Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

shops you remember as a kid

+16
Chairmanda
bwfc71
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
rammywhite
Bwfc1958
MartinBWFC
doffcocker
finlaymcdanger
Mr Magoo
Banks of the Croal
gloswhite
karlypants
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

121shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 19:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:I was toying with the idea of a drive through chippy.  I reckon it would be a big hit
You and your takeaways! Very Happy

HomeMADE quessadillas (sp.) Tonight
:clap:  Very Happy

122shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 19:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
karlypants wrote:We're you from around Astley Bridge RT? Smile

Nope..brought up on Daubhill... Cannon Street no less but my grandfather lived off Halliwell Road just behind the Lamb pub. Probably on the same street as Norpigs. Used to play darts for the Lamb in the seventies. Billy Flyers no less. Billy Harte was the captain and he drove a HGV delivering fruit and was known as Billy Fruit.
I only know the Lamb pub just before ASDA.
Mo think we have talked about this before, seems to ring a bell! Smile

123shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 20:30

The Lamb is on the left hand side about two thirds of the way down.

It's between (and I'm doing this from memory, so forgive me if I'm wrong) The Belle Vue and The Sharman.

It's called something else now.

I played pool for the Lamb when Terry had it in the early 90's.

Angry little bastard, he was......

124shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 20:31

karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
karlypants wrote:
y2johnny wrote:I was toying with the idea of a drive through chippy.  I reckon it would be a big hit
You and your takeaways! Very Happy

HomeMADE quessadillas (sp.) Tonight
:clap:  Very Happy

Last night i had a bacon cheese burger from essence and onion rings Smile

Google essence swinton. They are ace. They even do roast dinners and deliver on a sunday

125shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 21:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Breadman wrote:The Lamb is on the left hand side about two thirds of the way down.

It's between (and I'm doing this from memory, so forgive me if I'm wrong) The Belle Vue and The Sharman.

It's called something else now.

I played pool for the Lamb when Terry had it in the early 90's.

Angry little bastard, he was......

I'm fairly sure the Lamb was a Greenall's pub iirc.

The Sharmon was called The Derby Hotel when I first started drinking in there many, many moons ago.

126shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 22:44

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The shops I remember as a kid, was thanks to my mum, very racist.

127shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Mon Jun 01 2015, 23:38

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Is I either Lord Ragland or The Las Order which used to be The Lamb or are we till talking a bit further down Halaliwell Road - past the Claremont?

128shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Tue Jun 02 2015, 00:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc71 wrote:Is I either Lord Ragland or The Las Order which used to be The Lamb or are we till talking a bit further down Halaliwell Road - past the Claremont?

It IS the Claremont that used to be the Lamb.

Probably will be the closest pub to your new home too! (It would have been the Portland but that is long gone now).

129shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Tue Jun 02 2015, 07:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

This thread has run well. At this rate you'll all be meeting up in one of the pubs Very Happy

130shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Tue Jun 02 2015, 18:46

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to drink in a few pubs at the bottom of Blackburn Road as well. The wrestler Colin Joynson had the last pub before the lights and then round the corner on Blackburn Road you had the Old Original British Queen, The Victoria British Queen and The Bowling Green. All now long gone..sadly.

131shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Tue Jun 02 2015, 18:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just remembered the New Inn was Colin Joynson's pub.

132shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Tue Jun 02 2015, 18:53

My nan and grandad used to run the nab gate in harwood. I was never really a pub person. I like decent pubs that do nice traditional pub grub though

133shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Wed Jun 03 2015, 08:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Just remembered the New Inn was Colin Joynson's pub.
 my Dad used to drink in there all the time, i once walked past there and i saw Colin throw a man out while he was still sat on his stool!

Saw him many years later at the Hospital i work at as he was unfortunately having his leg removed due to diabetes. We had a chat about his wrestling and the New Inn.

134shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Wed Jun 03 2015, 11:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Just remembered the New Inn was Colin Joynson's pub.
 my Dad used to drink in there all the time, i once walked past there and i saw Colin throw a man out while he was still sat on his stool!

Saw him many years later at the Hospital i work at as he was unfortunately having his leg removed due to diabetes. We had a chat about his wrestling and the New Inn.

He was a proper gent was Colin. Your Dad will probably remember Big Jim Hunter who ran the Black Dog a bit further up from the New Inn.

135shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Wed Jun 03 2015, 23:33

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:Is I either Lord Ragland or The Las Order which used to be The Lamb or are we till talking a bit further down Halaliwell Road - past the Claremont?

Probably will be the closest pub to your new home too!  (It would have been the Portland but that is long gone now).

Literally at the bottom of the street (and across Halaliwell Road)

136shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Wed Jun 03 2015, 23:51

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What I rember of drinking on Halliwell rd, most of the Pubs were on the right hand side.

Whereas on Blackburn rd you could cross over a few times, to get your fill.

137shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Thu Jun 04 2015, 00:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc71 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Probably will be the closest pub to your new home too!  (It would have been the Portland but that is long gone now).

Literally at the bottom of the street (and across Halaliwell Road)

Go on, I give up!

That's three times now and no one as said anything.

Is that what people call the area these days, is it your joke, or do you simply not know how to spell the word?

Halliwell.

Question

138shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Thu Jun 04 2015, 01:14

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Casual racism

139shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Thu Jun 04 2015, 08:34

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

to be fair the bottom end of Halliwell Road has always had a large Asian population but i did make me chuckle (and no i'm not racist thanks)

140shops you remember as a kid - Page 7 Empty Re: shops you remember as a kid Thu Jun 04 2015, 22:20

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It is a bit of a joke more than anything, although it does fit nicely instead of Halliwell - and it isn't racism or casual racism, Boggers - don't forget what the nickname of Darcy Lever, Dolly Tub City - and other parts of Bolton has nicknames which refers to industry or common practice of the area.

How many outlets on Halliwell Road serve Halal meat? - and yes I do eat it as it doesn't me how an animal is slaughtered for its meat (as by our religious code we should be doing similar to both Judaism and Islam).   But realistically speaking near my new house there are 3 "local" shops and each of them are Polish - and it was weird seeing Kinder Surprise eggs in Polish writing rather than English - but a Kinder Surprise is a Kinder Surprise in any language ;-)  and then there are plenty of British run pubs as well as Team Fury gym (the old Robin Hood pub) - definitely a good mix of people :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum