Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

shops you remember as a kid

+16
Chairmanda
bwfc71
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
rammywhite
Bwfc1958
MartinBWFC
doffcocker
finlaymcdanger
Mr Magoo
Banks of the Croal
gloswhite
karlypants
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1shops you remember as a kid Empty shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 12:07

For me going to the shop meant going to alans at the bottom of hardy mill road in harwood. Usually for a quarter of choc nibbles and a pint of milk.

Next door but one to him there was a sports shop that always had mizuno stuff in it plus i got a few second hand golf clubs for the driving range from there. Then it was a barbers run by the same guy.

Ollys newsagents was a few doors down with a blockbusters next door. Out of all 4 only alans is still there.

All these big supermarkets that do everything is killing local business which is a bit shit.

Blockbusters
C and a
Woolworths
Stolen from ivor
Tandy

All shops i remember from being a kid and are no more Sad

What does everyone else remember

2shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 12:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The United Cow Product shop (UCP) - is there only me that used to like tripe and onions?

Going off on a bit of a tangent - I know it is only the second post in - but I thought I'd mention the cinemas - Odeon and Lido - and the 'baths' - Moss Street, High Street and Bridgeman Steet - clubs - Scamps, Maxwell Plums, Bees Knees - the bird cage in the Arndale - and some old sports stadium down Manchester Road!

Happy days.

Last edited by Sluffy on Sat May 30 2015, 12:40; edited 1 time in total

3shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 12:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Salters sports shop in Farnworth. Got all my gear from there. There was also a little shop up the top end of Cleggs lane in LH called Dovers,where I got my bottles of Tizer.
Kenton's,the first supermarket in Walkden,on Bolton Road. 
There used to be a great store in Bolton where you could buy anything from crockery to lighting,but for the life of me I can't remember what is was called.
Also on Cleggs lane was a grocery shop with the unfortunate name of Swindels.
There was a great little sweet shop near Devonshire road in Eccles where my gran lived,but it's a costcutter now.
C&A and WH Smith in Bolton centre. Spent many happy hours in those two.
Got me thinking has this.

4shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 12:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:There used to be a great store in Bolton where you could buy anything from crockery to lighting,but for the life of me I can't remember what is was called

Whiteheads or Whittakers perhaps?

Also book shops - Chapter and Verse.

Don't get me started on pubs!

5shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 12:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:There used to be a great store in Bolton where you could buy anything from crockery to lighting,but for the life of me I can't remember what is was called

Whiteheads or Whittakers perhaps?

Also book shops - Chapter and Verse.

Don't get me started on pubs!

I'm sure it began with a 'G'.

6shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Gregory and Porrits on Great Moor Steet?

7shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

everyone in Bolton used to buy their jeans in Talibs and i used to spend hours in HMV and X records stocking up on music.

I went to Moss St baths with my primary school every week, it truly was a dump, then we got the water place which was great but that got bulldozed too.

8shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Gregory and Porrits on Great Moor Steet?
cheers  That's the one. Cheers.

9shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

HMV used to be Andy's Records I think, anyone remember that?

Also Gibson Sports in town along with Boydells I think it was called that sold toys.

10shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

think they were 2 separate shops KP, Andys was on the corner and HMV round the corner. I remember Boydells well, it was massive and was always a treat going in there  Very Happy

11shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:think they were 2 separate shops KP, Andys was on the corner and HMV round the corner. I remember Boydells well, it was massive and was always a treat going in there  Very Happy

Yes you are right! Very Happy

I used to love going in Boydells too, I'm sure that they had 2 floors that were split into two as in downstairs for boys and upstairs for girls toys?

Last edited by karlypants on Sat May 30 2015, 13:29; edited 1 time in total

12shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

There used to be a Cassino just along a bit and facing from Andy's Records - back Mawdsley Street, a posh night club too iirc, a wine bar / restraunt called Mr Bojangles (again iirc) where I used to drink cheap beaujolais and further down towards the Dreat Moor Street end, The Bus Inn - which was really rough back in the day.

Not all these places where going at the same time.

13shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:33

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Used to go on the front to the shops in Astley Bridge where ASDA is (where the petrol station is and car park at the side of Blackburn Road), they had a big row of shops they rented out and remember going to Brown's electricals for bulbs and fuses with my dad and also Bridge Cosmetics, Colour Vision and T Coops on the opposite side for those charcoal bisuits for dogs!

Also the video rental shop on the corner! Very Happy

14shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 13:58

I remember Gregory and poritts. I lived opposite there after it closed down for a while.

I worked at stolen from ivor so obviously remember that Smile

X records was my favourite record shop growing up. My room was covered in movie posters and band posters.

I remember the shops in Astley bridge to kp. Wasnt little Italy there.? Nice little pizza shop.

15shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 14:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
I remember the shops in Astley bridge to kp.  Wasnt little Italy there.?  Nice little pizza shop.

Yeah was there for many years, their Mighty Meaty pizza was a tasty one! Very Happy

After ASDA pulled the remaining shops down to extend the car park, about 2 years later Little Italy opened up facing but it doesn't seem to be doing well.

16shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 14:02

karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
I remember the shops in Astley bridge to kp.  Wasnt little Italy there.?  Nice little pizza shop.

Yeah was there for many years, their Mighty Meaty pizza was a tasty one! Very Happy

After ASDA pulled the remaining shops down to extend the car park, about 2 years later Little Italy opened up facing but it doesn't seem to be doing well.

I remember it well. After driving round town with the music pumping in my 1.2 clio with 17" chrome alloys we used to park up and go to little italys Smile

Them where the days

17shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 14:48

Always used to go to a shop called Beardsworths in Breightmet for my football stickers and they made there own Vimto ice lollys which are still the best lollys I've ever had. Used to sell lucky bags as well.

Then there was Breightmet wine shop were I would get my bombay mix, sports mixtures and American Cream soda with liquorice, and when I got older where I used to get 20/20 and Hooch.

In town always used to visit Boydells and a computer shop on Chorley Old Road called Masons Leisure.

18shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 14:51

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We used to visit Computer World when I was a kid for software for my Amiga 600 I still have.

The shop used to be on either Halliwell or Chorley Old Road.

19shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 14:54

20shops you remember as a kid Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:01

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barb Dwyer wrote:It was on Chorley Old Road next to Masons Leisure. 

http://www.retrocorps.com/2012/09/bolton-computer-and-game-shops-video.html?m=1

Thanks for the link Barb, it was a nice little read that! Smile

Not sure why we never went next door to Mason's Leisure, maybe we did but I have no recollection of going there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum