Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The way we play now

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The way we play now Empty The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 10:48

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I thought we did ok in parts against Spurs.There were several positives to take from the game - and I don't just mean Pratley getting stretchered off.

I have noticed a marked shift in our approach to games and it will hopefully continue to improve. There are a lot of things need sorting before we are as good as we can be or want to be but I am impressed that our players seem to be being encouraged to use the ball well. We are passing to feet and retaining possession well at times. Granted it is often followed by Eagles or Knight then gifting the ball to the opposition but good signs are there nonetheless.

Spurs were very good on Tuesday and we can't deny that. But we also played a largely second string side which included Boyata, Knight, Alonso, Eagles, Pratley, Klasnic, Kavies, Tuncay, (and Reem out of position).

One thing we certainly lacked was a cutting edge. We didn't pressure them enough - but there seems to be a certain amount of promise in the way we have started to go about things. I am hoping we can build on that game and the recent Blackburn game from here on in.

My feeling is that we are trying to play more pleasing, more effective football. And my expectation is that we have enough quality to turn over some of our easier oppositions if we continue in that vain.

2The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Spurs play some decent stuff. Having the likes of Bale, Modric, Van der Fart, Defoe, Walker, Livermore, Adebayor etc etc in their squad, it's easy to see why they are in the top four.

If we play like we did against QPR and Blackburn then we should be too strong for Wolves and that is what the players must do.

3The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

We've got a big hole at the moment in midfield.

We have NRC and Mark Davies two wingers and who else?

Coyle seems to like playing Ream there - so that means Knight will play - if he plays 4-5-1, not good imo.

He could play 4-4-2 also - but Wolves need to win and we really need to keep them from not scoring and let their fans get on their backs - 4-4-2 won't do that - not the way we play it anyway.

I don't think we are out of the woods yet - not by a long way!

4The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:08

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A draw away at Wolves would not be a disaster for us because it keeps the gap between us. The one thing we cannot afford to do is give Wolves all three points.

Wigan's result at Liverpool shows that anything can happen between now and the end of the season.

QPR and Wigan have the toughest fixtures to complete so it's up to us to grind out results.

5The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 15:23

Change? A little more passion but not much else. I live in hope.

6The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 15:44

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Nah I don't think it's a passion thing. It's definitely a coached in aspect of our game which has been lacking for some time.

7The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 15:47

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've not seen a massive improvement tbh.

I've seen players try and pass the ball more, but largely they're incapable of doing so, so it's counterproductive in many respects.

I'm stunned that professional players can't pass and move, but then we've seen it for years with people like Knight, Steinsson, Paul Robinson etc.

We'll get there i think, Coyle had Burnley playing exceptional football. Unfortunately a few of his buys have been poor here, and some of the inherited players have been truly awful.

8The way we play now Empty Re: The way we play now Thu Mar 29 2012, 16:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jayjay, you need to stop watching games on Ceefax.

There has been no change in style whatsoever, it just happens we've won two games on the bounce and everyone is more upbeat. We still play far too much long ball, but worst of all, no one seems comfortable on the ball when we do have it.

Lose at Wolves and people will perhaps wake up a bit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum