Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burnden Memories???

+19
gloswhite
Alf Hooker
Sluffy
CAMPO
Soul Kitchen
wanderlust
White84
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
rammywhite
JAH
Culcheth_White
wessy
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
JohannesburgWanderer
Natasha Whittam
Hip Priest
Banks of the Croal
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 11:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes Gowling played for us - up front with Frank Worthington

Happy days!

32Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember Gareth Williams? He had a sports shop on Little Hulton shopping centre,though it didn't last long. I always remember him as a great passer of the ball,but,by today's standards a bit on the chunky side. Good player though.

33Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:02

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Yes Gowling played for us - up front with Frank Worthington

Happy days!
Thanks sluffy and trotter; I was sure I remembered the name as one of ours. Ian Greaves was the manager at the time and we went up to Div 1 thanks to a superb strike from Frank against Blackburn. God, was it really thirty plus years ago? I feel very old.affraid

34Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The name rings a bell but he was before my time. There was a former Wanderer who ran a paper shop in the town centre for a number of years. Ray Parry?

35Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Christ I feel old. Saw Ray parry play. Mind you I was only about 6.

36Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember Gareth Williams? He had a sports shop on Little Hulton shopping centre,though it didn't last long. I always remember him as a great passer of the ball,but,by today's standards a bit on the chunky side. Good player though.
Yes I remember Williams.

I think we had just sold Franny Lee and with the money brought in Gareth and Terry Wharton.

Should have kept Lee.

Ridding out!

37Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember Terry Wharton well,a Bolton born lad. They were happy days. Think the great Charlie Hurley played for us round about then too.

38Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Slightly afterwards.

Jimmy Armfield brought him in along with three lads from Blackpool one of them being Peter Nicholson. Then Peter Thompson and Tony Dunne.

Hurley was a great player but his best days had gone by the time we got him.

Not the case with Thompson and Dunne though - great, great players for us.

39Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 13:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember Rudge Breadman. Piss poor,though I remember him scoring in an 8-1 stuffing of Walsall. Think we were in the old 3rd division at the time.

40Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 13:26

boltonbonce wrote:I remember Rudge Breadman. Piss poor,though I remember him scoring in an 8-1 stuffing of Walsall. Think we were in the old 3rd division at the time.
Wrong thread....? Very Happy

41Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 11:32

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

Sluffy wrote:Slightly afterwards.  

Jimmy Armfield brought him in along with three lads from Blackpool one of them being Peter Nicholson.  Then Peter Thompson and Tony Dunne.

Hurley was a great player but his best days had gone by the time we got him.

Not the case with Thompson and Dunne though - great, great players for us.
Tony Dunne was the best left back I've ever seen play for us - even better than Cowdrill!! - I don't give a fuck he was ex-united - he was class.

42Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 11:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Remember Terry Wharton well,a Bolton born lad. They were happy days. Think the great Charlie Hurley played for us round about then too.
Sorry I've just checked - Hurley was signed just before Armfield came - so you were bob on and it was me who was slightly out.

43Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 11:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well researched Sluffy,thought it was about then.

44Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 11:53

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My clearest memories, oddly enough were my first game in 1962, at the age of 12, a night match against West Ham. We won, (I had to check the score some years later). Memories not from the game so much as the atmosphere, the optimism, floodlights, the smells and sounds of the stadium, (next to a bar selling beer and pies), the cloud from all the smokers, the size of the crowd, but also the comments and 'advice' from the supporters, usually good natured, and very little swearing that I can remember.
A few years later there was one incident that was both good and bad, when we had a black linesman. After a short while, as he ran past, a group of fans they shouted, 'Trigger, trigger, trigger, shoot that Ni..er'. As he ran back, they started to shout it again, and he actually waved to them, and smiled. They loved his response, and cheered his every move from there on. Strange but true.

45Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 12:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember being in the paddock,can't remember the year,and we were stood near an old lady of about 70 who seemed to be happily angrossed in the game,which I think was against Rotherham.She'd said nothing until about 60 minutes in when Rotherham sent on a black substitute. At which point she bellowed "Get back on the jam jar yer black bastard". She said nothing else for the rest of the game but I've never forgotten it.

46Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sat Nov 09 2013, 22:34

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

CAMPO wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
rammywhite wrote:You're right. The game was abandoned at half time Every other game was abandoned before the start.
The referee was called Trelford Mills- I remember that as I thought it was a gormless name.
The guy who ran the line that day ended up working for Ramsbottom Kitchen Co.- he fitted our kitchen.
He told me that the Police asked for the game to be started then abandoned as if it was abandoned before the kick off  (and broadcast on radio) all the Everton fans would do U-turns on the East Lancs road and cause even more chaos.
Therefore they started knowing full well that the game would finish at half time.
And Reid ,knowing this, still broke his leg.
I don't know whether to believe the guy or not. But he was a damn good plumber
I think Reidy did his knee. It was a bad injury because he was out for nearly twelve months and we lost our most creative midfield player. They wouldn't play matches in those conditions nowadays.
Worst game (30 minutes approximately) of my life that one. I was 20 minutes late getting in due to the snow so watched Reid collide with Woods, missed our goal (Worthy?) saw their goal which came about because a back pass stuck in the snow (Bob Latchford maybe?), and then it was abandoned at half time so nobody got their money back.
I think we played in red strips which went down like a lead balloon but at least you could just about make out the players in a snow storm.
The game was in '79 and we ended selling Reid to Everton for a cut-down price of £60k in '82 which was set so low because of the injuries he had. The irony.
That's right wanderlust, Arsenal, I think, offered £600,000 for Reidy just before that injury and then he went for £60,000 after the knee ligament damage, still went on to play for Everton and England!! BWFC robbed again, all though he coud'nt bring down Marradonna in that World Cup game.
Could'nt get up the hill in Darcy Lever in our car after the game, was it Boxing Day or New Years Day?
Does anyone remember the big black dog that ran onto the pitch wantin a game, none of the players could catch it so Frank Worthy left the pitch then came back on with a lead, got down on one knee, the dog came to him and he walked it off, brilliant, the crowd started singin, 'we all agree, the dog is better that Latchford', haha, you couldn't write it, then throwin snow balls at George Wood singin, 'you'll never play for Scotland', haha, happy days!!!!!!

47Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sun Nov 10 2013, 02:16

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I remember Gareth Williams. Chunky blonde right half( christ,right half (no.4),just how ancient am I.)Does anybody else remember the home league game v Blackburn where the ref blew the final whistle after 85 mins. The crowd and the players knew it was a cock up and eventually the players re-emerged from the tunnel and resumed play for the last 5 mins. Gareth Williams struck the winner with a screamer of a free kick into the top corner in the last minute. Happy days.

48Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sun Nov 10 2013, 12:16

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Remember Terry Wharton well,a Bolton born lad. They were happy days. Think the great Charlie Hurley played for us round about then too.
Sorry I've just checked - Hurley was signed just before Armfield came - so you were bob on and it was me who was slightly out.
Indeed Hurley signed pre Armfield and also left before his arrival. Armfield's central defenders in the 3rd division days were usually John Hulme, Paul Jones and Warwick Rimmer. The 3 Blackpool players to arrive with Armfield were Peter Nicholson, Henry Mowbray and Graham Rowe.

49Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:30

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

50Burnden Memories??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:31

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum