Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super John

+6
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
Norpig
Hip Priest
BoltonTillIDie
Reebok Trotter
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Super John Empty Super John Sun Feb 09 2014, 22:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last night I attended the seventeenth annual Sportsman's Evening dinner held by Lancaster Whites at the University of Cumbria. The guest for the night was Super John himself who arrived unaccompanied at 8pm.

The Chairman of Lancaster Whites opened the proceedings by explaining that on the 22nd March 1997, seven Wanderers fans from Lancaster hired a mini-bus and drove down to Norwich to watch Wanderers beat the Canaries 1-0. And of those original seven founder members, one had passed away and three were present tonight, including the Chairman himself. He gave a brief history of Lancaster Whites and remarked how the magnificent seven eventually grew into over one hundred members and how every year they had held an evening where an invited former player was invited as a guest to ' do the honours.'

Last year it was Fabrice Muamba and the year before it was Johnny Byrom and this year the audience were really looking forward to hearing what Super John had to say.

A Q&A session was scheduled for after the meal where each table could write down questions for John to answer and when the meal was finished John was handed the microphone, and he was absolutely brilliant.

He started off by saying that he was really pleased to see that Lancaster Whites was in its seventeenth year but he was extremely disappointed that he never been invited before!

I took a pen and paper and was furiously scribing throughout his responses to the questions. Some of his replies were very emotional. You could tell he was still deeply passionate about Bolton and he spoke for well over forty five minutes on all matters Wanderers. He stayed afterwards and posed for photos and signed autographs. Normally after the meal the guest speaker says his farewell and leaves but at quarter past midnight he was still there chatting to fans and he only drank water all night!

I'm going to a funeral tomorrow but hopefully on Tuesday I will be able to report on the Q&A session.

There were some good questions and to be fair to him he didn't pull any punches. I don't know who Lancaster Whites are inviting next year but all I can say is that Super John will be a very hard act to follow.

Two words sum up John McGinlay... Class Act.

2Super John Empty Re: Super John Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:51

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Look forward to hearing your report Smile  My fave player...ever

3Super John Empty Re: Super John Mon Feb 10 2014, 00:26

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Good stuff RT. Really looking forward to hearing what SuperJohn has to say.

4Super John Empty Re: Super John Mon Feb 10 2014, 08:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

he needs to be involved with the club on some level, surely with his background in America he could do a job with the Academy?

5Super John Empty Re: Super John Mon Feb 10 2014, 09:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wasn't he Chief Scout at some point in time?

6Super John Empty Re: Super John Mon Feb 10 2014, 10:01

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

He was chief scout at Wigan, not sure if Rosler has told him to do one though.

He had a role at the club under coyle but the day after he was hired Coyle got the boot.

7Super John Empty Re: Super John Mon Feb 10 2014, 11:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:He was chief scout at Wigan, not sure if Rosler has told him to do one though.

He had a role at the club under coyle but the day after he was hired Coyle got the boot.
One thing about the Coyle era was that in a world where all the young talent is snaffled up by the big boys, we briefly had an opportunity to raid the MLS for the likes of Holden and Ream. You'd think that with SJM having played in the MLS there may still be an opportunity as he must have some contacts still and with the support of Stuey we could still find the odd bargain, even if it's just for the development squad.

8Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 10:59

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The questions are in the order they were submitted.

Q: Do you think that Scotland will ever qualify for the World Cup Finals again? 

A: He replied that it wasn't going to be easy but Gordon Strachan was doing a decent job since he took over and although the chances were slim he did believe that they could qualify for the World Cup in the future.

Q: Do you think that Dougie Freedman is the right manager to take the club forward or is it time for a change of manager?

A: He responded by saying that he had been to a large number of games this season as well as working for Tower FM. He fully accepted that the financial situation was grim but that he was completely baffled by some of Dougies tactical decisions which he couldn't understand. He cited the Bournemouth game earlier in the day where at 2-1 up Mark Davies was substituted for Medo. He couldn't see the logic in bringing off an attack minded midfielder for a defensive midfielder just to shore up the game. In his view we should have gone on to try and score a third goal rather than try and hold out for 3 points. The fact that we were playing at home should have spurred us on for more goals rather than sitting back and inviting Bournemouth to come at us.

He then mentioned how Wolves  were relegated from the Championship last year when many people thought they were favourites for promotion and that our current position was no different. He had genuine concerns that if we ended up in a relegation dogfight with one only or two points in it,  whether the squad were up for the fight and whether Dougie's tactics would be enough. He ended up by saying that in his opinion it WAS time for a change.

Q: What are your views on MLS?

A: He responded by saying that he thought that there was an awful lot of untapped talent in America and having spent a number of years playing and coaching in the USA, there were some real quality youngsters who, with the right coaching, could make it in the UK. He stated that the facilities and stadiums were all state of the art and that football was really taking off. The biggest problem with American players is getting them to the UK because there is a lot of paperwork in relation to international permits, visas and rules and regulations which didn't apply to European players.

Q: What is your favourite goal that you ever scored for the Wanderers? ( This answer came as a surprise because we all thought  Liverpool or Wolves)

A: Without hesitation he responded by saying that the greatest goal for him personally was the very last goal at Burnden Park when we beat Charlton 4-1. He then went on to describe that very last match in great detail. How, before the game, he saw Sir Nat, Eddie Hopkinson and Roy Hartle walking around the pitch reminiscing about their own careers. How in the dressing room every player wanted to score a goal that night. How Gerry Taggart had a brand new pair of shiny red boots and was determined to score in them. How he was going to miss going down Manny Road on match days seeing the fans walking to the ground and the police on horseback and the hustle and bustle of match days. How the atmosphere in the dressing room was different to anything before. He then said he had played in many stadiums but Burnden Park was his favourite. It wasn't impressive to look at but once you got on that pitch with the cheering fans how there was nowhere better. How away teams hated coming to Burnden Park, how the away dressing room was the most soulless, miserable room you imagine. How the fans made all the difference when the team were playing well. How it would all be no more after that last game. How it was important to go out on a high and not lose.

TBC...

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Tue Feb 11 2014, 14:12; edited 2 times in total

9Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 12:22

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

stayed off for a while, been having a break from football. IM going tonight though.

just thought id say thanks trotter, cracking report.

10Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 12:48

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

RT excellent report, look forward to some more comments.
Super summed my thoughts up exactly on Satdy with Duggy's Mavies/Medo sub.
Couldn't be arsed going tonight after Satdy's match but the magnet must have been switched on last night!!

11Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 14:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apologies for the break but I had a dentist appointment at 11.15am for my four fillings! 

Cont: He then discussed the game itself. How the atmosphere in the ground at kick off was unbelievable. The Wanderers fans never stopped chanting and even though Charlton scored first and we were 1-0 down at half-time it mattered not. In the 2nd half Alan Thompson and Gerry Taggart ( in his red boots ) put us ahead. Wanderers then won a penalty which he took and scored but to him a penalty was never as good as scoring from open play so when he scored the fourth and final goal late on it was the icing on the cake and his own personal favourite above all others. To reach 100 goals and 100 points in a season was a remarkable achievement but nothing could take away the pride he felt in scoring the very last goal at his favourite ground.

He then went on to say how he thought flattening Burnden Park and relocating to Horwich had, in his opinion ripped the heart and lifeblood out of the town and business community. How he dearly wished they could have somehow built the new stadium on the same site close to the town centre and still retained that great match day atmosphere.  How years ago the fans would queue at Burnden Park for FA Cup tickets and the players would come out and bring them hot tea, whereas nowadays the fans wouldn't recognise half the current squad if they walked down the street in front of them. He ended by saying that the Reebok was an impressive building from outside but it lacked soul and atmosphere inside. It certainly was no match for the passion displayed at Burnden Park and the empty seats at the Reebok are testament to that.

Q: Who is the greatest player that you had the pleasure of playing with at Burnden Park? 

A: He replied that it was an impossible question to answer and he then reeled off the following names in no particular order, Keith Branagan, Jimmy Phillips, Per Frandsen, Michael Johansen, Alan Thompson, Owen Coyle, Gerry Taggart, Andy Walker, David Lee, Alan Stubbs, Jason McAteer, Chris Fairclough, Scott Sellars and Mixu. He said that having played with them all it was impossible to single out  one individual because they were so close collectively as a squad. Bruce Rioch had instilled a togetherness within the team with an  'all for one and one for all' mindset. Whatever the team did they all did it together. Whether it be a day at the races or a round of golf, and this bond carried itself onto the pitch. If he had to name one unsung hero then that person was Keith Branagan. In the play-offs against Reading and losing 2-0 with a penalty awarded to Reading, it would have been impossible to turn things round from a 3-0 deficit. Keith's save had massive ramifications because the team only went in 2-0 down at half time. At half-time Bruce made it clear that they could turn things round and they did. Owen Coyle, De Freitas and Mixu saved the day but it was Branagan that kept the dream alive.  

He then mentioned how when he and Keith Branagan were both signed from Millwall he knew he had a hard act to follow in the footsteps of David Reeves and Tony Philliskirk, who worked well together and scored goals. He said it was always a pleasure playing alongside Nathan Blake because they developed a telepathy together and played very well off one another. In one season they scored 54 goals between them and Nathan was his ideal partner up front.

Q: Bruce Rioch was a great manager at Bolton. What have you got to say about Bruce?

A: He replied that when he transferred from Millwall that Bruce used to frighten him. He always felt intimidated by Bruce and he said that if you were ever sat down or slouching about, you sat to attention as soon as he walked in the room. He had this aura and presence about him and he believed in discipline. He used to instil in young players how they were privileged to be professional footballers and that they must maintain high standards. Players were expected to be clean shaven and two and three day stubble would not be tolerated. You could have long hair but it had to be neat and tidy. The dress code was either a suit, smart trousers and collared shirt or A Bolton tracksuit. No jeans or T shirts. Bruce always drummed into them that they represented Bolton Wanderers 24 hours a day. Bruce was firm but fair and the players respected him. It was his work ethic that galvanised the team and made them what they were. He said he was sorry to see Bruce go to Arsenal but he didn't blame him because they are a massive club, but he often wonders how things would have turned out had Bruce stayed. 

He then went on to say that the problem with a lot of managers today is that they are too proud to pick up a phone and ask for help or advice. He said that Owen Coyle and Dougie could do a lot worse than picking up the phone and having a chat with Bruce and that if he was a manager the first person he would ring for advice would be Bruce. He then said that with the amount of managers in the modern game today it was crazy that someone with Bruce's knowledge wasn't managing somewhere. He ended by saying that he has spoken to Bruce a few times since their Bolton days but he cannot call him Bruce. He always calls him Boss and always will because he has nothing but the utmost respect for the man.

TBC

12Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 14:05

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Bring back bruce!

13Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 14:24

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm off to work now but I'll try and finish off tonight before our game against Burnley.

14Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 19:58

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Q: What are your recollections of your clash with David Kelly in the play-off semi-final with Wolves.

A: He said he recalled the incident very well indeed! There was a goalmouth scramble and both he and Kelly were totally committed. He flung out his left arm and Kelly went down fair and square. Kelly was lucky it wasn't his right arm which is much stronger. When he realised the ref was only 5 yards away he was convinced that he was going to receive a red card. All he could think of was that Bruce was going to sack him for getting sent off and letting the team down in a game of such magnitude. He grabbed Kelly's arm and pulled him to his feet and said to the ref that it hadn't been a bad game. When he saw the referee pull out the yellow card and issue it to himself and Kelly he couldn't believe it and he still can't to this day. He distinctly remember the boos and torrent of abuse from the Wolves fans and since that incident the Wolves fans always booed him and gave him stick but he had nothing against Kelly or the fans because that was football. It was such an important game for both teams and fair play to Kelly for getting up which is something that wouldn't happen nowadays.

Q Memories of playing Liverpool and knocking them out of the FA Cup.

A: Everything that could possibly be done to make Liverpool as uncomfortable as possible at Burnden Park was done. Des McBain had ordered the Groundsman to turn off the undersoil heating and when Graeme Souness arrived and went to look at the pitch it was frozen! Sounness complained but McBain explained that the undersoil heating had packed in on the Wednesday and the club had been unable to get it going again. Even though Liverpool were the reigning FA Cup holders, Bruce instilled confidence in the squad and they went onto the pitch as equals. The crowd went ballistic when we went 2-0 up but Liverpool pulled it back to 2-2 for a replay at Anfield.

He then recalled how as a kid he supported Celtic and Kenny Dalglish had been his sporting idol and when they went to Anfield for the replay nobody expected the team to beat Liverpool in their own back yard. He recalls how the team were all star struck at playing in such an iconic venue and how they were like kids in a sweet shop. He distinctly remembers touching the Anfield Kop sign in the tunnel imagining all the times when Kenny Dalglish had done the same. In the dressing room before the game Bruce had to put them all in line and remind them what they there for. His own personal recollection was wondering what he could pinch from the dressing room as a memento of the occasion. Even a coat hook would have sufficed! Both he and Andy Walker scored in the 2-0 win but for him personally, it was David Lee who stole the show. He said it was the best individual performance that he had ever witnessed by someone in a Bolton shirt. Lee ran his heart out that night and deserved all the plaudits. The team will never forget the 9,000 Wanderers who made that trip and the noise from the Bolton fans was incredible.

He then stressed how important it is to a team when they have the fans behind them in full voice. It makes the victory so much more pleasing for the team.

15Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Conclusion...

He touched on the current situation regarding our debt of over £165 million. He couldn't understand why Chairman Phil had stated that our only debt was a £15 million loan with Barclays Bank and the £150 million owed to Eddie Davies didn't count. In his own words, " A debt is a debt and at some stage it has to be repaid."

I have been to a number of similar evenings in the past but this one was something special because it was very personal and you knew what he was talking about because you had been there and had been privileged to have been part of the whole experience. If you ever get the opportunity to listen to him speak then I would highly recommend it. He is a very eloquent speaker and his passion for Wanderers shines through. I probably haven't done him justice because I had supped a few beers and I was trying to write as quickly as I could and capture all the bullet points.

16Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:23

Cheers RT.

I played for his shit pub team during the 94/95 Sunday League season (and we were shit but we initially got to play in the Bolton 1st team kit before switching to Mr McGinlay's beloved green and white hooped shirts) and he was a great bloke.

We all signed up in the pub when they advertised for a team and I can still remember the feeling of awe when he rang me up personally at my parent's house to ask me to come down for a training session.

Best twelve months of my life.

Saturday nights drinking in Bolton with him and Thommo and Sunday mornings losing 8-0 and laughing about it after.

He's got Bolton in his blood and should definitely be employed in some capacity.

(Once the current regime have been removed.)

17Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Cheers RT.

I played for his shit pub team during the 94/95 Sunday League season (and we were shit but we initially got to play in the Bolton 1st team kit before switching to Mr McGinlay's beloved green and white hooped shirts) and he was a great bloke.

We all signed up in the pub when they advertised for a team and I can still remember the feeling of awe when he rang me up personally at my parent's house to ask me to come down for a training session.

Best twelve months of my life.

Saturday nights drinking in Bolton with him and Thommo and Sunday mornings losing 8-0 and laughing about it after.

He's got Bolton in his blood and should definitely be employed in some capacity.

(Once the current regime have been removed.)

He did touch briefly on the time he bought Benjamin Topps as an investment but he said that Bruce advised him against running a pub, telling him that every time you are in there somebody will want to buy you a drink! And he was right!

18Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:34

Spot on.

I didn't buy a pint for twelve months because every pub we went in down Bradshawgate, there was a queue of blokes lining up to buy him one.

And he never refused and always passed them on.

He never, ever refused to sign autographs and always had time for the fans.

Alan Thompson, however, is a tight arse who smoked more of my fags that year than I did.

McGinlay got picked for his first Scottish cap during that period and went tee-total for a month before the game.

He framed the shirt and put it up in the pub.

Happy days.

19Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:49

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tbh Breadman, I couldn't write down everything he said because he was doing everything ad lib. He was pure quality. He was brilliant on Saturday night. He never had a drop of alcohol and was in very good shape for his age. He will be fifty this year but he can still wear a suit and look the part!

20Super John Empty Re: Super John Tue Feb 11 2014, 22:51

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am off to bed now but I took some photos which I will try to upload when I get the technical assistance I need to carry out such delicate matters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum