Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trlpe Shops, Ironmongers, Back St Bookies.

+2
Sluffy
Banks of the Croal
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

That's some of my memories, being a kid.

What's yours?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cobble stones, coats for goal posts, and school ink wells.

Spending the entire six week holidays playing football and cricket on Shepherd's Cross Street playing fields.

Buying Airfix kits from that model shop on Halliwell Rd and then gluing my fingers together.

Cubs then Scouts at the 46th Bolton Delph Hill and going on camp.

Proper bonfires in every back street on Bommy Night before H&S ruined it for everybody.

Moss Street baths and its cockroaches.

Watching St Thomas' play on Holy Harbour.

Hiking up to Cigarette Tunnel with my mates, some butties and a communal bottle of Strike Cola.

Being sent to the chippy on Bennett's lane on a Friday to get fish, chips, peas, scraps and extra pea-wet in a big dish.

....and last but not least, getting the 501 down to Burnden with my Dad to watch the greatest team in world football play in the best ground in England.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Cobble stones
I do like the look of cobble stones.

The was talk about bringing these back to side streets in Bolton not so long back.

Would be a good thing as it would save on resurfacing the cobbles with tarmac although dangerous for cars in icy weather I would have thought.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This one Breadman?

Trlpe Shops, Ironmongers, Back St Bookies. 16718L

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Spending the entire six week holidays playing football and cricket on Shepherd's Cross Street playing fields.

Buying Airfix kits from that model shop on Halliwell Rd and then gluing my fingers together.

Cubs then Scouts at the 46th Bolton Delph Hill and going on camp.

Proper bonfires in every back street on Bommy Night before H&S ruined it for everybody.

Moss Street baths and its cockroaches.

Watching St Thomas' play on Holy Harbour.

Hiking up to Cigarette Tunnel with my mates, some butties and a communal bottle of Strike Cola.

Being sent to the chippy on Bennett's lane on a Friday to get fish, chips, peas, scraps and extra pea-wet in a big dish.

....and last but not least, getting the 501 down to Burnden with my Dad to watch the greatest team in world football play in the best ground in England.

spooky , this sound exactly like my childhhood too!

That's the one, KP.

Lovely stuff. 

Especially when it's warm and full of your mates' Golden Wonder cheese & onion crisp blow-backs.

Norpig,

I must know you "in the real world", mate.

Did you break my Zorro sword in 1976?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Did you break my Zorro sword in 1976?
You sound like you have never let it go Breadders! Very Happy

I loved that sword.

It had a piece of chalk in the end so you could leave big, slashing "Z's" everywhere you went.

Then some bastard broke it.

And I never found out who.

But if I do.........!!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I loved that sword.

It had a piece of chalk in the end so you could leave big, slashing "Z's" everywhere you went.

Then some bastard broke it.

And I never found out who.

But if I do.........!!
 lol!

....thinking about it, there was a weird older kid with huge boggly eyes hanging round at the time.

He smelled like a wet dog and he kept mumbling "Magoo's coming for you!" over and over again.....

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i promise you Breadman it wasn't me! i have a feeling if we met in real life we would recognise each other from somewhere due to our near identical upbringings!

my nickname as a kid was Ernie, does that ring any bells?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm quite enjoying this, I hope you both do know each other! Smile

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Setting fire to and blowing up quarries.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How do you set fire to a quarry?
We used to nick the train warning explosive caps from the railway and blow them up by lobbing stones on them in quarries but there was never a fire. 
There were grass fires near quarries most summers though.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:How do you set fire to a quarry?
We used to nick the train warning explosive caps from the railway and blow them up by lobbing stones on them in quarries but there was never a fire. 
train warning explosive caps?

What are them Wanderlust?

Back in the days before everything was digital, they used to put them on the track to warn the engine driver if there was a problem up ahead.

The train's wheels would set 'em off, thus alerting the driver and he'd then stop.

I think.......

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:How do you set fire to a quarry?

I should have said disused quarries.

We had two near us and they were a dumping ground for all sorts, even the council dumped there.

I remember the industrial paint tins and oil drums going up a treat and the fire brigade coming many times.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Back in the days before everything was digital, they used to put them on the track to warn the engine driver if there was a problem up ahead.

The train's wheels would set 'em off, thus alerting the driver and he'd then stop.

I think.......
Them's the rascals.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Breadman wrote:Back in the days before everything was digital, they used to put them on the track to warn the engine driver if there was a problem up ahead.

I think.......
Them's the rascals.
Cheers guys, hadn't a clue what they were! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum