Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATED - U21's v Spurs -THE GOALS - VIDEO

+13
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
Whitesince63
wessy
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
Reebok_Rebel
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
JAH
Boggersbelief
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I was there at Birmingham when Nolan was roundly abused under Sammy Lee with a chant of "Get Nolan Off" under Sammy Lee because of his awful form from the previous season had continued. 

(under big sam)
Nobby had gone down the pan in the last couple of seasons he played for us so nobody complained too loudly when he moved on. 
Typically, he then rediscovered his form.
Taylor I'm so-so about. Sweet left foot but sloww[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't Spurs have a player sent if which obviously helped us with the come back?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

U21s: Spurs 2-5 Bolton

IN BRIEF

Georg Iliev hit a hat-trick as Wanderers’ under-21 side overcame a two goal deficit to run out 5-2 winners over ten-man Tottenham Hotspur on Monday afternoon.

The hosts had raced into an early lead courtesy of goals from Souleymane Coulibaly and Shaquile Coulthirst, but Tom Youngs and Chris Lester drew the Whites level in the second period.

Not satisfied with a point however, substitute Iliev hit a six minute treble inside the last 15 minutes of the game to secure all three points for Wanderers.

FIRST HALF

During the opening five minutes Bolton started the game with a good tempo, with Luke Woodland getting beyond his marker to head into Jordan Archer’s hands before Zach Clough ensured that Spurs keeper was on his guard with a well taken shot.

The early opportunities appeared to wake Spurs up and with ten minutes gone, Harry Kane enjoyed a mazy run but ultimately failed to test Jay Lynch in the Bolton goal.

Just a minute later however and the hosts appeared to have taken the lead through Coulthirst, but the winger was judged to be offside to Wanderers’ relief.

Hayden White was next up to cause problems in and around the Spurs area, with his low cross from the right flank on the quarter hour mark narrowly evading the advancing Bolton attack.

Settling into the game, Wanderers were dealt a blow a matter of minutes later as Lynch committed himself to a cross but unfortunately came off badly, with under-18 shot stopper Harry Campbell replacing him between the sticks.

Sadly for the youngster though, his first action was to pick the ball out of the net when a pinpoint Kenneth McEvoy corner found the head of Coulibaly who put the hosts in front against the run of play.          

Having broken the deadlock, Tottenham were now in the ascendancy and nearly doubled their lead as advancing defender Milos Veljkovic almost found the bottom corner with a swinging shot but his effort went wide.

Over the course of the next ten minutes, the Whites did enjoy opportunities on the break to pull a goal back with Woodland, Youngs and Sanmi Odelusi all squandering chances to equalise.

Wanderers’ inability to capitalise however left the door open for Spurs to extend their lead which they did so on the counter attack as Alex McQueen’s ball into the box met striker Coulthirst who made no mistake, finding the corner of the Bolton goal with a bullet of a header.

Rob Hall, a thorn in Spurs’ side throughout the afternoon, could have reduced the deficit from his neatly crafted powerful drive that had goalkeeper Archer beaten but unfortunately for the winger, the post was too and it went inches wide to ensure that the home side went into the break two to the good.

SECOND HALF

The second period, unlike the first, started slowly with Odelusi being the first to try his luck after a few step-overs to rile first teamer Danny Rose, but his effort went high over the bar.

Sandro Cordeiro, making his comeback from injury, had his afternoon ended prematurely after coming off second best in a challenge with Josh Vela, with Kane’s resulting free-kick failing to trouble Campbell.

Following a testing start to the half, it wasn’t until the hour mark that the first real opportunities would arise as Hall fired narrowly past the post with Archer beaten.

Under the watchful eye of each team’s respective first team managers, the game was about to be completely turned on its head as in the 67th minute as Hall broke away from the Spurs defence with defender Dominic Hall recklessly bringing down the winger and conceding a penalty in the process.

Things were to get worse for the youngster however, with the referee brandishing a red card to him as Youngs took on the responsibility of beating Archer and he did so coolly, sending the keeper the wrong way to halve the deficit.

Now dominating proceedings, Wanderers introduced Lester and Iliev into the mix – substitutes which would prove crucial inside the final 20 minutes of the clash.

With 15 minutes left, the changes made by Bolton reaped dividends as Andy Kellett found Lester who headed home past Archer to equalise for the Whites.

In the 79th minute, Tottenham’s problems went from bad to worse as the defence of their ten man side got into a tangle, with the watching faithful watching in awe as Iliev gambled and bundled the ball into the back of the net to hand Wanderers the lead.

The striker, who recently was awarded with a professional contract by the club, continued to flourish and moments later unleashed an audacious drive which flew past Archer, with the flat footed Spurs defence only able to stare in disbelief as the Bulgarian wheeled away to celebrate.

Three minutes later, Hall, the man who started the comeback by winning the penalty, beat his man and found the force and desire of Iliev, with their link up ensuring that the forward completed his hat-trick to send the Bolton bench into raptures and secure a memorable victory for the visitors.

Bolton: Lynch (Campbell), Threlkeld, Kellett, White, Bolger, Vela, Odelusi, Woodland, Clough (Lester), Youngs (Iliev), Hall

Tottenham: Archer, A McQueen, Rose (Stewart), Veljkovic, Ball, Fryers, McEvoy, Sandro (Lameiras), Coulibaly, Kane (McEneff), Coulthirst

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If Spurs a top half Premier League club can employ one of their own coaches as the first team manager why can't we. David Lee is doing a fantastic job. Maybe instead of JP and LSL let's see what David Lee can do. By all accounts the kids play an expansive passing and attacking game.

The stupid twat Gartside should take a look at what Cortese did at Southampton. Every age group at Southampton play in the same style from under 15's to the first 11. It makes it easy for kids transition to the first team sooner.

So what does Dougie 'Self-prophesied' developer of young talent do. He presides over a set up where our kids play in a style that the first team don't!

Question for every body. What youth has Dougie Freedman ever brought through? How long can he live off Wilfred Zaha who at the end if the day isn't that good!

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

JAH wrote:If Spurs a top half Premier League club can employ one of their own coaches as the first team manager why can't we. David Lee is doing a fantastic job. Maybe instead of JP and LSL let's see what David Lee can do. By all accounts the kids play an expansive passing and attacking game.

The stupid twat Gartside should take a look at what Cortese did at Southampton. Every age group at Southampton play in the same style from under 15's to the first 11. It makes it easy for kids transition to the first team sooner.

So what does Dougie 'Self-prophesied' developer of young talent do. He presides over a set up where our kids play in a style that the first team don't!

Question for every body. What youth has Dougie Freedman ever brought through? How long can he live off Wilfred Zaha who at the end if the day isn't that good!
If Zaha isn't that good God help us, i would say he is one hell of a talent.

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

After my post wessy that's the only bit you comment on? Why actually bother? I bet in a phone poll where the choices are yes, no and don't know, you call up to say I don't know! Pathetic!

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

For a start Freedman didn't develop Zaha he was just lucky that he took over with Wilf in the side, right place right time. Unfortunately due to this and one or two other fortuitous events he gets this totally unfounded reputation about developing youth which let's face it, he invented himself anyway. 

Also anybody notice that unlike Dougie who would have packed his defence David Lee put on Illiev who won the game with his hat trick. Are you watching Freedman you clown?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Il be honest, I wanted to mention Nolan and Taylor but it didnt fit in with the 'youth' thing this thread is rocking.

Id have both these back in a heartbeat though, told they were too shit to play for us, they are playing in the prem still and we are in the championship...

Both were sold at the right time - both had peaked at BWFC and were badly out of form. I think we got about £10m for the pair - good business.
I agree with Nat on this, in fact Nolan went to the barcodes and got sent off in his very first game for them against Birmingham with a horrible challenge. It was more than a year and a bit later that he rediscovered his form in the championship under Chris Hughton and has since looked like the player we all loved in his heyday here. Taylor looked slow at the end of his time and was getting slower week by week. The fact they both went on to do well later elsewhere is more likely down to the change of scenery rather than a change of manager. Here they were guaranteed a first team spot, didn't need to fight for a shirt. Elsewhere they had to get hungry again and that too will have fired them up somewhat.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Ok we're in the shit I get that, we're going nowhere fast with the financial restraints, I get that, what I don't get is, we have talented youth, who are doing the business against Premiership opposition, Wilkinson scoring for fun ( send him out on loan) Youngs scoring for fun, 19 years old and hungry, Clough a pacy striker, with goals in him, Eaves forget him let him go, Iliev hat-trick in 12 minutes, Kellett pacy left back, Lester also bagging regular, Odelusi who showed great form in the cup, and Youngs who is a free scoring striker, add to that Hall, Vela, and Holden, with White as well, why should'nt we be feeling confident for next season, one reason, and one reason only, Dougie deluded Freedman.

Fuck off with your I love to give youth a chance, if you did you would'nt have fucked about trying to get Mason, when we have better in the under 21s, and played Kellet instead of splitting up our best 2 central defenders, your bullshit is endless, please fuck off.

The man smacks of cowardice, any manager with confidence in himself would at least have the balls to go for it at home, and go 4-3-3, with 1 holdind mid, and 1 behind the front man, with full backs kicking on, but no the way Freedman sets up is so easy for the opposition, and so predictable.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:Ok we're in the shit I get that, we're going nowhere fast with the financial restraints, I get that, what I don't get is, we have talented youth, who are doing the business against Premiership opposition, Wilkinson scoring for fun ( send him out on loan) Youngs scoring for fun, 19 years old and hungry, Clough a pacy striker, with goals in him, Eaves forget him let him go, Iliev hat-trick in 12 minutes, Kellett pacy left back, Lester also bagging regular, Odelusi who showed great form in the cup, and Youngs who is a free scoring striker, add to that Hall, Vela, and Holden, with White as well, why should'nt we be feeling confident for next season, one reason, and one reason only, Dougie deluded Freedman.

Fuck off with your I love to give youth a chance, if you did you would'nt have fucked about trying to get Mason, when we have better in the under 21s, and played Kellet instead of splitting up our best 2 central defenders, your bullshit is endless, please fuck off.

The man smacks of cowardice, any manager with confidence in himself would at least have the balls to go for it at home, and go 4-3-3, with 1 holdind mid, and 1 behind the front man, with full backs kicking on, but no the way Freedman sets up is so easy for the opposition, and so predictable.
I can't agree more with this post!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:Ok we're in the shit I get that, we're going nowhere fast with the financial restraints, I get that, what I don't get is, we have talented youth, who are doing the business against Premiership opposition, Wilkinson scoring for fun ( send him out on loan) Youngs scoring for fun, 19 years old and hungry, Clough a pacy striker, with goals in him, Eaves forget him let him go, Iliev hat-trick in 12 minutes, Kellett pacy left back, Lester also bagging regular, Odelusi who showed great form in the cup, and Youngs who is a free scoring striker, add to that Hall, Vela, and Holden, with White as well, why should'nt we be feeling confident for next season, one reason, and one reason only, Dougie deluded Freedman.

Second that both of you

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting match report seeing as Dougie was at the game and saw first hand what effect bringing on attacking players can have - albeit helped by a red card. That's a great U21 team with most of our prospects playing some part.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is David Lee doing a "fantastic job?" the under 18's have been woeful this season and it's been a mixed bag for the Under 21's though they're doing alright, up and down.

people need to stop looking at individual results and decide the academy is brilliant.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Is David Lee doing a "fantastic job?" the under 18's have been woeful this season and it's been a mixed bag for the Under 21's though they're doing alright, up and down.

You're against him because he's English. Racist.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hardly, I've said I'd have thrown a few youngsters into the fire ready or not, so i get the frustration with the lack of youth

but It irks me when i see people saying we have a "brilliant" youth team and "futures bright" after they see one result.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Hardly, I've said I'd have thrown a few youngsters into the fire ready or not, so i get the frustration with the lack of youth

but It irks me when i see people saying we have a "brilliant" youth team and "futures bright" after they see one result.
Fair enough. Our U21s are 8th in the Barclays U21 Premier League and Spurs are 18th so we should be winning in principle. There are some good signs though e.g. we're a point ahead of Southampton whose youth academy is widely praised. It can only be expected that we're behind the likes of Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea as they get the pick of the crop, but we're at least competitive and it does show that there has to be a reasonable chance of producing first team players in the future which is exactly what we need seeing as we can't buy them.
The future has potential and no more than that but in times like this it's no bad thing to at least have some hope.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just like to add that we should be at least optimistic about the incredible turnaround of the form of the U18s since December: 
Pre-December: P 13 L 11 D 2 W 0
Since December: P 7 L 1 D 1 W 5

Something's going right with our youngsters. I guess the first team results are just making everyone impatient about getting more kids in the first team asap but it's a big step up and the management team are best positioned to decide if and when they're ready.
Remember it was Dougie who sacked 7 youth players and recruited their replacements - although every time he signs a prospect there's an outcry as to why he isn't buying first team ready players (as if we didn't already know the answer)

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Second that both of you

Third that all of you  :clap:

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Just like to add that we should be at least optimistic about the incredible turnaround of the form of the U18s since December: 
Pre-December: P 13 L 11 D 2 W 0
Since December: P 7 L 1 D 1 W 5

Something's going right with our youngsters. I guess the first team results are just making everyone impatient about getting more kids in the first team asap but it's a big step up and the management team are best positioned to decide if and when they're ready.
Remember it was Dougie who sacked 7 youth players and recruited their replacements - although every time he signs a prospect there's an outcry as to why he isn't buying first team ready players (as if we didn't already know the answer)

That's a very fair point lusty but whilst he may be good at spotting youth he seems incapable of managing them, or the rest for that matter. Maybe we should fire him as manager at which he's palpably failed and appoint him head scout??  Razz

CAMPO

CAMPO
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

What formation do the under 18's  and under 21's play?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum