Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough

+18
boltonbonce
Angry Dad
rammywhite
Whitesince63
gloswhite
scottjames30
Tigermin
Boggersbelief
karlypants
wessy
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
Triumph
Reebok Trotter
Norpig
Jack Russell
doffcocker
BoltonTillIDie
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

61Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 04:20

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

In fairness to Dougie, people forget it took a while for things to come together last season. I for one never imagined we'd go on the run that we did, because everything prior to that had been dire.

But again, it was only when he said to hell with the nonsense formations that things started to come together nicely.

I don't get all this bollocks that Coyle left behind some sort of Sunday League team. The best one I keep hearing is that the squad's not up to it because we don't have wingers that track back. How many wingers do you know that are scrapping for the ball in their own half one minute then tearing new arseholes at the other end the next. It's a very difficult balance to find in players and we're by no means the only club still in search of such creatures. Is it even a fair statement in the first place? I think of Lee as quite a deep winger, and Eagles was constantly running back to support Baptiste yesterday.

So to sum up, Freedman took over a squad that had a lot to be worked with. He's got rid of some deadwood and added a lot of quality to the mix himself, yet we're not in a better position than when he took over, which leads me to think the key is in the style of play as well as the mentality of the players.

62Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 08:41

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

A lot of people harp on about the 'run' we went on last season, IMO we played well in perhaps 2 games, the fooball in most was very poor and the result could have gone either way, we were battered at home by teams fighting relegation such as Huddersfield and Peterbrough, this idea of fantasic run is very hollow ????

63Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 09:56

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Did all you Ngog haters Boo when he scored? no I dont think so. He is simply one of 4 strikers we have who struggles with our tactics, Mason is no better.

64Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 11:11

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Breadman wrote:
Biggie wrote:I saw more positives again today. The master plan is coming together. Far from perfect but its the best Bolton side I have seen in a good few years.
I know that will sound like silly talk to many and I understand why, but I have confidence that given a couple more months I will be proved right.

Tell everybody that you're not me and it was all a big joke for fucks' sake because, whilst I thank you for your kind comments the other day, you appraisal of the team's performance today is simply bollocks. And I want to distance myself from it.

And I don't want people thinking that I'm you, because I work very hard at being me on the interweb and I don't want all that hard work going to waste.

Cheers.

I would like to thank you for your comments but for legal reasons I am unable to discuss the matter further in a public forum. You can contact me, however, by PM to try to resolve the issue.

Very Happy

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

65Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 11:16

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman is Biggie.

66Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 11:23

Bolton Nuts

Admin

When I said "best Bolton side I have seen in a few years" - I didn't mean specifically the Middlesbrough performance. I am thinking more under the surface. I believe that the foundations of a successful team are in place more than they were under Megson, Lee or Coyle.

It can be frustrating to watch at times and difficult to support all of the managers decisions - especially the ones which go against the grain but over all, in the end, I think we will come out fighting and technically better than we have seen in a long time.

67Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 11:24

Bolton Nuts

Admin

scottjames30 wrote:Breadman is Biggie.
Keep out of it scottjames30. Thank you.

68Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 12:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough

IN BRIEF

David Ngog's last gasp strike ensured that Wanderers secured a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough at the Reebok Stadium.

A testing clash for all involved, Boro had raced into a two goal lead inside the opening 20 minutes after capitalising on mistakes in the Bolton backline.

Alex Baptiste had given the team hope after halving the deficit with 30 minutes played, but the Whites were to pull level in dramatic fashion as Ngog fired home with ten seconds of normal time remaining.

TEAM NEWS

Dougie Freedman made four changes from the side which were defeated at Leicester last time out, with Joe Mason, Chris Eagles, Darren Pratley and Mark Davies all entering the fray in place of Jermaine Beckford, Rob Hall, Medo and Andre Moritz.

Wanderers’ bench also featured Hayden White for the second game in a row with the Under 21 full-back having been included in the squad for the trip to the King Power Stadium.

FIRST HALF

Wanderers started brightly as Eagles and Davies combined well inside the first minute, with the former’s lethal ball across the face of goal being cleared away for a corner with a number of white shirts lurking in the box.

Their dominance continued throughout the opening stages of the clash, with Jay Spearing slicing his shot wide while Mason proved himself a nuisance in and around the penalty area.

Having found themselves under pressure early on, Boro almost stunned the Reebok as Mustapha Carayol found himself in acres of space a matter of yards from goal, but Zat Knight was on hand to block his shot from close range.

The opportunity appeared to breathe life into the visitors, with Carayol capitalising on a mistake by Knight to curl the ball beyond Andy Lonergan with nine minutes gone.

A shock to the system after such a dominant start, Wanderers were almost level just three minutes later as Mason laid the ball off for Eagles on the edge of the area, but the winger’s volley drifted just wide of the upright.

With Wanderers having come so close to levelling the scores, the Reebok faithful were stunned into silence with 20 minutes played as a mix-up between Knight and Lonergan resulted in Curtis Main being given the simple task of slotting the ball into an empty net.

The frustration on the faces of the Bolton players was clear to see, with Middlesbrough undeniably on top in the clash and their two goal advantage looking incredibly comfortable.

Against the run of play however, Wanderers were handed a lifeline on the half hour mark as Alex Baptiste halved the deficit by curling the ball past a despairing Shay Given in the Boro goal.

A goal which was desperately needed after such a testing start, the Whites almost drew level two minutes later as Chung-Yong Lee played the ball into the area, but Mason just couldn’t make the contact needed.

With Boro visibly shaken, Wanderers looked set to equalise as Lee capitalised on a mistake at the back to break into the area before pulling the ball back for the advancing Spearing, but the midfielder’s effort was well over the bar.

As the half wore on, the Whites enjoyed a couple more half chances to level the scores but their efforts were in vain as they entered the break behind in the clash.

HALF TIME

After ending the first period on top, the second half began in rather lacklustre fashion, with Baptiste’s treatment for a knock inside the opening minutes halting Bolton’s flow.

With chances at a premium, Mason looked to have found the back of the net in the 56th minute as he found himself in space on the right, but the striker’s effort flew into the side netting with many inside the Reebok already on their feet in celebration.

With that opportunity, the noise level rose amongst the home faithful, while Spearing forced Given into a superb reflex save to deny him what would have been an unbelievable goal.

Wanderers were undeniably in control of proceedings, with Boro finding themselves forced deep into their own half in a bid to maintain their lead.

The introduction of Beckford and Moritz with 65 minutes gone was met with rapturous applause by the club’s supporters, but Wanderers’ comeback was almost dealt a blow moments later as Main headed the ball onto Knight who saw it trickle just wide of the post.

Jacob Butterfield, a former Bolton loanee, almost had Boro’s third as he fired goalbound, but the ball flew past the upright much to Wanderers’ relief.

With the rain pouring down at BL6, conditions were certainly becoming difficult to play in with the wind playing its part in proceedings.

Wanderers were left screaming for a penalty as Lee was brought down in the area with 13 minutes to go, but referee Christopher Sarginson was unmoved and waved play on.

The pressure from the Whites was building as the clock ran down, with Moritz forcing Given into a smart save and Beckford skewing an effort horribly wide on the half volley with five minutes remaining.

Just as it seemed as though it wasn't going to be Bolton's afternoon however, substitute David Ngog smashed the ball home through a crowded penalty area with ten seconds of normal time remaining to send the Reebok into raptures and secure Wanderers a point.

FULL TIME

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

69Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 12:40

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Manager - A spirited fight back

Having seen his side fight back from two goals down to secure a point in dramatic fashion against Middlesbrough, Dougie Freedman says he was proud of the character and determination shown by his players.

With David Ngog’s 90th minute strike earned Wanderers a share of the spoils against Aitor Karanka’s side, and the manager explained that the point was the least that his team deserved given their efforts during the course of the match.

“We’re disappointed to have given them a two goal start, but the moment that their second went in, I felt we were the better team,” he said following the final whistle. “I felt that we had enough chances to not only draw but win the game - it was a fantastic fight back with great character shown.

“We look back on the game and we’re disappointed because we’ve had enough chances to win, but if you gift a team two goals then you’re going to find it difficult to win.”

The equalising goal came just 12 minutes after the introduction of Ngog, and Freedman later added that the influence his substitutes proved crucial in helping Wanderers secure a point.

“I’ve got to give credit to the substitutes as they made all the difference and played a huge part in getting us the draw.

“When it got to about the 65th minute, I felt as though the game had fallen a little bit flat and the energy levels were low because we’ve had so many games in quick succession.

“You can’t point the finger at this group of players’ spirit and character because that was there in abundance today.

“They’ve had a tough time over the past three or four weeks in terms of certain things going against them, but the character shown today in terms of fighting for each other was very pleasing.

“This league is crazy. You play a lot of games in a very short period of time and you need to make sure that you’re very well-conditioned, but for us it is so far so good and we’re looking forward to the game against Blackpool on Saturday.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

70Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 13:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:I saw more positives again today. The master plan is coming together. Far from perfect but its the best Bolton side I have seen in a good few years.
I know that will sound like silly talk to many and I understand why, but I have confidence that given a couple more months I will be proved right.

the best Bolton side in the last few years!   affraid  time for a lie down Biggie i think

71Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough - Page 4 Empty Re: Bolton 2-2 Middlesbrough Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:31

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum