Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

shops you remember as a kid

+16
Chairmanda
bwfc71
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
rammywhite
Bwfc1958
MartinBWFC
doffcocker
finlaymcdanger
Mr Magoo
Banks of the Croal
gloswhite
karlypants
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

21shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:05

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Gregory and Porrits on Great Moor Steet?
cheers  That's the one. Cheers.

Was this the one opposite the old Bolton County Grammar school ? I remember coming out of the school, crossing the road, and wandering about a shop that did everything, but I left in 1963, and never did know the actual name.
Also, on the way to school I used to get off the bus (from Deane) in Ashburner street, walk around to Newport Street, and Thorntons sweet shop. (That was when the shop was fairly new in the town, and buses ran down the street)
Grand times.

22shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:12

gloswhite wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Was this the one opposite the old Bolton County Grammar school ? I remember coming out of the school, crossing the road, and wandering about a shop that did everything, but I left in 1963, and never did know the actual name.
Also, on the way to school I used to get off the bus (from Deane) in Ashburner street, walk around to Newport Street, and Thorntons sweet shop. (That was when the shop was fairly new in the town, and buses ran down the street)
Grand times.

Thats the one gw because i lives in the grammar school for a few years Smile

23shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:18

I thought Gregory and Porrits was down the side of Mcdonalds near the Halifax.

24shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:22

Anyone remember the original Laser Strike place? Not the Laser Quest that was where the old cinema used to be. It was near Tims Gym.

25shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:33

I remember the Hollywood bowl down the back streets.

The laser quest and the old cinema next door i visited a lot.

26shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Barb Dwyer wrote:I thought Gregory and Porrits was down the side of Mcdonalds near the Halifax.

Same shop but it had two locations.

The original, and very much older branch was the Great Moor Street one.

Anyone remember the New Zealand Chief, or the iron footbridge that ran from the back of Great Moor Street to the station at Trinity Street?

Off course the station was on the other side of Trinity Street back then.

27shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:42

Does anyone remember the chippy down the side street behind the mcd's.  Used to love the babs head chips and gravy from there. Me and my nan used to go in there for a treat or to the little cafe in st andrews court for a toasted teacake Smile

28shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 15:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Does anyone remember the chippy down the side street behind the mcd's.  Used to love the babs head chips and gravy from there. Me and my nan used to go in there for a treat or to the little cafe in st andrews court for a toasted teacake Smile

I think it's still there?

Can't remember the name of it though!

Never visited the place either.

29shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 16:31

So you've never been there, don't know it's name or even if it is still open. As anecdotes go thats a bit rubbish.

30shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 17:19

Saturday mornings used to be jump on the 501 opposite the Co-op butchers at the junction of Elgin St / Church Rd and then get off outside Derek Guest's and blow all my pocket money in there on records and playing Space Invaders and Galaxian.

I used to deliver papers for Gulshan's paper shop on Bennetts Lane when it was owned by the ugliest family in the world.

Toffees came from The Candy Box on Ivy Road (can't remember what it was called before that) and haircuts were supplied by Neville of the imaginatively named Neville's on Church Rd.

(Not a full shilling, looked like Gomez Adams and was a bit odd but he got me into Road Racing on my bike as a teen and I thank him for that.)

And all family special occasion meals were split between The Coaching House and The Lamplighter.

Happy, happy days......

31shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 19:43

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

y2johnny wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Grand times.

Thats the one gw because i lives in the grammar school for a few years Smile

Cheers Jonny, and now I know    :good:

Best chippy for me in those days was on Willows Lane, Deane. Always good.

32shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 20:08

My aunty lived on willows lane. Plus a girl i was seeing,  her mum and dad had a shop not far from there.

And button bashers.  Does anyone remember that up st Helens Road

33shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 21:02

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Remember all those places Sluffy mentioned. 

There was aTripe shop on Ainsworth Lane, I didn't eat the stuff but my parents did.

Mad Jacks the Barbers on Tonge Moor  Rd.Shocked 

A sports shop at the bottom of Folds Rd, Len Tobutts? Where we got our Slugs from for our Air rifles.

A Ironmongers on Bury Rd that used to sell Fireworks, Bangers earlier than anyone else.

Great days Shocked

34shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 21:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 TOBUTTS_zps7ef2e742

35shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 21:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't think he had been going that long! Shocked

He still has the shop facing ASDA in Astley Bridge! Smile

36shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 21:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Shop%20216

A true family business, something you don't see much these days!

37shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 21:54

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The shop I was on about was in this area of Folds Rd.

shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Foldsrde49

38shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 22:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Len Tobutts was on Higher Bridge street originally, there is some history about the business at the bottom of the page here

39shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 22:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

40shops you remember as a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Sat May 30 2015, 22:21

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It might have been Albert Wards, then.

I will have to wait till I see one the lads from those days.

If there are any of them left Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum