who makes a wonder save one minute and gifts their team a goal the next.

We've been spoiled for keepers at Bolton over the years - Jussi WAS a good one until the last few years when he went down on his knees for every bloody thing - Bogdan isn't the same standard yet and won't be whilst he continues to make basic goal keeping errors - imo.

7Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 11:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

there aren't many keepers better than him in the championship. He does make nervy mistakes though, he needs to introduce some consistent performances and build confidence.

Easier said than done when you have Bill & Ben infront of you.

8Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 11:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He made two terrific saves to keep us in the match at Blackburn before it went south.

9Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 12:04

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Since the Burnley game on the first game of the season he seems to have been a bit more composed, fans near me were somehow blaming the kid for the 2 goals on Tuesday night, he had no chance with them IMO.

Having to play behind our back 4 can do nothing for confidence though.

10Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 12:32

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A save is a save.

if it stays out of the goal.

a "wonder save" doesn't get you any more than a normal one.

It's kinda like saying "does Messi score enough wonder goals?"

11Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 12:34

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipsters got a point lol

12Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Fri Sep 20 2013, 13:06

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

He is a very good goalkeeper,far better than Al Habsi,his distribution is poor especially goal kicks but to do the same thing over and over again must be an order from the bench ?

13Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 00:51

Bolton Nuts

Admin

That's utter rubbish hipster and you know it. If there are 10 shots at our keeper and he pulls off 9 standard saves because those shots were average then the 10th save could be vital. If the tenth shot looks like a dead cert for a goal and you think "that's going in" and your keeper pulls off a wonder save and prevents the goal then that wonder save has potentially earned your team an extra point.

And that's what im saying about bogdan. He will save the 9 average shots but never pulls off a match winner in my opinion. Even the ones people point to as great saves tend to be shots you would be disappointed if you saw them beat your goalie.

14Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 00:56

Bolton Nuts

Admin

And Tuesday was a prime example. Whilst you can't blame bogdan for the goals, what you can suggest is that they are exactly the sort of goals I am on about. Yes you don't expect your keeper will save them, as in they were not goalkeeper errors, but you hope that once in a while he will pull a bit extra out of the bag.
On an inspired day jussi might have saved one or both of those and we would have walked away with 3 points.
When does bogs have one of those special games?

15Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 01:10

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Generally, the more 'wonder' things you do increases the general perception that people have of your ability. It also increases the confidence of people around you and gives the opposition that much more to think about.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 11:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:That's utter rubbish hipster and you know it. If there are 10 shots at our keeper and he pulls off 9 standard saves because those shots were average then the 10th save could be vital. If the tenth shot looks like a dead cert for a goal and you think "that's going in" and your keeper pulls off a wonder save and prevents the goal then that wonder save has potentially earned your team an extra point.

And that's what im saying about bogdan. He will save the 9 average shots but never pulls off a match winner in my opinion. Even the ones people point to as great saves tend to be shots you would be disappointed if you saw them beat your goalie.
It isn't "utter rubbish." Sorry.

all the 9 saves have potentially earned you a point, just as the tenth one did.

17Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 12:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Keegan wrote:Generally, the more 'wonder' things you do increases the general perception that people have of your ability. It also increases the confidence of people around you and gives the opposition that much more to think about.
That may be the case for some at a pub league level but when you get to a standard where teams are scouted then things are viewed differently.

If a keeper is noted for fumbling catches and parrying the ball back into play rather than holding it or pushing it behind, then you play to put the ball in high (rather than along the ground) and shoot on sight (rather than building for the killer pass) with forwards running in for the spilled catch or the push out in to dangerous areas.

It's the keepers weaknesses that defines him - not the occasional wonder save he might pull off

18Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:18

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If the other ten were anywhere near as good as Boggy we wouldn't be bottom of the table.

19Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:35

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:A save is a save.

if it stays out of the goal.

a "wonder save" doesn't get you any more than a normal one.

It's kinda like saying "does Messi score enough wonder goals?"

The quality of a save or goal tells you about the quality of the player. If a striker made his debut, found himself in the right place at the right time, and finished off a chance I could have put away myself, the rewards would be no different to if he'd took it past five players before hitting it past the keeper, but we'd go away with more reason to think he could be the difference come the end of the season. It's the same with keepers.

I'm not sure what I think of Bogdan. He's surprised me with two or three saves this season, I must admit. My biggest criticism concerns when he has the ball. I want to see a keeper that can play a quick ball when need be. Bogdan gets the ball and is very slow and indecisive.

20Does Bogdan ever...? Empty Re: Does Bogdan ever...? Sat Sep 21 2013, 13:42

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

that was always a criticism of Van Nistelrooy.

"yeah he's scored 32 goals but none from outside the box!"

I guess he wasn't "quality"

All i want from Bogdan is to keep the ball out of the net within reason, this seems to me to be a playground discussion tbh.

My honest opinion is that Bogdan is a decent keeper, nothing more than that, prone to the odd error and still learning. I don't think there's much upside at all but i might be wrong.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum