Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom Youngs - Striker pens first professional contract

+4
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
JAH
karlypants
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tom Youngs has signed his first professional contract, penning a two-year deal with the club.

The academy graduate made his first team debut in Bolton's Capital One Cup tie at Tranmere Rovers earlier this season, appearing as an extra time substitute.

And London-born Youngs, aged 19, has now officially signed professional terms.

"I'm a firm believer in working with younger players from our academy," Freedman said. "Tom is a player we have high hopes for if he can continue his progress."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Like he's going to get a chance in our 1st 11! I think its a myth that DF plays youth players. He tries youth out in non-important games and then never plays them again! Hall and Odelusi don't get a look at the moment, neither does Gregus!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:"I'm a firm believer in working with younger players from our academy," Freedman said. "Just this week he helped me lay a new patio for the missus, and the week before that Hall & Gregus gave a sponge bath to my 97 year old mother."

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

"I'm a firm believer in working with younger players from our academy," Freedman said. "

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
::wtf:: 

is he?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's a distinction between working with them and picking them to play.
Maybe there'll be an influx of youngsters into the first team when we get relegated?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Even though I'd like to see more youngsters given some responsibility, we've seen more academy players in and around the squad than we ever did under Coyle. 

the fact of the matter is expectations dictate that he won't be able to flood the team with young players. If they came in and stunk it up, a very distinct possibility, the fans would be absolutely all over him. 

I've only seen Gregus a couple of times, seems a tidy player but is he better than Spearing? Is Odelusi better than Beckford. They might have more upside but the expectation is win now not later so the youth argument is by the by.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Which youth argument?
I think that all squad players regardless of age should be competing for a place in the first team.
Some of the senior players are struggling for form so the question is whether Dougie doesn't give certain youngsters a shot because of the fact that they are young or because they're not good enough?
If it's simply because they're young then I have a problem with Dougie's attitude.
If it's because they're not good enough then I'd question why they are in the squad - and the only acceptable answer to that question would be "they will be good enough soon".
And if Dougie suggests that the youngsters will be good enough soon, the only remaining question is "when"?

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Even though I'd like to see more youngsters given some responsibility, we've seen more academy players in and around the squad than we ever did under Coyle. 
Name names

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

"I'm a firm believer in working with younger players from our academy,"
:bullshit:

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Which youth argument?
I think that all squad players regardless of age should be competing for a place in the first team.
Some of the senior players are struggling for form so the question is whether Dougie doesn't give certain youngsters a shot because of the fact that they are young or because they're not good enough?
If it's simply because they're young then I have a problem with Dougie's attitude.
If it's because they're not good enough then I'd question why they are in the squad - and the only acceptable answer to that question would be "they will be good enough soon".
And if Dougie suggests that the youngsters will be good enough soon, the only remaining question is "when"?
well there's only two reasons for putting a youth player in the team.

they're ready to go now I.E make an impact and are a significant upgrade on a player you already have.

or there's some upside that might be realised quicker with a spell in the first team, with, probably some growing pains.

I think It's fair to say the youth players we have fall into the second bracket, and with fan and board expectation the way it is, i don't see an influx of youth players who would need to develop under the lights so to speak.

kennster wrote:
Moron.

He changed the set up of the squad as soon as he arrived, appointing a Head of Development in Jamie Fullarton, and mixing in the best development players with the first team squad. May sound simple but it wasn't happening before.

He's also done what no previous BWFC manager has done in my memory and poach some of our rivals best youth. Wilkinson, Hall and White sound like 3 of our best young players now and time will tell but they could well be big players for us in the future.

The guy needs more than a year to bring youth players through, particularly as he commented that our development side were poor when he first arrived. Hall's knocking on the door, I'd expect 3 or 4 (Bolger, White, Wilkinson, Gregus) being closer to the squad next year.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
kennster wrote:
Moron.

He changed the set up of the squad as soon as he arrived, appointing a Head of Development in Jamie Fullarton, and mixing in the best development players with the first team squad. May sound simple but it wasn't happening before.

He's also done what no previous BWFC manager has done in my memory and poach some of our rivals best youth. Wilkinson, Hall and White sound like 3 of our best young players now and time will tell but they could well be big players for us in the future.

The guy needs more than a year to bring youth players through, particularly as he commented that our development side were poor when he first arrived. Hall's knocking on the door, I'd expect 3 or 4 (Bolger, White, Wilkinson, Gregus) being closer to the squad next year.
:agree: 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Dougie can bring through 4 or 5 young players in the next year or so it will be a massive achievement seeing as we've only had a handful of home grown players over the last ten years.
That has to be a key element of the plan in our financial position. Even if they are just Championship standard players it will be a very good thing as we can't get ourselves back on track by constantly buying - the players we can afford are never likely to set the world on fire.
If we can save money by bringing our own through we may eventually rebuild the type of financial platform that Allardyce inherited which will allow us to push on from there.
There are some obvious barriers to making it work:
1. The fans continue to expect success beyond our abilities whilst we're rebuilding and our weak board acquiesces to calls for Dougie's head before the plan comes to fruition
2. The stopgap players we have currently get us relegated which would make attracting the next generation of young players a much harder proposition
There are lots of other things that could go wrong, but in principle it's the right idea IMO especially as home grown talent tends to be more committed to the club, especially if they're given chances to impress, plus they grow up together and have a better understanding of each other's game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum